I survived my first bellydance performance!

da Sage

It was just a recital with one of my classes, but it was a big deal to me!

I really enjoyed myself, and the whole class is anxious to perform again next week. Woohoo!:dance:

:yay: :yay: :yay:

Wiggly

Congrats:clap:

Was it nerve wracking at first?
I'm not going to be doing anything like that yet but I have mixed feelings about performing.

Pics would be nice if you have them.
Wiggly

Yshka

Hi da Sage and congratulations!!! Performances can be nerve wrecking but also (as you've noticed) a lot of fun. Now we want to see your pictures!!:lol:

Safran

Congratulations, da Sage! I'm glad it went all well and you enjoyed it. What exactly did you dance on the recital? And yes, if you have pics, do share!

da Sage

You ladies are all so sweet!:D

I actually don't have pictures, because I didn't invite anyone...on purpose. I just wanted to concentrate on performing, not connecting with people I know. Of course, the local dance community being what it is, I knew several people who showed up.;)

In fact, the dress rehearsal was intimidating before I started dancing, because there were many excellent dancers there. After I started dancing, I just had a blast!:dance:

We did a cane dance to Hadouni (George Abdo), and a cute dance to Haram Aleyk (Natacha Atlas). I was very relieved when we finished the cane dance without any canes flying into the audience!

I wore a plain black outfit and I felt very comfortable dancing in it. I had to change 3 times, though, because my drum class was also performing. With all the rushing around on performance night, I didn't have time to get nervous until the second dance number.:dance:

Now I'm just enjoying a happy post-performance glow. I hope some of it's left after I watch the video!:redface:

gwinity

Congratulations! That's awesome! :D

Just remember not to be too hard on yourself if you watch the DVD - first performances are always painful to watch (I remember mine was agonising!), and keep that post-performance-glow happening!

And next time, bring a friend to take photos.

da Sage

Congratulations! That's awesome! :D

Just remember not to be too hard on yourself if you watch the DVD - first performances are always painful to watch (I remember mine was agonising!), and keep that post-performance-glow happening!

And next time, bring a friend to take photos.

Thanks!

I am not excited about watching the video, but I know I need to. I actually have had a video of a jazz/broadway style dance I performed in for over a year, and haven't watched it...I am too scared of what I'll see! :shok:

But if I'm serious about bellydancing, I really need to watch myself dance. I hope it's not tooooo painful:pray:

And next time I will bring a photographer! And I might even wear a real costume.:dance:

Maria_Aya

Mabrouk !!!!

Wishing you many happy and succesfull performances.

But trust me, you will always remember the first one;)

Maria Aya

charity

congratulations on your first performance.

maybe you could put the video on but hide under a cover. listen to it for a bit. then replay it and occasionally peek over the top of your blanket. view a tiny slither at a time. and maybe eventually you will be able to view it all.

its the strangest thing that a lot of us feel like this. i wonder what its all about. we can walk around on the beach in a scimpy bikini, even change in front of a window, but oh boy performance jitters and watching a video of it is such a hard thing.

its so strange. i bet the guys dont have this problem. or maybe they do. dont know.

da Sage

maybe you could put the video on but hide under a cover. listen to it for a bit. then replay it and occasionally peek over the top of your blanket. view a tiny slither at a time. and maybe eventually you will be able to view it all.

its the strangest thing that a lot of us feel like this. i wonder what its all about.

Ha ha! Yes, I will be watching it with my eyes closed most of the time!:lol:

I grew up without dancing much in public, so maybe that is why for me.

KuteNurse

I was the same, dancing was always kinda a private thing for me growing up if that makes any sense. It shouldn't be however.

jannine

Hi! I am new here and came across this thread. First off, let me say ,its a pleasure to be here. I started belly dancing 8 months ago,on Monday evenings then decided to take private lessons. I had my very first solo a few weeks ago, at our Hafla. I am 54, run my own horse farm, so belly dancing was a new outlet for me. It was an exercise my body loved, sort of like "cross-training" from all the farm work. I did a solo for a few reasons, 1: the women there would understand hard work and practice,,2: we all start somewhere, at the beginning and 3 :I know most people like to encourage other, and have a kindred spirit. Not to mention it was so much fun and I loved it!!!! If you get the chance, go for it,its much like riding. The horse and rider are one body in motion, as you are with your movements and your music.You can feel it in your soul, and your face will show it. When someone says to you, they feel your energy and joy,you have shared something very special with them.

always time for dance and thankyou

Caricar

Jannine, that was such a nice post, I absolutely agree. I've been dancing about 10 months now & performed for the 1st time at a student show & a few retirement homes. We had to 'freestyle' last week in class and we all locked up and got nervous. I just couldn't do it, so I decided to go home and find music I could really connect with, as I danced to that, I absolutely felt like I was 'one' with the music.

I can tell you're one of those 'kindred' spirits who has found her 'higher' consciousness & spirituality. It shines through in your thread. =)

jannine

caricar
Thankyou for the lovely post. Congrads on your first pubic experience! My first freestyle exerperience was in class, it was a little scarey. I am sure the more moves we learn,the better we can connect them.Then they will flow freely,it is all about practice and more knowlege,I think. One day, when we hear the music, "feel" it in our soul, our feet will just take to flight. Sometimes when I hear a piece of music, my wrists and hands decide, "hmmm, I feel soft ripple forming", then my feet follow. Then I just go from there with what I know. I am learning and growing, the self-expression, is very uplifting! Best wishes to you!

Be Blessed!

Reen.Blom

Congratulations! Be sure to get some pix next time! (I also hate to see myself dance on video, it helps alot though!)