Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 81
  1. #61
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Dancer, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tikvah View Post
    I'll just say it....her name is Eman. Both she and Debbie teach classes through the school district's community education program, but she does it just to get people into her studio. She said she hates teaching the community education classes (said when I danced with her in 2004).

    I could go on and on about her, but I'll just say that I went toe to toe with her once before a show because a few of us exited the stage improperly. She was threatening to not let us perform at the next show (we did a 5pm and a 7pm show) and I got in a yelling match with her backstage :-D


    Dear Tikvah,

    Thank you for being up front about who the dancer is. This is one way in which we can improve the situation, by holding peo0le accountable for their actions. Of course, it is also good to know that the situations we are hearing about are an accurate description of behaviors. I get slammed now and then anhd am always glad wehen I get to tell my side of the issue in the face of criticisdm.
    Regards,
    A'isha

  2. #62
    Member Tikvah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KuteNurse View Post
    I am sorry she got mad at you for something so silly at your first performance Tikvah...That is really terrible. You are completely correct when you say she teaches community education to get students into her studio and make more money off of them. I am glad you are dancing with better instructors also. I can't wait to start my new class. It is like I waited forever to get the courage up to take a class, then this happens with this teacher, knowing she is not teaching correctly, then having to put up with her for 5 weeks and listen to her abuse students verbally. Now I am free and I can learn from someone who wants to teach!
    I did the same thing, except I started directly in her studio. I'm glad you're free :-)

  3. #63
    Member Tikvah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Tikvah,

    Thank you for being up front about who the dancer is. This is one way in which we can improve the situation, by holding peo0le accountable for their actions. Of course, it is also good to know that the situations we are hearing about are an accurate description of behaviors. I get slammed now and then anhd am always glad wehen I get to tell my side of the issue in the face of criticisdm.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    I was hesitant to mention her because she can be a prickly one to deal with....but I don't want other people to be hurt emotionally, physically, or financially by her. I don't dance in Duluth anymore, but she has quite a reputation with the rest of the dance community!

  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have just read this topic and I couldn't believe about the things I read! Kute nurse, I hope that you have already changed your school, because I have never in my life, heard about something more ridiculous!I know that it has been a while since you put this topic, but I just had to put a comment!What a horrible thing to do!!!

  5. #65
    V.I.P.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Duluth, Minnesota
    Posts
    3,044
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes I can imagine her being Prickly if she knew...lol But I honestly feel this was the right thing to do. She has hurt more people and it needs to come to an end. I personally did not have anything against her other than her ridiculous charge rates and how she goes about getting students to dance in her studio. But I do genuinely feel bad that so many students have suffered for a great length of time dancing with her troupe.

  6. #66
    Member Tikvah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ((hugs)) Isn't freedom a wonderful thing?

    I hope you can come down to the Cities at some point! We could round up daSage and any others to go to the Med Cruise!

  7. #67
    V.I.P.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Duluth, Minnesota
    Posts
    3,044
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tikvah View Post
    ((hugs)) Isn't freedom a wonderful thing?

    I hope you can come down to the Cities at some point! We could round up daSage and any others to go to the Med Cruise!

    Yup! We have to do that...My son is racing almost every weekend now, so it might not be until the end of the summer...But maybe I can squeeze it in sooner...It would be fun!

  8. #68
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tikvah View Post
    I was hesitant to mention her because she can be a prickly one to deal with....but I don't want other people to be hurt emotionally, physically, or financially by her. I don't dance in Duluth anymore, but she has quite a reputation with the rest of the dance community!


    Dear Tikvah,
    It does take a good deal of courage to speak out against unfair behaviors when those who are perpetrating them seem to be in positions of power. I salute you!!

