Opinion on Male dancers

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
?????:confused: Oh.....Does this mean your not evil?:think:
Of course not! :D I'm evil just for you...

Ok, I took a quick look at the videos. I don't see gender issues with any of them - what I see is some incredibly bad, and sometimes tacky dancing (and costuming) in all but the last ("like a man") one. I've written tirades about sleazy dancing in the past, especially after the notorious "Coffee Table" incident at Rakkasah '06. Pretty much the usual YouTube fare.

My rule is simple when looking at something like this: "Would I like this dancer if the gender were reversed?". The "like a man" one says "yes" (I see nothing "like a man" about it, its just a good dancer) - the others say "no" (its just bad dancing).

Again, I *think* you and I are pretty much saying the same thing - only we're approaching it from a different angle.

Tarik Sultan

LMAO Tarik!!!!

By the way, you can also watch prince Ali Baba's video by copying the part after "embed src=" (in this case, http://www.youtube.com/v/QwcM2MC8-6g) into the address bar.

Okay, this is what I was talking about on the previous thread

This is tacky, tasteless, sleazy and in poor taste.
This is why I can't wrap my head around this idea of a man dancing with femininty of course this is an extreem case, but this is the stereotype that comes to mind when most people think of "Male Belly dancer". This is why most of us have such a hard time even getting a toenail much less a foot in the door.

This kind of thing is not appealing to most women at all and it makes most men feel creepy, uncomfortable and threatened.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
As you might expect from me, I don't see anything "feminine" about this latest guy. I agree he's tacky, sleazy and tasteless - and that's just his butt-cheek costume! He has some good technique, and some not so good technique - his arms suck.

I like chiffon - but one needs to know how to use it, regardless of gender! This isn't it! He fails the "gender inversion test". I don't feel threatened by him, I feel sorry for him as he's just *tacky* and would be so if he were female.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Approaching from different angles and bent on a collision course. :)

Oh, its what happens when you get two passionate people in the room. Add a healthy mix of testosterone, and it can get lively! I have the utmost respect for Tarik - but we both have our hot buttons! What else would you expect from a couple of guys?! :D

Besides, Tarik can dance circles around me - he's *very* good, I'm a patzer at best.

Shanazel

I do see mannerisms and gestures that might be considered feminine, but I find them interesting rather than unappealing. What fries this guy's performance is his lack of polish (I'd say tackiness, but I got jumped all over once for being tacky enough to refer to someone as tacky:)) and that godawful costume. I don't particularly enjoy nude dancing even when the nudity is slightly veiled. I kept wondering if that was a black thong or...

Listen to me! :shok: I should be sent to my room permanently.

Tarik Sultan

As you might expect from me, I don't see anything "feminine" about this latest guy.

Yes Zorba, but realize you have quite a unique perspective on these issues that is not shared by the majority of the world's population. Not saying I tottally disagree with everything you are saying, just that the rest of the world isn't there with you yet. So dealing with what perceptions are for most people, this guy acts and looks effeminate, tackieness not withstanding.

My criteria, as is most of the world's A. Can I immidiately tell if this person is a man or a woman? B. Is this person's body language and mannerisms in agreement with what would be expected of a man's body language and mannerisms, or do they look like he's trying to emmulate the body language and mannerisms of a woman? A man whose bady language can be described as prissy, dainty, demure, coquttish, retiering, or flamboyant, flowery, simpery, is interprited as being effeminate or attempting to immitate a woman. A man is expected to be a little more rugged and assertive than a woman. We can debate to what degree this is nature or nurture, but that is how things are perceived around the world.

Tarik Sultan

I do see mannerisms and gestures that might be considered feminine, but I find them interesting rather than unappealing. What fries this guy's performance is his lack of polish (I'd say tackiness, but I got jumped all over once for being tacky enough to refer to someone as tacky:)) and that godawful costume. I don't particularly enjoy nude dancing even when the nudity is slightly veiled. I kept wondering if that was a black thong or...

Listen to me! :shok: I should be sent to my room permanently.

As far as I'm concerned no man looks good in any garment worn on the lower half that is see through. ITS JUST WRONG!:naghty:

Moon

That guy proves you don't have to make your dancing more aggressive to make it more "manly". I thought he was going to slap the audience with those arm movements! And still he is perceived as "feminine" by a lot of people :lol:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Yes Zorba, but realize you have quite a unique perspective on these issues that is not shared by the majority of the world's population.

In which Tarik GETS IT!!! :clap: :dance:

You're absolutely correct - and I've never said that others would, or even "should" agree with my crackpot philosophies. Only that they're mine - this all ties into my blab about the ultimate artificiality of culture, etc., etc. blah, blah, blah.

I haven't got a problem with his wearing chiffon on his lower half - only that in this case the "lower half" should start a bit lower than it does! If he wanted a slit or chiffon up to his hip - ON THE SIDE - that'd be OK (I've been known to do it myself - so has Kamaal), but in agreement with what Shanazel and others have noted, I'm not a fan of "Raks Snake" on a male - any more than I am of "Raks Beaver" on a female! Tacky is the least of the terms that could be applied!

Lydia

I dont want to talk about his dancing...His costume is a biiiiiiig nono...realy bad taste:naghty: Lydia

Dev

IMO he is a not so exotic "Exotic" dancer suitable for girls only party and I love that tail thing that is hanging between his derrière. Sometimes we must learn to laugh at these kind of acts as I try not to take these type of videos as some kind of serious Belly Dance performance or any real dance performance . I remember looking at the Boy Shakira thread , Now I don't think that was even remotely offensive , I thought that was hilariously bad. I look at the above video and I assume he is just in love with the 60s burlesque costumes and know how to dance it doesn't make him a Belly dancer neither it makes the performance a Belly dance performance.
Regards

Lydia

i agree Dipaly,if he think he want to be looked at as a comedy act ok keep it going then!!

Sara

:shok: :shok: My eye's watered it was THAT cringe worthy. :shok:

Comedy act? :lol: He's a goodish sort of dancer, but that costume even made me blush, and I don't blush at a reyt lot.

If I'd have been in that audience I would have been in stitches! Whatever that dancer's etiquette says.

Venefica

What on earth is that young man wearing. It looks like he have tied s frilly evening blouse around his waist. Silky pastels meets Tarzan. :O