Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Harem pants

Post Thanks / Like

It's a matter of taste more than anything else. If they look like bell bottoms (coming down on top of the foot) instead of like harem pants gathered at the ankle, I think they are too long. If they come down straight to the gathered ankle with no blousing at all, I think they are too short. I like mine to bloom out above the gathering and curve in at the ankle so that it is obvious they are gathered. I wear mine very full in the legs so that they almost look like a skirt, and I like to use georgette or (if I am feeling rich) silk because I like the hand of these fabrics. I don't care for stiff fabrics in harem pants. Your harem pants may look very different when you make them of the costume fabric. If they are too long, you can always shorten them when you make the real things.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Shanazel!

The harem pants were a little bit too long so when I made them from my costume fabric, I trimmed about an inch and a half from the top of them. the result is they nicely bloom over the elastic, but not so much that they look silly. I'm very pround of them, seeing as they're only the third thing I've ever sewn!!

thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

You are welcome. I wish you many more sewing projects and tons of success!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Default ruffled harem pants

I like harempants, but I haven't made any recently for perfomance.
    I definitely want make some, it would be great for sword / candles, and it would be different. Not too many people wear them around here, at least the dancers I've seen.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the making of ruffled harem pants, like the one Petite Jamilla is wearing. I don't have a link to it, but it's on Youtube somewhere - she wears lime green.

I know I can make it, but I'm wondering if those ruffles are long triangles, or circlular shapes, and exactly how they are attached, and how many...

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm hoping someone has these pants or maybe made them already.

thank you, Marianna

Post Thanks / Like

I wear harem pants under my skirts, have done so for basically every performance I've done other than our most recent troupe adventure. I have made them in colors that coordinate with my skirts so that they're not glaringly obvious under the skirts; I just like being a little more covered even though I love the classic cabaret look.

I also like harem pants under my skirts because I get the spin and feel feminine in a skirt, but for doing floor work I don't have to worry about flashing someone a little more than I planned to .

At a performance I was in several months ago one of the ME audience members complained to our instructor about the harem pants, asking why American dancers never show any leg. Other than that I don't think anyone stops to think about it; I've never heard anyone else say anything at least.

Post Thanks / Like

I wear harem pants- Im not used to wearing a skirt anyways; but I totally love my pants!! (l)

Post Thanks / Like

Harem pants do not work on me -- I am petite and very curvy and they make me look fat! I like the look on other people, though; Didem looks beautiful in hers. She's very slim, of course, so the extra billowyness is flattering.

Post Thanks / Like

Marianna, if you find out how to make Jamilla's harem pants, let me know. They are gorgeous- I've not seen anything like that flare when she spins. I suspect the "wings" are triangles of fabric attached along the short sides to the pants themsleves, but I'm not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Gaylene's Boutique

Here's a link to a pattern for the ruffled pants like Petite Jamillah wears. The picture of the pants is at the bottom of the page, they're called the Endless Wave harems.

Post Thanks / Like

You're a brick, Suhad! Thanks. Looking at the still picture, I wonder if what I am seeing is a basic pair of harem pants with a series of circle ruffles sewn vertically down the legs. Not what I expected seeing the pair on Jamilla, but I'm no expert. A'isha Azar, costumer, where are you? Expert interpretation needed.

Yes, I know, I could buy a pattern, but it is so much fun to figure this stuff out.I think I'll pin a circle ruffle to an existing pair of harem pants and see how it looks. If it's good, I'll try a whole new pair.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast