Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camel practice

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin Cool!

That actually helps a lot, Charity, especially as my sister is a yoga afficionado and agreed to break it down for me visually. I especially like the one on your back on the floor with knees bent. I tried it just now out of curiosity, and that's going to build some muscles and help with muscle memory, I can tell.

Moon, I appreciate the encouragement! Ditto, janaki.

And, Yasmine, thanks for the reminder that the full-body version won't really be used very much once dancing to up-to-tempo tunes. (Mine is excruciatingly slow if I want to do it "right", which may explain why it was so hard to keep my balance at first.) I didn't realize that the full-body undulation was American in origin/style. That puts a whole new light on it for me.

RioDancer, I like the wall idea. I had noticed before, listening to headphones while lying in bed and doing an undulation (almost without intending to, just grooving to the music, you know?) I could really feel each vertebrae moving in its place. I'm going to try this at next practice session for sure.

Thank you all for all the help and suggestions! This is the first time I checked back on this thread, and I was overwhelmed by the kindness, advice, and support that came flooding in. Y'all rak!

Didi

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia View Post
    Hi Didi and Everyone, Ever wonder why this move is called a camel? The other day I was watching a show on the Travel Channel about extreme travels or something like that...anyway the host was traveling in the Middle East with two young male guides on their way to trade dates for figs. Well he travelled priarily on camel back and after the first day he complained about the pain in his back , butt and legs. The next day he finally got the hang of it by allowing his pelvis to tuck forward and back as he straddled the camel. Well he mastered the elusive forward rolling of the hips that we call the "Camel".
    Now I'm not saying this is the origin of the camel move(and nor was he) but it was certainly enlightnening to see this move incorporated in everyday life, probably like so many others.
    For those who ride horses, can you describe your posture and does your hips roll forward and back to accommodate the movement of the horse?
    Yasmine

Thanks Yasmine...That was really interesting and I might just try to find out more information on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Just piping up...no, there is no "neck" in a "tribal camel".
    In tribal there are two common versions of the "Arabic"--I learned the camel, which is primarily the belly and hips, as Arabic in the FC terminology. I learned Arabic as a full body undulation, up-to-down, starting with a lift in the chest and ending rolling through the hips, from my folkloric teachers and from other styles of tribal. This Arabic is from the Jamila school terminology, as I learned it passed down through Aleili, who was an original member of Yaleil. *shrug* But you know how names go, right? We call the same moves different names, and different moves the same things. We bellydancers like to be confused!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12