Hairstyles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanazel

Naturally fuzzy hair is tres tres chic. I adore the way it just floats around like it has a life of its own. Seriously- us stick straight hair girls are impressed all to hell with hair that does anything but hang.

divinemsp

LOL I was talking more about the old lady hairstyles like Mama on Mama's Family or the outdated big 80s perms.:lol:

Farasha Hanem

thanks, Shanazel!

Naturally fuzzy hair is tres tres chic. I adore the way it just floats around like it has a life of its own. Seriously- us stick straight hair girls are impressed all to hell with hair that does anything but hang.

You just made my day! *hugs!* :D

echarpebleue

I prefer my hair down. i cut my hair short tho for some dumb reason =( it has grown past my shoulders but im getting impatient. im getting Hairdo extentions (Ken Paves/Jessica Simpson). I tried the 19" ebony layered one and it looks so real! model's hair lol. Definitely getting it when I go back to belly dance classes. Oh and I also need it for the beauty pageant thingo that I have to do =P

maylynn

How have I missed this thread for so long? I LOVE talking about hair! ;)

I've cut my hair SHORT a couple of times (due to hairdresser mishaps which I've had no choice but to remedy in that way - why doesn't anyone know how to cut thick curly hair properly???), but probably won't do so again because I find it takes way more effort/product/time to style thick short hair. That being said I really love some short looks.

Now my hair is long and a bit layered and almost down to my elbows. I always wear it down and natural (oh and BIG) when dancing and sometimes pin the front/sides back so they're not getting trapped in my earrings/lipgloss/mouth/etc. I think I'll keep growing it until it's elbow length, which means fending off hairdressers that want to layer it more and more to 'bring out the curl'!

In my professional life though sometimes I consider that cutting my hair shorter might be useful. As a 26-year old dealing with career white-collar types sometimes I think if I had short hair I might appear older and be taken more seriously. But then I remember the pain of growing it out and settle for professional looking braids/knots/updos instead whenever I have meetings, interviews or presentations.

Farasha Hanem

How have I missed this thread for so long? I LOVE talking about hair! ;)

I've cut my hair SHORT a couple of times (due to hairdresser mishaps which I've had no choice but to remedy in that way - why doesn't anyone know how to cut thick curly hair properly???), but probably won't do so again because I find it takes way more effort/product/time to style thick short hair. That being said I really love some short looks.

Now my hair is long and a bit layered and almost down to my elbows. I always wear it down and natural (oh and BIG) when dancing and sometimes pin the front/sides back so they're not getting trapped in my earrings/lipgloss/mouth/etc. I think I'll keep growing it until it's elbow length, which means fending off hairdressers that want to layer it more and more to 'bring out the curl'!

In my professional life though sometimes I consider that cutting my hair shorter might be useful. As a 26-year old dealing with career white-collar types sometimes I think if I had short hair I might appear older and be taken more seriously. But then I remember the pain of growing it out and settle for professional looking braids/knots/updos instead whenever I have meetings, interviews or presentations.

I know what you mean about some hair stylists not knowing how to cut thick, curly hair properly. :( I did cut my own hair very short when I was about 38 (I went through a phase where I thought I needed to look more grown-up). It was fun for a short (no pun intended) while, but like you discovered, it was way too much upkeep than I was willing to take time with.

KuteNurse

It is all about the hair! lol I had the best hair day ever yesterday. I wish I could turn the clock back just one day! I have tried growing my hair out and it is just too thick and curly. I spend an endless amount of time everyday blow drying and straightening it everyday. My hair is about shoulder length right now. I do not think I would survive styling it everyday....

Phoebedances

It is all about the hair! lol I had the best hair day ever yesterday. I wish I could turn the clock back just one day! I have tried growing my hair out and it is just too thick and curly. I spend an endless amount of time everyday blow drying and straightening it everyday. My hair is about shoulder length right now. I do not think I would survive styling it everyday....

KuteNurse, have you tried the new straightening irons that dry and straighten your hair at the same time? I have one and I really like it alot, though most of the time I wear my hair curly, because it's alot easier to simply dry it.

I'm trying to grow my hair back out - it's top of my shoulders now, but I want it back to at least mid back in length. I have pictures of myself dancing and it's just way too short. I think I've decided that I need to pin the front of my hair back when I dance though, just to look a bit more put together.

KuteNurse

KuteNurse, have you tried the new straightening irons that dry and straighten your hair at the same time? I have one and I really like it alot, though most of the time I wear my hair curly, because it's alot easier to simply dry it.

I'm trying to grow my hair back out - it's top of my shoulders now, but I want it back to at least mid back in length. I have pictures of myself dancing and it's just way too short. I think I've decided that I need to pin the front of my hair back when I dance though, just to look a bit more put together.

Heya,

I have not tried them yet. My hairdresser told me that you shouldn't straighten your hair until it is dry or it is bad for your hair. Have you had luck with this straightener? My hair is so fine...plus I highlight it every couple of month. I already feel like I am putting too much heat on my hair. Maybe I will just have to buy one and give it a try.

Phoebedances

Heya,

I have not tried them yet. My hairdresser told me that you shouldn't straighten your hair until it is dry or it is bad for your hair. Have you had luck with this straightener? My hair is so fine...plus I highlight it every couple of month. I already feel like I am putting too much heat on my hair. Maybe I will just have to buy one and give it a try.

I've had quite good results with mine and it doesn't seem to damage my hair. You just slide it down the section of hair two or three times and wallah! It is dry..

I do use some thermal product on my hair when I do this (or even just blow dry) to try to protect it from heat damage. I don't think I'd ever try a straightening or curling iron without using something to help shield my hair a bit.

AngelaJP

I've had quite good results with mine and it doesn't seem to damage my hair. You just slide it down the section of hair two or three times and wallah! It is dry..

Phoebe and KuteNurse, my hairdresser once mentioned that the straightening iron with titanium plates are waaaaay much better and safer than those with the ceramic (or steel?) plates. With the ceramic, the hair has to be totally dry before straightening but with the titanium, one can safely straighten wet hair.

This is an example of a ti iron:

BaByliss PRO Nano Titanium 1 1/4 inch Hair Straightening Iron

KuteNurse

Phoebe and KuteNurse, my hairdresser once mentioned that the straightening iron with titanium plates are waaaaay much better and safer than those with the ceramic (or steel?) plates. With the ceramic, the hair has to be totally dry before straightening but with the titanium, one can safely straighten wet hair.

This is an example of a ti iron:

BaByliss PRO Nano Titanium 1 1/4 inch Hair Straightening Iron

Thanks for the great info! I might have to get me one of those titanium flat irons:p

Moon

Your hairdresser is a wise lady then Kutenurse. Heat styling is bad. Especially when mixed with bleaching, blowdrying and whatever more and unfortunately the results are often most noticeable on fine hair.

However if you have no plans of growing your hair long and make sure you condition your hair well, the damage might not be too obvious and will be regularly cut off.

KuteNurse

Your hairdresser is a wise lady then Kutenurse. Heat styling is bad. Especially when mixed with bleaching, blowdrying and whatever more and unfortunately the results are often most noticeable on fine hair.

However if you have no plans of growing your hair long and make sure you condition your hair well, the damage might not be too obvious and will be regularly cut off.

That is exactly what I do. Cuts every 1.5 to 2 months. Good shampoo and conditioner. I have an added bonus. My hairdresser says my hair is like a sponge soaking up moisture so it is not dry at all. I do notice once my hair gets past my shoulders in length, it tangles uncontrollably and the ends get really dry. I would love to have long belly dancer hair, but I really don't know if it is doable with my hair type and with my color and styling with heat.

CandyCane831

You know...I cut my hair short, I used to have really really long hair, no bangs, but then I said one day..."I want a new look" right out of highschool and snipped it short, now it's super straight and super long after a few years of tameing and growing.

I've yet to figure out how I'd like to grow my hair for my upcoming performance...

any ideas?

my hair color is black and I have a betty cut right now. It's sorta..lolita lookish

Moon

Growing is possible for every hair type. But with a lot of colouring and heat styling it's difficult to make it look healthy when it's longer :think:.
If your natural colour is pretty light already there are ways to get a lighter shade or blond (or a more "golden" shade in case the hair is silver) with other means than harsh chemical dyes but it involves a bit more work. As for heat styling, not sure. There are ways to obtain waves or curls without irons but I'm not sure about making hair straighter.

CandyCane, I'm not sure what you're asking? Do you want ideas to cut your hair into some style or a style that doesn't involve cutting? There are lots of ideas in bellydance videos online. Lots of "modern" dancers wear there hair down with or without a nice headband for example. But in some vids like from old Egyptian movies, you see all kinds of styles from down to up to short to braids :)

CandyCane831

Hmm...I'd like to control my hair, since i'm hawaiian, my hair is a bit frizzy, with all the warm weather and all. So i straighten it. I'd just like a really nice..look that won't tangel my hair and will work well with earrings. Would yarn hair work like how Tribal bellydancers do it, or would..some sort of certain style be better? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.