Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Harem pants

Post Thanks / Like

The boutique ones look like they've got rectangular pieces attached by one long side, so they fall in waves but would have the top corners fly out in spins. But they can't just be plain rectanges all the way down or they'd trail on the ground.

If I'm looking at the right clip Jamilla's ruffles are tapered in somehow to the ankles. Looking at how they drape and spin out, I think semicircles or something similar, folded in half with folds at the top draping to about knee level, and attached to the harem pants vertically along their straight edges.

Post Thanks / Like

That fits in with my triangular addition idea, Aniseteph, but I hadn't figured out exactly how they might be added. I still think the boutique pattern harem pants are circle ruffles- imagine cutting narrow strips on the bias the way you'd cut a circle skirt, with a curve at the narrow part and a curve at the wide part. Then sew the narrow edge along a straight line down the harem pants. You'd get that draping effect with no hangover at the bottom of the pants. I've seen circle ruffles used in horzintal rows on harem pants in an Alice in Wonderland play- I made a point of searching out the costumer and asking what I was seeing. It was a very pretty effect, but I think I like the vertical rows as well or even better.

Post Thanks / Like

Default With belt?

I wpold love to have harem pant when i perform, but i would like to have the kind that has a "built in belt", beaded or with fringes with matching bra, i cant find any though, not in sweden ofcurse and ebay only has the boring regular kind, any one have these pants then pls tell me where u got them

Hugs!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    That fits in with my triangular addition idea, Aniseteph, but I hadn't figured out exactly how they might be added. I still think the boutique pattern harem pants are circle ruffles- imagine cutting narrow strips on the bias the way you'd cut a circle skirt, with a curve at the narrow part and a curve at the wide part. Then sew the narrow edge along a straight line down the harem pants. You'd get that draping effect with no hangover at the bottom of the pants. I've seen circle ruffles used in horzintal rows on harem pants in an Alice in Wonderland play- I made a point of searching out the costumer and asking what I was seeing. It was a very pretty effect, but I think I like the vertical rows as well or even better.
    I was going to say "I agree with Shanazel" in my post but I just keep on saying that... You're probably right about the boutique ones - those circle ruffles would have more of a waterfall drape because of the bias and you could taper them in nicely. Take way more fabric though!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they look nice if they fit right and they look comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    I was going to say "I agree with Shanazel" in my post but I just keep on saying that... You're probably right about the boutique ones - those circle ruffles would have more of a waterfall drape because of the bias and you could taper them in nicely. Take way more fabric though!
    My idea of an agreeable person is one who agrees with me . It would take more fabric, but we're talkin' belly dance costumes here- who's counting? And if you stitch several short circles together, you could make a long ruffle out of a fairly small piece of fabric. Have to make nice narrow seams to keep the flow, of course.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 09-10-2007 at 11:25 PM. Reason: misspelled "and" for criminey sakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Harem Pants

L. Rose has some brocade/see-through harem pants that are gorgeous. I have black and like to wear them with a string skirt over the top for a skirt-like effect.

L. Rose Designs - Fabric Selection

Post Thanks / Like

harem pants i find look lovely on tall stickly people...on short curvy people (like myself) not so much. i look like a loveseat in harem pants.

Post Thanks / Like

A loveseat, indeed. One of my students is short and curvy and looks delightful in her harem pants. Try a pair that are not too full in the leg or hip, and make sure they don't drag on the ground, which is almost guarenteed to make a dancer look like she has been playing in her mom's belly dance stash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    harem pants i find look lovely on tall stickly people...on short curvy people (like myself) not so much. i look like a loveseat in harem pants.
    Over the years I've been involved in belly dance, I've come to appreciate all figure types. I too felt only thin people looked good in the pants until I saw a dance troupe at Medfest in West Seattle in them. The troupe had all body types including short and voluptuous. They looked great. It is what convinced me to try them.

Maybe you'd like a thin fabric that has a more sleek look. I would love to make or buy ones like in this picture that has scarves. They look slimming.

Ask The Costume Goddess: Harem Pants

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast