Thread: Sheep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Well, that was certainly vapid. I lasted about one minute before I'd seen enough.

Recnadocir, you can never overdo the sheep metaphors. Those of us in sheep country appreciate them. The friend of a friend from Australia visited here a few years ago. At one point, she referred to herself as looking "rather daggy." I asked what that meant. She said, Have you ever noticed those tags of wool, twigs, and other icky stuff that hangs from off the back legs of an unsheared sheep? Yes, I have. Well, said she, those are dags.

I'd say that video rates about a 10 on the daggy-meter.
    Gut tag Shanazel
    We call this dag stuff "klotsmirja" in Icelandic. Means roughly the same thing, junk on sheep. Townies have been known to scrape off and eat...yukk

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there fellow sheep lovers
    i live on a 600 acre farm here in good ol' blighty, we've hundreds of sheep, and We call the 'daggy bits' or 'klotsmirja' - "CLAGS".

ha ha ha he he - 'klotsmirja' - I like it !! xx :eek:

Post Thanks / Like

We may need our own Sheep Thread somewhere. I never raised sheep myself- my folks were cattle people- but as a weaver, I have a special interest in "range maggots."
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should explain that "range maggots" and "grass maggots" are terms applied to our wooly friends by ranchers who don't appreciate the damage done to range by sheep, who tend to rip grass out by the roots instead of decoriously biting it off.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

ha ha . now i get ya !

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry- I reckon that term was a mite esoteric.

Post Thanks / Like

Yay sheep!

They feed my other obsession, spinning and knitting! (learning to dye with native plants presently)

Post Thanks / Like

I have done some knitting and some spinning, but weaving is turning into a passion for me. I have a Navajo loom and am teaching myself with the aid of a few good books. So far, so good. I have a lifetime of experieince in other fiber arts, so am having fewer problems with the loom in terms of tension, etc. than I might have had if I'd started up cold.

Hey, Rick, were you lying about Icelandic terms for dags? I couldn't get any recognizeable word by spelling it backwards.