Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread is very helpful as I have to visualize each movement.

I love this site.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oriental (ie horizontal) circles

We start with slides to the side to get the idea of the weight shift; we also practice forward and back to try and avoid extending the lower back. But as people practice they become tiny - or worse switch to a tilting circle. The answer is standing in a barrel of sticky toffee - your mission polish that barrel. This seems to help getting movement all the way around

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shoulder shimmy

No so much a visualization as a technique. Practice while riding a motor bike - or at a pinch driving a car. Your butt won't move and your hands remain fixed in space - and at about the right position for a beledi second In a car, the back of the car seat should also remind you not to twist your torso but concentrate on just moving the shoulders.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Head Slides

Imagery mental floss (an old Kilban cartoon with the floss going in one ear and out the other)

Preparation - loosen off the top two neck joints.

First - do a good warmup and mobilize the neck forward/back, ear to each shoulder, twist left/right keeping chin level. No head circles

Now, push head forward (like doing a chicken head a la Tina Turner), use your hand to then bring the ear to the shoulder.

Then do the same pulling head back (warning do not let anyone see you doing this is you have any inclination to a double chin - don't even look at yourself doing this one )

Post Thanks / Like

she's right about not wanting to look even at yourself doing this one!! In class I remember Kashmir making us turn away from the mirror - and just as well (those chins were scarey!)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default i can do figure eights

i can do figure eights

Post Thanks / Like

I've spent the last 10 minutes or so drilling the movements in this thread

The spongey shimmy made my calves hurt but I did them anyway. Usually I do them with my weight on my heels.

My representational value is visual, that means I need to see it, watch it, picture it or just have images. I can visualize closing the car door with my hip. (It's a tad more difficult doing that with the pick-up.)

I can visualize the hip circles and the horizontal figure 8's and I can do them - I can sweep the sides of the barrel for 8's and circles but I'm still not getting the vertical figure 8's grrrrrrrrr Obviously I'll be practicing that move until I get it right.

Shoulder shimmies- I don't go very fast because my 34DD's bounce like crazy so I'm not quite sure if I'm doing them correctly. I try to isolate the movement to the shoulder but the twins move no matter what I do.

I guess that's why it's called "PRACTICE."

Post Thanks / Like

Default vertical fig 8's vs mayas

for what it's worth, for the imagery people:

I demonstrate two bar stools that are a bit too tall to sit on next to each hip. they have to pick their hip up, reach it over, and then sit it down. after drilling that, then we practice getting off of the stool the same way we got on.

we shimmy with flat feet or on our toes (driven by legs or butt)

this was a good thread idea
    Last edited by ginnina; 07-12-2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: error in subject

Post Thanks / Like

I love that idea, that's fantastic.

I have a trick for teaching chest slides that's so effective that I have no idea how I'll teach them if I ever have a studio without a mirror. I get them to tie a sash around their chests so that it's perfectly horizontal at the top & bottom & get them to keep it moving in a straight line. I started doing this after I noticed students having issues keeping their chests level & others thinking their hips were moving when their chests were. The sash helps keep the eyes on the prize, so to speak!

Post Thanks / Like

Not so much a tip but a learning aid. When I set up my workout space in the basement I bought a bunch of mirrored tiles from the hardware store.They are about 18 inches square. They were self adhesive and you can stick them on the wall. I went 7 tiles wide and 5 tiles deep. This functions as a complete large mirror. The other thing I discovered though was that you can use each tile individually. You can adjust your distance from the wall so that your head is in an upper tile... your chest is in the next tile down vertically and your hips and waist are in the 3rd tile down. The seam between the tiles you are in and the next set to the left and right gives you a border. Now if you want to practice chest slides you can slide your chest into the next tile over while keeping your head and waist in the original space. It gives you a pretty good reference to practice your isolations in... and the tiles aren't that expensive.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast