Stationary Shimmies (not 3/4)

Caricar

This is somewhat related to MIdnight's post...but I think she was asking about 3/4 shimmies?

I have 3/4 shimmies down absolutely pat, but what I'm really having problems with is the basic stationary shimmy. I've gotten a number of tips from my instructor to quickly move my legs back and forth until your legs hit a 'zone' where you can feel your quad flopping back and forth, and that you need to keep your legs relaxed, but I can't seem to get it. My body just stops doing it after a couple of seconds & I can't seem to relax my legs. *sigh*. I'm doing really, really well in bellydancing but this is a sticking point and problem that is really driving me nuts as it's something we do so often in our performances, etc.

SmilingMarie

When I teach shimmy I start it up from really slow and then acccelerate till my students find a pace they enjoy - remember- it is you muscles that need training as much as your brain telling your legs what to do. So put on your favourite music and start by tapping your hips (use knees) to the beats - hit all the 4s, then the 8s, then the 16s (this is when it starts to feel like a shimmy) - keep it for a minute and see if you can do it faster.

Mya

sometimes when our beginners have problems we tell them to look at it as running the heels - the feet aren't coming off the floor; just the heels. sometimes when they get comfortable with that then they are able to progress to leaving the feet flat on the floor and just using the knees and eventually being able to vibrate the muscles in the legs without involving the knees so much.

Reen.Blom

What I have a problem with is that all is fine with shimmy even if I do chest slides while shimmying and stuff, but as suun as I shift weight to one leg I just stop...:(

Lydia

Hi Reen i think you shift to much weight ...dont realy shift all your bodyweight to your working leg....weight is stil in the middle but like a bit more to the working leg than to the other leg start with small ,,shifting,, till you feel it well only then you can make it bigger, and bigger...use slow music ...concentrate!! hugs Lydia

janaki

Hi Reen i think you shift to much weight ...dont realy shift all your bodyweight to your working leg....weight is stil in the middle but like a bit more to the working leg than to the other leg start with small ,,shifting,, till you feel it well only then you can make it bigger, and bigger...use slow music ...concentrate!! hugs Lydia

Great point Lydia!!! yes, many people shift 100% body weight on the leg and they can't move anymore. This applies to many other moves in bellydance. You are getting a reputation for this.

Oooopsy daisy! I am not allowed to give you reputation. It is heart to heart then.
Cheers
Janaki

Last edited:

cassiopeia

I generally use an Egyptian shimmy when I shimmy fast for long periods of time. It was and still is a difficult shimmy for me to do. I'm always practicing this shimmy.

First I had to figure out where to place my feet to allow me to do the move quickly. I found I had to spread them out farther than I would if the move was slower. Also changing my weight *slightly* to the toes made the hips push up and a bit forward, making it easier for me to speed the move up.

However.... if I want to perform a buzzing shimmy to the front, I will move my weight to the toes and lift the heels off the ground. This pushes the hips slightly forward, chest slightly back, the thighs and hips are able to stay relaxed, and you should be able to speed this way up, still keeping the relaxed look without going into a freeze.

When you are comfortable, you should be able to layer tiny hip circles, figure 8's, hip slides, etc.. Watch that your hands are absolutely controlled, if not just touch them together and they will behave.

Reen.Blom

Thank you Lydia and Janaki! I think this is the reason - I didnt realize I was shifting too much weight! Especially if I was trying to say step with one leg to the side to sort of accentuate the thimmy on that leg - then the other leg would take ALL the weight! Thank you, Ladies, for the tips, you are real stars! :) I will keep on practicing!