    Regards,
    A'isha

  9. #69
    Junior Member Eve Gulnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KuteNurse View Post
    I was chatting with another dancer after class last week. She said something that confirmed what I had already heard and had known. The instructor that I have been dancing with, in addition to charging the monthly fee's for dance class, charges her students $150.00 per dance to be in her performances. The student also purchases her costume. In addition, my instructor charges $15 dollars a ticket for the performance. Approximately 600 tickets were sold. She must be making a bundle. Is this common? To charge the student $150.00 per dance to be in a performance on top of all the other expenses he/she is already paying? It sounds insane to me. I am obviously changing instructors for good reasons not including her ridiculous fees. She does not teach proper posture for starters, she is mean to people in class if they are not catching onto a move, she yelled at my friend for something that was inappropriate, she is not organized and she jumps from move to move, without us even learning the move correctly in the first place. These are just a FEW complaints I have against her. I could go on and on....Ohhh! Her partner is an excellent dancer and teacher and she teaches a majority of her classes. She danced in the performance and she was clearly the best dancer there, but my instructor made a big deal about her daughter's dancing and she did not even recognize the other dancer for helping her out with her classes. Unbelieveable!


    Here's the truth.......I've been a student at Eman's for almost a year now and we are preparing for this year's RECITAL (not a hired performance like some of the comments I have read believed). Eman does have girls that go on paid preformances but she is Very picky on which she allows girls to go to. (she refuses to send unprepared dancers or let girls dance at parties which may be misunderstood as stripping or risky for the dancer (bachelor parties etc.)). Duluth is a very conservative area that doesn't quite understand what belly dance is.
    The actual fee that was referred to is more like $50 for the show, not $150 per dance!! I have danced in many other recitals (ballet) and paying a recital fee plus purchasing costumes for each specific dance is the norm. Yes tickets are sold (the same, again, as any other recital) to family, friends, any one who wants to attend - the students in the show don't have to. The students and especially the instructors get along great (work well together). Everything cost money, if she didn't charge there would be no recital for the students. The cost for a large venue, advertising, programs (I'm sure I could go on) I'm only guessing is expensive. I've been to her show in the past (that's what got me interested in dancing with her) and they are very professionally done with many dancers of all levels, sizes, and ages. There were about 400 or more people watching in the audience.
    In the future, I hope postings are based more on facts than mere speculation.

  10. #70
    Member Tikvah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eve Gulnar View Post
    Here's the truth.......I've been a student at Eman's for almost a year now and we are preparing for this year's RECITAL (not a hired performance like some of the comments I have read believed). Eman does have girls that go on paid preformances but she is Very picky on which she allows girls to go to. (she refuses to send unprepared dancers or let girls dance at parties which may be misunderstood as stripping or risky for the dancer (bachelor parties etc.)). Duluth is a very conservative area that doesn't quite understand what belly dance is.

    The actual fee that was referred to is more like $50 for the show, not $150 per dance!! I have danced in many other recitals (ballet) and paying a recital fee plus purchasing costumes for each specific dance is the norm. Yes tickets are sold (the same, again, as any other recital) to family, friends, any one who wants to attend - the students in the show don't have to. The students and especially the instructors get along great (work well together). Everything cost money, if she didn't charge there would be no recital for the students. The cost for a large venue, advertising, programs (I'm sure I could go on) I'm only guessing is expensive. I've been to her show in the past (that's what got me interested in dancing with her) and they are very professionally done with many dancers of all levels, sizes, and ages. There were about 400 or more people watching in the audience.
    In the future, I hope postings are based more on facts than mere speculation.
    It's possible that she's changed her tune from when I danced with her four years ago. She did charge per dance ($50 back then...which would have been ok if there were additional rehearsals for the choroegraphy, but there weren't). Having to purchase costumes makes sense, but she would charge an exorbitant amount for girls to rent her costumes. She tried to get me to not perform because of my size (despite the fact that I was the only one that knew her choreography). She encouraged a dance posture that had the butt sticking out and many of her students developed back problems because of it. Eman herself was having back issues for the show that I performed in. The show was never a recital then. Students don't get chastised for not buying enough tickets for a recital.

    Like I said, my experiences are from a couple years ago, so knowledge could be out of date. But I did see her at the October community dance show, and I heard her mocking the dancers that performed that night.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •