BD in Columbus Indiana

Q-Tip

Ok there are no BD instructors here and the closest one is almost an hour away - - - - - - :wall:

I sent her an email asking if she would be teaching any classes here or if she would be performing locally anytime in the near future. (We have several local events in the spring and summer that are ethnically diverse and I always like to attend if I can.)

Per the directory she teaches Cabaret and Tribal but according to everything I've read the basic moves in BD are universal and learning the basic moves correctly is the immediate need.

I hope that sending her an email isn't considered rude in the BD community and I am eagerly awaiting her response.

KuteNurse

Ok there are no BD instructors here and the closest one is almost an hour away - - - - - - :wall:

I sent her an email asking if she would be teaching any classes here or if she would be performing locally anytime in the near future. (We have several local events in the spring and summer that are ethnically diverse and I always like to attend if I can.)

Per the directory she teaches Cabaret and Tribal but according to everything I've read the basic moves in BD are universal and learning the basic moves correctly is the immediate need.

I hope that sending her an email isn't considered rude in the BD community and I am eagerly awaiting her response.

Not rude at all Qtip. If she does not travel, it might be worth your while to travel the 1 hour to her class once a week. Plus, it will feel good to get away. I do not know what your schedule is like, but it might work for you:) Good luck.

Q-Tip

Not rude at all Qtip. If she does not travel, it might be worth your while to travel the 1 hour to her class once a week. Plus, it will feel good to get away. I do not know what your schedule is like, but it might work for you:) Good luck.
Right now I can't travel there for financial reasons but maybe in a few months I can OR maybe by then she'll have classes in my town. :D

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Hey QT, who are you looking at?
You can PM me if you want. I know a great deal of the Bloomington/Indy crowd and can recommend some or steer you away from a few.

Q-Tip

Hey QT, who are you looking at?
You can PM me if you want. I know a great deal of the Bloomington/Indy crowd and can recommend some or steer you away from a few.
I would very much appreciate any information you have regarding the instructors. There aren't any listed in the phone book for my area so the only names I have are from the "Belly Dance Instructors" link on the left.

I emailed the instructor in Shelbyville but she only has classes there and doesn't plan to add any in my area.

I haven't contacted any of the Indy or Bloomington instructors due to the distance. Indy is an hour away and Bloomington is further than that. I'm working 2 jobs so I can't travel for classes right now and my truck sucks gas like a newborn baby drinking milk. (that stinks!)

Do instructors ever offer a "one time" private session (for a fee of course) just to go through the basic movements and correct your form or is that considered an insult? If they offer that I might be able to do a one time session in a month or so but It would be cheaper to rent a car for the trip than to put gas in my truck LOLOLOL.

I ordered the Bellytwins 3 disk instructional set and I'm waiting for that to come in.

I'm rambling again aren't I?

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I would very much appreciate any information you have regarding the instructors. There aren't any listed in the phone book for my area so the only names I have are from the "Belly Dance Instructors" link on the left.
I emailed the instructor in Shelbyville but she only has classes there and doesn't plan to add any in my area.

I only know her through email. Sorry :(

Do instructors ever offer a "one time" private session (for a fee of course) just to go through the basic movements and correct your form or is that considered an insult?

NO, it's not an insult. As a teacher I would totally recommend this. You will actually get a lot out of an hour session (or two hours) and be sure you tape the instruction. I go to Louisville once a month, for just such a thing. It's massivley helpful.

I'd talk to Taletha -- you can email her at her site: Taletha, Belly Dancer - Louisville, Kentucky
She's an EXCELLENT instructor and she's well-versed in many styles of dance, but focuses on Egyptian. She's very very sweet and she might travel -- she's done it before. Expect to pay her gas, and whatever hourly rate for instruction.

If you find yourself in the southern cornfields, look me up. I'll help you out. :)

You can always try the SCA -- lots of times someone will offer bellydance class in the SCA. For you the link is:
The Shire of Cuil Choluim

You can also ask at the local university for non-credit bellydance classes. If they get enough requests, they'll bring in somebody from out of town.

KuteNurse

Right now I can't travel there for financial reasons but maybe in a few months I can OR maybe by then she'll have classes in my town. :D

Aww...i wish you luck and I hope you can take classes. Try getting a group together at a local high school and maybe a teacher will be willing to travel? Watch lots of UTube videos and keep up here:) Good luck sweets and I will look forward to your posts.

Q-Tip

**Update**

In May 2007 there weren't any local instructors - the closest one is an hour away.

Yesterday I decided to check again: I called all of the local dance studios. Still no BD classes and none of them are even considering them as future classes.

I still can't travel an hour away to take lessons for various reasons. I guess I'll just have to rely on instructional dvd's for now.

maybe I could learn from youtube..........where's that thread....does it have links....... :think: :lol:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Are you an ISAMETD member? I'll post to their list and see if they have any teachers listed for the columbus area. There was a WORKSHOP in Columbus once, so at some point SOMEBODY was teaching there!

Q-Tip

Are you an ISAMETD member? I'll post to their list and see if they have any teachers listed for the columbus area. There was a WORKSHOP in Columbus once, so at some point SOMEBODY was teaching there!
No, I'm not a member of ISAMETD. I looked at the list of instructors and the closest to me are Bloomington and Indy - both are an hour or more away.