Post Thanks / Like

Default Dress For the Conservatives

I've recently been recognized in my area for my recent publicity doing belly dancing. It all started with an article in the local newspaper that flamed me for this "foreign mockery." But that also created a lot of buzz in the community, and now I have several dedicated followers who want to learn .

But I was just wondering, what type of attire would you recommend for a public demonstration with a somewhat conservative audience? Do you have any specific examples with pictures?

Thanks so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dress etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mikex1337 View Post
    I've recently been recognized in my area for my recent publicity doing belly dancing. It all started with an article in the local newspaper that flamed me for this "foreign mockery." But that also created a lot of buzz in the community, and now I have several dedicated followers who want to learn .

But I was just wondering, what type of attire would you recommend for a public demonstration with a somewhat conservative audience? Do you have any specific examples with pictures?

Thanks so much.

Dear Mikex,
    I have no suggestions for costuming... but I am wondering why the paper referred to your dance as a"foreign mockery". I don't get it...???
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mikex,

I was going to ask the same question? Why is it called a foreign mockery???

In my opinion, costuming is something you feel comfortable to wear in the presence of the audience you are dancing to. Again costume should represent your dance not the AUDIENCE TASTE. Useally, bellydancing is done with a bare midriff, but this is not a must. A simple bra belt enssemble with a chiffon circle skirt looks good. When I dance for conservative audience I wear a body stocking to cover my midriff and am carefull not to show much cleavage and and legs.

If you are demonstrating the dance, you can wear something like excercise wear...a flared lycra pants with a sari style crop top with long or short sleeves will look good with an elegant hip wrap. If you are short on the upper body match your top and the warp, if you are tall match the top and the pants and wear a hip warp of different colour, if you are short on the legs match pants and the wrap. If you are not very tall keep all the clours the same.

Hope this hleps!!!

Cheers
    Janaki
    Last edited by janaki; 06-09-2007 at 02:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You could always use baladi or saidi pieces for some demonstrations, which is a great excuse for a shiny and new baladi dress (can you guess what new costume I've been thinking about lately)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Mikex,
    I have no suggestions for costuming... but I am wondering why the paper referred to your dance as a"foreign mockery". I don't get it...???
    Regards,
    A'isha
    Must have been the attire... Studded with "shiny clamshells" and hanging fringes. Also, the music I was dancing to was authentic Moroccan music which sounds extremely exotic to an untrained ear. Like I said, this area is very narrow-minded.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also in a more conservative area and, while they're not totally opposed to the bare midriff, I did opt to use a cabaret dress for my first set of promo photos and the main ones going on my site.

I still don't see why they would call the dance a "foreign mockery" if it were just different...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mikex, My suggestion is two-fold: One choose a costume that is comfortable and flattering for your coloring and body type. Secondly, be mindful of the venue in which you are performing. If you are a professional entertainer, you certainly want to be re-invited back to paying venues or referred to other venues by satisfied customers. So in this case my advise differs from Janaki. Our school often performs at local nsg homes in which our attire is more low-key, lots of bright colors and swirling fabrics. We avoid showing alot of cleavage and thigh high legs. On the other hand, when we visit libraries and museums, costuming is often folkoric in nature. And finally, for our highly artistic venues such as gallery openings, art festivals, renaissance fairs, we prefer an image closer to cabaret stylings that show more tasteful areas of skin.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia View Post
    If you are a professional entertainer, you certainly want to be re-invited back to paying venues or referred to other venues by satisfied customers. So in this case my advise differs from Janaki. Yasmine
    Hi Yasmine,

Let me clarify, when I said the costuming should go with the dance, what I meant is, it has to represent many styles of costuming that goes with bellydance. In the past I was asked to wear samba costume, chinese costume, hot pants and bra belt set to perform bellydance since they fit in with the theme of the party or the audience taste. Of course, I REFUSED!!!!

I also wouldn't do anything any different than you when I present my dance. We are on the same boat here!!!

Cheers
    Janaki