Hairstyles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madeline

Should a dancer’s hair always be worn loose, or is it acceptable to have it pulled back in some sort of hairstyle?

Mouse

I like to wear mine loose, but thats just its very long and its a personal preference. Other dancers I know will wear their hair up or back and I think it also looks lovely.

miss_shimmy

hi

well madeline,i was wondering the same!!:)

i think as long as it looks pretty and it feels good,then that is good.

:)

amanda
xxxxxxxxxx

Moon

I think other hairstyles are ok too.
I had my hair loose during my performance, but I always pull it back during class or when practicing at home. I don't like my hair laying on the ground during warm-ups and my room is always very warm.

Salome

Administrator
Should a dancer’s hair always be worn loose, or is it acceptable to have it pulled back in some sort of hairstyle?

A dancer can wear her hair in any fashion that suits her :) Long, loose hair is a common 'style' among American style Oriental dancers. But partially pulled up, ponytail, french twist, bun, braid... short hair, medium length...

Hair

I wear my hair in braids, partially cornrowed in the front and single loose braids in the back. Most recently, I'm letting the ends of thr braids hang free. Braided hairstyle is so easy to maintain and versatile for cabaret or tribal performances
Yasmine

Aniseteph

I've got the "wrong" hair for bellydance! In my pre BD days it was really long, but now it's ultra short - I've got nothing to swish or tousle sensuously! :(

But it's so much easier to look after now, and suits me better than long. Maybe I'll grow it a little bit and treat myself to a really OTT hairpiece! Not that any of it matters as I only dance for fun - I don't have to deal with anyone's expectations of what a belly dancer looks like.

Any other short haired dancers out there? What do you do with it for performances?

Safran

My hair is medium lenght but it is very very thin, so I got myself this long fabulous fake pony tail. The only problem is that it takes a bit of effort to set in place. Anyway, I think the pony tail is going to take a small vacation as I am dying to dye my hair... Guess it will be loose hair from there on :)

Mouse

I've got the "wrong" hair for bellydance! In my pre BD days it was really long, but now it's ultra short - I've got nothing to swish or tousle sensuously! :(

But it's so much easier to look after now, and suits me better than long. Maybe I'll grow it a little bit and treat myself to a really OTT hairpiece! Not that any of it matters as I only dance for fun - I don't have to deal with anyone's expectations of what a belly dancer looks like.

Any other short haired dancers out there? What do you do with it for performances?

Quite a few dancers that I know wear wigs. I was surprised at how real they looked and how nice!

gwinity

I have very thick hair, and I find wearing it loose for any length of time actually irritates the skin of my neck. If a high swishy ponytail is acceptable in my troupe, one guess how I'll be wearing my hair!

Zurah

It would have to be long and loose for me. Fortunately in this case it fits in with the old image of the bellydancer trailing long silky hair behind her. My hair is straight, thick and super-slippery, and nothing but those heavy metal claws hold it in place. I fear that anything else probably would fly off at some point and hit someone (it's happened before).

Moon

aniseteph said:

I'm not a short-haired bellydancer, but my teacher is. I've only seen her perform once and she did nothing with her hair. My mom didn't like it very much but I think short hair looks good on her. I don't know if she ever wears a wig or something for performances.
Personally, I find it a bit distracting when a dancer is focusing too much on swishing her hair.

Safran

Can you just dye it to make your hair?

Nope, I am not sure if that would work and I am not up for the adventure of testing :p But, as it is coloured like my natural natural colour, I am sure it will come handy again one day... some day. Until then, I just better take care of my own hair :)

Aniseteph

Personally, I find it a bit distracting when a dancer is focusing too much on swishing her hair.

That is my consolation when other dancers swish their luxuriant manes about! I saw a dancer once who was really good, but quite short and with very long hair which kept falling over her face - it didn't seem to bother her but it would have been nice to be able to see her face. I'm not short, but I know my hair would do that if I had it long and loose. Sort of belly dance version of that hairy thing out of the Addams family:(

Moon

aniseteph said:
Sort of belly dance version of that hairy thing out of the Addams family :(

LOL!!!!! :D

If you ever decide to let you hair grow again, maybe you can pull a bit of your hair back with a hair clip, so most of it is still loose, but it can't fall over your face that easy.

Yshka

I have long, very thin hair but very much of it lol, so it gets in front of my face easily, and also sticks to my lipgloss sometimes. I hate it when that happens.

I like wearing it back with a small clip like Moon descrives (like in my picture here), leavign most of it loose but unable to get in the way, but this hairstyle sucks for doing hairflips and stuff so I can't do it all the time.

I try to get clips that match my costumes. My hair goes loose in other performances but it still ends up hanging around my face most of the time.

In class and for practise I wear it tied back or in a bun. I don't like my hair getting sweaty.

Hadassah

I wear mine wild and curly most of the time - as that's the way it wants to be, and I think it looks more belly-dancerish that way. I'll straighten it sometimes for variety. It's almost mid-back right now - a good length for flipping around, but not so long it overwhelms me.

Shanazel

My hair is waist length, reasonably thick, but very fine and soft. Forget about getting anything like a veil or decoration to stay on it. I have bangs, which seems to go a long way toward keeping it out of my face, and I don't mess with it unless a strand gets caught on eyelashes or lipstick. It makes me nuts to see a dancer constantly play with her hair. I think it was Gia who said in the old forum, "If it isn't for sale, don't touch it." For class, I usually braid it in a single tail down my back.

Viv

I came into belly dance from a modern dance background where I was required to have my hair back and off my face at all times. I find myself rarely wearing my hair loose when I dance because of that. I will typically pull back the front of my hair somehow with clips, pins, whatever so it isn't loose around my face. I also tend to sweat a LOT when I dance, the running joke about how hard we worked in class is how far down the length of my hair is it wet, so having the front pulled back keeps it from sticking to my face/neck as well as keeping from going to a wet stringy mess hanging around my face.
To me there is no hard and fast rule about hair loose or pulled back, mainly dancer preference as to what they feel looks good on them at that moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.