Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    But they are lovely graceful creatures, very important in a lot of Northern African cultures. People can't walk that gracefully through the desert.
    I thought so too Moon!!! Camels are very graceful. Camels walk slowly and kinda gracefully. I am trying to picture how I look like if I walk in a desert
    I love camels!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, camels are very graceful....and they do the "camel walk" very nicely just like camels always do.

-Sausan

Post Thanks / Like

one of the groups I dance in is called "the Happy Camels" which I find utterly stupid and embarrassing every time we perform. They came up with the name before I joined and I will quit next year so I just keep quiet about it . I don't mind calling the move "a camel" though.

Have you heard of a move called kenya, kenja, kenia or something (not sure of the spelling)? It's a back to front fig 8 which involves the legs and feet with a little release of the foot. It's pretty common, I've seen it a lot done by fifi dancing baladi, especially in the vid where she wears the pink tights, remember?
    Do you understand which move I mean and do you have another name for it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Jewel"

Are you referring to the "Jewel"?

I call this the "Lower Half and Half" as it is the front part of a mini hip circle from one hip to the other, ending on that other leg using the back part of a "Hip Drop" or "Hip Sit" or "Sit Kick".

Fifi a beautiful doing this. She also tends to put in a "reverse undulation" or a "Lower Two" when doing this move.

-Sausan
    Last edited by sausanacademy; 06-18-2007 at 06:21 PM. Reason: typos

Post Thanks / Like

No, not the jewel. It bears some ressemblance though, just a lot softer, with out the twist. The foot lifts a little from the floor and almost draws a little circle between each weigth change. I know you will recognize this move if you saw it, it's just my inexperience with describing it in english that makes it weird.

Post Thanks / Like

I know the kenia, it's like you described, a little like a smal camel only you change direction with each step and you stay on the same spot.

Post Thanks / Like

oh wow thanks moon. I study with several teachers and most of the moves they have the same names for. This one only one of my teachers do so I only heard her name for it and wasn't sure if it was a widely known term.

It can also be confusing when they have the same terminology but teach the move in different ways, I guess also a common problem. On monday you are told to do the afrocircle (umi?) with front- sides- and backside muscles and wednesday you are told equally convincing to absolutely focus on the four "corners" of the umi. hmmm...

I do love having many teachers though. Think it helps developing your own style instead of accidentally copying one particulat style, Sorry if this last thing was off topic.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

This dancer's doing a three-quarter shimmy around the assaya at the beginning:

Post Thanks / Like

That guy wasn't even that bad, if you consider he probably never tried it before.

Post Thanks / Like

Could anyone please describe 3/4 shimmy for me? And I was wondering why it is caled this way?
    3/4 shimmy as I was tought:
    Step with one leg bend knee hip down- shift weight and slide hip to that foot- lift the other hip and leg and drop the hip and step on that foot - hold- shift weight ahd slide hip and so on.....

I know we have different terms for the same moves, but do we have the same name for several moves?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast