Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I learned the downward vertical fig 8 as "butterfly".

The ugliest move I have been taught is "the panther" supposed to be elegant but no... A camel alternate on toes and bent knees(that can be really nice though) but at the same time doing some weird claw movements up and down with the arms in front of you. It might have something to do with the skills of that teacher though, I'm sorry to say.

Post Thanks / Like

hi gisela,

This is the first time I have heard of panther. Weird claw movments. OMG!!!!It sounds scary!!!!

Cheers
    Janaki

Post Thanks / Like

Weird Claw Movements? I know those well: that's what I get when I try to do snake arms... ROFL

Post Thanks / Like

You cracked me up Reen.blom!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

he he he

Post Thanks / Like

Default Camel Walk....

Well, .......I don't like to use the term "camel walk" in my classes, so I don't. We aren't camels; we are lovely, graceful, and beautiful dancers. Camels cannot possibly be lovely, graceful, or beautiful dancers; well, they can to one another camel, I suppose....

In my observation of the dance (35 years), I've been able to come up with three dimensions of body undulations, both "regular" and "reverse". For these three dimensions, I use the terms Upper One, Upper Two, and Upper Three for the "regular" (upper body undulations) undulations, and for the "reverse" undulations (lower body undulations), I use the terms Lower One, Lower Two, and Lower Three -- the numbers One, Two, and Three referring to the dimension of the undulation. None of these dimensional undulations are done with claws for hands because I also show how they can be done using what I call "the wrist action" where the flip of the wrist is done within the movement.

Hope this helps.

-Sausan
    Sausan Academy of Egyptian Dance

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm...i learnt the vertical 8 as the over-8 and its reverse as the under-8, i also learnt the "washing machine shimmy" as the Tunisian Twist.
    the butterfly i learnt as a shimmy of sorts; like a fast but soft hip snap, so that the hips appear to be fluttering up and down.
    regarding the 3/4 shimmy and the hagala - i know of them as being within the same family of moves, but not the same move; my understanding of the hagala is that there is a vertical hip circle involved while there isn't in the 3/4.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3/4 Shimmy...

I also have an aversion to the term 3/4 shimmy. The way this "shimmy" is taught in the dance schools today just doesn't work in the scheme of authentic Egyptian dance movement and the way the Egyptian dancers dance it. 3/4 shimmy, which is a term originated by Jamila Salimpour, puts the emphasis on the wrong part of the movement or the beat than the Egyptian use.

Just another observation.

-Sausan

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a very clear demonstration of the Haggallah, she is doing it sloooowly at about 03:15:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sausanacademy
    We aren't camels; we are lovely, graceful, and beautiful dancers. Camels cannot possibly be lovely, graceful, or beautiful dancers; well, they can to one another camel, I suppose....
    But they are lovely graceful creatures, very important in a lot of Northern African cultures. People can't walk that gracefully through the desert.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast