Seattle Dancers do you know anything about this Dancer?

Aisha Azar

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of taking classes with Zanbaka privately has anyone heard of her. I spoke to one dancer here and she raved about her. Any info would be helpful!

Dear Summerdance,
I think that Zanbaka seems like a very nice person. I have not had extensive dealings with her, but she used to run a site for dancers and dance info. Also was going to do a sort of history of belly dance in the Northwest and was going to interview me for it when it gets going. I THINK she is a tribal style dancer... not sure.
Regards,
A'isha

TribalDancer

I am not sure if Z is doing "tribal" per se any more. She is a flamenco dancer with La Pena Flamenca, and has been on a crusade for technique and integrity in the bellydance world, which is endorsement in itself. She is teaching pure technique classes right now, as I understand it, but it's been ages since I have seen her teach, so I can't speak to that. She USED to be a member of a tribal troupe, though...

Best advice is to try a teacher out at least once to see if they are up your alley! You can never know if you don't try.

Is there a partcular styleo r goal you are reaching for?

summerdance

Searching in Seattle

Thank you A'isha and Tribal Dancer

I really appreciate the replies to my question. I have been looking to tighten up what i know culturally. I have been around dancers my entire life. I started mimicking my cousins and aunts from a very young age. I have never studied dance( Well BD)I did the usual Ballet etc as a little girl. But I have been wanting to pick up some professional training and see if there's anything I missed by not studying with an instructor. I am trying to stay away from the cabaret, or fantasy stuff that i have seen. I want to do classic, egyptian, Sexy is ok, sexy is great, I just want to avoid some of the tacky, sleazy stuff that's out there.

I heard some dancer's talking about instructors and was told that Zanbaka was good, as were Mish Mish, and Zaphara(SP) I also heard of Rishi , but I dont know
I guess I should try a class with Each or what do you guys think?

Any advise would be helpful

Regards.

TribalDancer

I you are seeking classical Egyptian, then Zanbaka is not who you would necessarily be seeking. She is definitely NOT Egyptian in her studies or stylings.

Zaphara is more Greek in my opinion, though I am not sure what she would classify herself as.

For folkloric, I would recommend Mish Mish. She is a wealth of information (and is who Zanbaka studied under for many years, incidentally).

Rishi is more modern Egyptian and American Cabaret, in my opinion. Again, don't know what she calls herself.

For Egyptian, I would probably steer you more toward Tina Sargent (who does a lot of modern Egyptian fusion, but teaches some excellent classical Egyptian technique).

Nadira also teaches Egyptian I believe, but with a Suhaila-technique slant.

Aaminah was a longtime student of Tina Sargent and teaches regular classes as well, which I believe are modern fusion, but with an Egyptian slant due to her work with Tina.

Hope that is helpful!

Aisha Azar

Egyptian dance

Dear Summerdance,
I would agree that Zanbaka is not an Egyptian dancer.
Rishi in Everett is a long time student of mine. She is a good Egyptian style dancer, but she is doing more American Oriental stuff these days with her dance company. She is a good dancer and a good teacher.
Mish Mish is okay for some folkloric dances, but not asll. Her Khaliji is off by quite a bit. She and I are old friends and I love her dearly, by the way, so I am not talking behind her back.( Yeah, she named herself Apricot", knowing all the cultural implications!! She is a riot!!)
Tina Sargent does that really cleaned up, hardly noticeable as Egyptian style that some Americans are doing because, I guess that real Egyptian belly dance is just too, too earthy and real. However, if you can retain the spirit of the dance, she does have some very good movement technique.
Nabila teaches someplace over there and though she is now doing some fusion type stuff, she is a good teacher. Her niece, Phaedra Nicole, for my money is one of the best dancers around, and she studies with Nabila.
If you ever make it to Spokane, I teach hard core Egyptian belly dance.
Regards,
A'isha

Aisha Azar

Seattle

Phaedra Nicole is incredible. I love her. Not sure if she's teaching. Great gal!

Dear Sharon,
Phaedra does not teach, alas! I love her, too! She has always been good, but since she came back from her several year hiatus, she has become amazing!! She studies with Auntie Nabila.
Regards,
A'isha

summerdance

Instructors

Dear Ai'sha/Tribal dancer

Thank you so much for your input. There are so many instructors here, I feel so confused. I I love Mish Mish's name. cultural implications aside. a mish mish can also refer to someone who's sweet, and wholesome.
I have not heard of Phaedra or nicole. Nabila I am intrigued by simply because she is named Nabila. My brother is named Nabil so I think that's great.

Question can't a dancer who performes tribal or folkloric also be versed enough in the classics to teach?

I also saw a poster about a Belly Con (sp) being organized by Delilah . what styel does she teach?

Spokane, I'd love to go, have no idea where that is. How far awya is it in relation to Seattle. Like almost everyone, here, I'm not a seattlite. I'm
transplant...

thanks for all the help.

Aisha Azar

Seattle

Dear Ai'sha/Tribal dancer

Thank you so much for your input. There are so many instructors here, I feel so confused. I I love Mish Mish's name. cultural implications aside. a mish mish can also refer to someone who's sweet, and wholesome.
I have not heard of Phaedra or nicole. Nabila I am intrigued by simply because she is named Nabila. My brother is named Nabil so I think that's great.

Question can't a dancer who performes tribal or folkloric also be versed enough in the classics to teach?

I also saw a poster about a Belly Con (sp) being organized by Delilah . what styel does she teach?Spokane, I'd love to go, have no idea where that is. How far awya is it in relation to Seattle. Like almost everyone, here, I'm not a seattlite. I'm
transplant...

thanks for all the help.

Dear Summerdance,
Although I know of one dancer ( in 33 years) who is strong enough in her stylings to do both American and Egyptian dance well, usually I find that western styles and Middle Eastern styles tend to appeal to people with different aptitudes. There are very few dancers who do a good cross-over. I would say the only way to tell is to give Zanbaka a try! I have a Tribal style dancer who studied with Carolina Nerriccio in California coming to my
Sunday class to give Egyptian a try. If she finds it as intriguing, then she will stay. Whethwe or not she decides to study with me, I weill make sute she gets in touch with the Tribal dancer here who studies with Carolina.
Spokane is about 300 miles east of Seattle and north a bit. We are practically in Idaho, but still in Washington.
Regards,
A'isha

sparklyraven

At the risk of piggybacking on your thread here, I 'm glad to hear about Seattle teachers, I go through there frequently and it has been a recent topic up here in the rainforest. So yay. good to read.

Ariela

Thank you A'isha and Tribal Dancer

I really appreciate the replies to my question. I have been looking to tighten up what i know culturally. I have been around dancers my entire life. I started mimicking my cousins and aunts from a very young age. I have never studied dance( Well BD)I did the usual Ballet etc as a little girl. But I have been wanting to pick up some professional training and see if there's anything I missed by not studying with an instructor. I am trying to stay away from the cabaret, or fantasy stuff that i have seen. I want to do classic, egyptian, Sexy is ok, sexy is great, I just want to avoid some of the tacky, sleazy stuff that's out there.

I heard some dancer's talking about instructors and was told that Zanbaka was good, as were Mish Mish, and Zaphara(SP) I also heard of Rishi , but I dont know
I guess I should try a class with Each or what do you guys think?

Any advise would be helpful

Regards.

I chose Eqyptian for some of the reasons you stated. I would like to try tribal someday too. Anyway, I took 15 private lessons and the balance in group classes. For me, one private lesson was worth months of group lessons. My teacher watched me carefully, helping me to learn the fine points of style so that I could practice between private lessons, correcting in the next any misinterpretations my mind/body came up with :)

I agree with another member who posted that you should take one lesson and then decide. I'd add, watch all the forms of dance on the web, at a festival, or hafla and think about which one sparks your passion for dance the most. Then I'd invest time and money toward that style of dance.

It's taken me four years and not an inconsiderable cost in lessons to get comfortable with my current Egyptian dance style. I hope I live long enough to learn all the styles that fascinate me :pray: