Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

whats ASL?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    whats ASL?
    American Sign Language. It was one of the first widespread languages for the deaf.

I was starting to write a lot of historical stuff here, but anyone who is interested in learning more should go to:

American Sign Language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, cheers for explaining. My mate does English Sign language I guess. She translates and stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

i say the BIG donts:

dont be licking your lips all the time
    dont forget to blink cause that will come off creepy
    dont touch
    dont wiggle around in your seat
    dont whisper back and forth between people at table
    dont ignore dancer either that seems rude too

i think thats the big ones.

Quote Originally Posted by TribalDancer View Post
    I was an ASL interpreter student for a time, and I find that the same holds true in dancing as it does in ASL. the hands (hips) are where the words are being "spoken", but the full meaning is not understood unless you really look at the whole person.
    i agree but to someone unfamiliar with bd, hula dance etc etc i dont even think they know that a "story" is being told. i think many just construe it as an exotic dance. exotic as in- not originating from US, English, or European cultures.

i would think from the audience most people would be able to decipher what is appropriate or inappropriate behavour.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charity View Post
    i say the BIG donts:

dont be licking your lips all the time
    dont forget to blink cause that will come off creepy
    dont touch
    dont wiggle around in your seat
    dont whisper back and forth between people at table
    dont ignore dancer either that seems rude too

i think thats the big ones.

i agree but to someone unfamiliar with bd, hula dance etc etc i dont even think they know that a "story" is being told. i think many just construe it as an exotic dance. exotic as in- not originating from US, English, or European cultures.

i would think from the audience most people would be able to decipher what is appropriate or inappropriate behavour.
    Interesting that you mentioned hula dancing. I have wondered if polynesian dancing has any roots from belly dancing. Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default ASL Threadjack

My husband and I are learning sign language! My 5yo is also learning. Actually she started learning on her own for fun from some kiddie shows and was using signs with us and we've just taken it from there. We've been learning from dvds but will take a class in the fall.

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes feel a bit sorry for 'uninitiated' men when I'm dancing at restaurants! Of course when you're sitting at a table, your head is in direct line with the belly dancer's hips, and I often see guys struggling with how to watch me!

Often these guys will just look up at my face and smile appreciatively, and refuse to allow their eyes to go any further south. This is sweet, but my hips are working really hard and would like some appreciation too!

The other ones are the ones whose gaze flits furtively between the girlfriend/wife and a sideways fearful glance at my hips, but never daring to look up at my face. These I feel the most sorry for, you can almost smell his fear!

And the third group is the guy who completely tries to blank out the shimmying, flying sequins and beads standing just to the side of him!

I agree with Maria, if I didn't want to be looked at, I wouldn't be putting on a sparkly costume and dancing around a restaurant (hmmm captive audience!) to loud music! There are better ways of not drawing attention to oneself than that! I think the general consensus is to try to look at the dancer as a whole, RELAX and don't think too much about where your eye should/shouldn't be going, and just enjoy it!

Post Thanks / Like

You ladies will never guess what happened yesterday! I went to watch my teacher dance at a local restaurant, and a couple walked out on her act!

The dancer made her entrance with a beautiful red silk veil, swept around the restaurant, and then did some pretty veil work onstage. Finally she tossed the veil aside (to move on with her set), and the veil fell down beside a young preppy (college?) boy who was there with his girlfriend. Next thing I knew, they left abruptly - they checked out at the register instead of waiting for their tab, and they hadn't been there long at all.

I asked my friend if she thought the girlfriend was upset by the dancer, and she said no, she thought it was the guy (he looked stern and upset to me too)! I thought that was very strange. Maybe he did not expect a belly dancer, but why wouldn't he stick around to enjoy the show?

Has this happened before to any dancers here?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi da sage,

I think the boy left cos he didn't want to get into trouble for watching the bellydancer. I am sure if he is with a male buddy of his, I am sure, he would be drooling!!!!

Cheers
    Janaki

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by janaki View Post
    I think the boy left cos he didn't want to get into trouble for watching the bellydancer. I am sure if he is with a male buddy of his, I am sure, he would be drooling!!!!
    Maybe. But it seemed more like he was angry, and the girl just went along with him. I don't know what the problem was.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast