Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you bellydance to different occassions

Hi all,

I was prompted to write this because I come across these questions a lot.

One time I was asked to bellydance in a high school. I was asked not to do shoulder shimmies not to do pelvic moves and not to do this and that. I was also aksed to wear a costume that is not sexy. BTW, I was preseting this as a part of egyptian cultural studies program. Eventhough I was very uncomfortable with what I was told, I kinda understand what I was asked to present. I was asked NOT to present the dance like a sexy dance. Anyways I did Baladi and Saidi in a full dress and they were happy.

Yet another time, I was asked by the client to wear a revealing costume and show more cleavge etc., I tried to explain about the dance but he kept insisting that this dance is a sexy dance and more sexy the costume, the better the dance. I was fed up and told him go and look for a stripper. I didn't not do this show. BTW, It was a high profile corporate annual ball for bankers. Have I done the right thing? What would you do in this situation? In that show they has chinese dances and flemenco dance and a live band. Nothing sleazy about the show lineup!!!!

Adults only parties. I have no problem performing to adults only parties as long as they are not adult themed parties. Many corporate events are adults only parties!!! But I don't do men only and bachelor parties.

I would like to hear your insight into this very important subject. What works what doesn't work!!!

Cheers
    Janaki

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree. He was out of line to ask you to wear something sexy and very revealing. Granted BDers do dress sexy, however there is a fine line. How were you to know you would not be entering a dangerous situation?? I am glad you followed your instincts and told him you would not dance like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Janaki, You followed your heart and intellectual instincts which in my opionon is the right thing! Obviuosly your attempts to educate the second client was wasted but you upheld your principle. Good for you.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance, etc.

Dear Janaki,
    You did not mention the nationality of the man who asked you to dress sexy.
    The only man who ever suggested that to me was an American, and I set him straight as far as telling him that I am a dancer, not a hooker and I know how to dress for my profession, just as he knows how to dress for his. No more was said. This IS a sexy dance. Part of the sexiness of the dance is the power and energy of the personality of the dancer..... not to be confused with cheap trick sleazy.

Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar
    know how to dress for my profession, just as he knows how to dress for his
    That's the best response ever!

Post Thanks / Like

A'isha -

I have never been asked to dress more revealingly, but I have had costume requests or comments to the effect that one particular costume was sexier than the other. These were from Middle Eastern restaurant owners (Lebanese and Syrian). They were not overt and were trying to be tactful in their point, but still...

I think it's just a male thing in general!