Hairstyles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reen.Blom

I cant stand short hair! I look totally ridiculous with it!

Now I have hair longer than shoulders, and I would like to grow it longer, but it just does not grow! It reaches this length and stops! If I trim the ends it grows to the same length and this is it! It is soooo annoying! I have always wanted it longer.... :(

Venefica

Try to massage your head every day, rub deep and hard this will stimulate blood flow in the hair roots.

Cut split ends more often this will not only protect the hair but also stimulate it to grow.

Also there is many special hair product to make hair grow as well as food suplements. Make sure you have all your vitamins. Also try to wash your hair in as cold wather as possible, that stimulate the hair roots as well at protect the hair from the otherwise used warm wather. Hair do not like to be washed in to warm wather. Avoid chemicaly treating your hair as mutch as possible. And if you belive in theese sort of things here is a spell for growing hair fast. The spell is nothing I have written, it is written by somone else.

Say these words thrice as you hold the part of body you wish hair to grow...

Stretch it
Twist it
Make it grow
Like a river
Let it flow
Three times fast shall this hair grow
This is my will
So mote it be

Good luck.

Wiggly

Hi Gwinty/everyone
I know what you mean. My hair is quite long and very thick, it is frizzy/wavy and it irritates the hell out of me when I'm warm. I straighten it most of the time even then it's itchy.

A question now, does any one know of any good products to help with this kind of hair?
I was thinking of trying a new hair do too but can't find any really good sites to find styles for long hair, any suggestions?

MyCapoeira

I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but I prefer long hair. I consider it another piece of the costume, one that is used in the dance. Its movement is directly related to the movement of the body, and they contrast each other nicely.

However, I have no problem with short haired dancers. They still have a beauty and elegance to be appreciated by all. In some cases, short hair allows us to see more of the performer, in the sense that their face is not covered.

Although I prefer the face gets covered here and there, because it signifies mystique and the unknown, which makes belly dancing so appealing.

miriam

I like my hair long, even though I LOVE some short hair styles. I'm just not brave enough to cut it yet.

My first instructor had pretty short hair, but it matched her really well and I don't think it took away from her dancing at all and she was in pretty high demand.

jannine

My hair is short to suit my lifestyle (farm life). My new waist long red wig, goes to the hairdressers next week, to suit my face. If I wear it, thats fine, if I don't, thats ok too. I love to wear beautifull headcoverings, anyway. It depends on what I feel like doing that day.

be blessed

Didi

I also tend to sweat a LOT when I dance, the running joke about how hard we worked in class is how far down the length of my hair is it wet, so having the front pulled back keeps it from sticking to my face/neck as well as keeping from going to a wet stringy mess hanging around my face.

I am so glad to read this! I rarely wear my hair down to practice, but whenever I do, I wonder if I am a freak or something because it starts to get wet and stick to my neck and back. Last night, we celebrated my birthday (better late than never) with a girls' night out to my favorite lebanese restaurant in town, and it's crazy dancing time there (fantastic!), and one of the belly dancers knew it was my birthday and draped her veil around my neck! Eek! I ripped it off almost immediately, trying to be discreet, thinking all the time oh-my-god I'm destroying that beautiful lavender silk with my sweaty hair all over it! :lol:

So it's great to read that someone else has this problem...I don't seem to sweat much on my face, but on my neck, it gets really hot I guess with all that heavy hair draped over it. :(

In sweaty solidarity, :lol:
Didi

Chloe

Say these words thrice as you hold the part of body you wish hair to grow...

Stretch it
Twist it
Make it grow
Like a river
Let it flow
Three times fast shall this hair grow
This is my will
So mote it be

Good luck.

Oh my gosh, I better not touch my legs if I use that one..:shok:

gisela

Super Moderator
Oh my gosh, I better not touch my legs if I use that one..:shok:

HAHAHA,that's funny

I wonder if many people use it for other body parts than the head? We should give it a try though, and PLEEEASE report back if you managed to get REALLY long chest hair or something:D

adiemus

Tee hee! That was my first thought too....

My hair is short, and not likely to grow long again - so I bought this awesome wig that is long and curly and blonde/red! Quite unlike my short, dark, fine and very curly hair! But if I was to dance with my short hair I have made some headpieces to decorate the hair, and I also have a clip-on ponytail in my natural hair colour.
I would prefer to have long natural hair, but people say the most silly things when you're over 40 and have long hair...sigh...

MyCapoeira

I still stress my opinion of long hair being better, but I am also not a female with long hair so I can not comment on many of the problems you may have.

Moon

Just ignore those comments Adiemus! Ignore them! It's your hair and your decision if you want to let it grow.
I had tailbone length hair when I just went to highschool. A lot of people on primary school liked my long hair, but there, suddenly my hair was boring and I needed a trendy hair cut and blah blah blah and people were even stepping on it! :mad: I waited until they stopped whining and then let it cut to bra strap length, so they would think it was my own decision.
Now, I have someone who like my hair again so I want to get back to tailbone lenght :D

By the way, you don't always have to let your hair hang loose when you're dancing. Something like a braid or something with a scarf can look very nice too.

TinaL

My hair is very long, too, and I love to wear it down when I dance. Most of the time I pull it back in front, but let it flow in back. My husband says it's another "veil"!

Shanazel

Adiemus, I am over fifty and have waist length hair. Either I am surrounded by long hair loving folks or no one has the nerve to make negative comments to my face (I apparently get more intimidating as I get older). There are those who think I am an "old hippie" (a redundancy if there ever was one!), but there are worse things to be:).

Erin

I have worn my hair many different ways when I perform. For most of my adult life, it has been just below my shoulder blades (it has never grown any longer). I went to Spain a few years ago and saw a painting of a woman from the 1930's who had a chin length curly bob. It was fantastic, so when I got home, I had my hair styled that way. No one recognized me. They knew me by my admittedly beautiful long hair (I love my hair, sorry, no modesty here):D
I danced that way for a year, and at first, felt that it did not fit the image, but then, because the whole point was that it was a '30's do, I figured that American actresses from that era who played dancers wore their hair that way, and so I should just go with the flow, so to speak. My hair is now back to its original length, and if I am performing in a glamourous evening performance I wear it down. If I am outside and it is hot or windy, I style it up. Find something that is flattering on you and appropriate for the venue and you can't go wrong.

Erin

PS I also just flat out love flipping my hair, and do it as much as possible :lol: I look for shampoos that smell good too. I love Timotei's copper radiance. My daughter says it smells like a cinnamon bun. But it is not available in the US, so I order it from the UK and use it only on special occasions. Blahdy, blah, blah.

Venefica

There are those that think one should not have long hair if one is over 35, but I just think that is silly. As my hair is growing I am loving my hair and I plan on keeping it, including when I round 40 and 50 and 60 and so on.

Erin I have never head of that shampoo, you are saying that is is good?

Erin

Venefica,
Sorry it took me so long to respond. Busy weekend. Anyway, I am 44 and think you should wear your hair in such a way as is flattering to yourself. No matter how old you are. My mom has had short hair for as long as I have known her, and I can't imagine it any other way. She's tried to grow it out but it has a crazy natural curl that just does not work on long hair, nor does she look good with long hair, soooooooooooooo.... . I also know a few older women who have long hair that is very thin and they don't wash it often enough, then they wear it up in a bun on top of their heads, and it looks unattractive and greasy. bleah.

It wasn't too many years (decades [maybe a century...]) ago that every woman had long hair for their whole entire life. So I say "pooh!" to people who think they should follow such silly rules! :)

About the shampoo; my daughter travelled all over Europe a couple years ago, and it's one of the things that she brought home as a gift for me. I am not sure in what country she bought it, but since I liked it so much, I looked it up on the net, and found it at a place called the Brit Super Store. It makes my hair soft and shiny, and again it smells really good! The only problem, the shipping from Britain makes it really expensive. If you can find it where you are, it's actually not all that bad, cost-wise.

Erin

Venefica

Hi

Shanazel sorry for disappearing. It varies how social I am and sometimes I just drop out of forums for a while. Sorry.

Erin I to think pepole should wear their hair the way they like it and the way that look good on them. It have to be an individual choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.