Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can someone please breakdown the moves in this video

Hi, i was positively in awe when i saw this video of Sadie (previously never heard of her) doing a drum solo,, if anyone would be so kind as to explain the movements ( names of) in the first few minutes of this id be so gratefulhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=YamDoDK71...elated&search=

Post Thanks / Like

ok,forget the entire video, but will someone pleazzzzzzzzzze verify that the first two things she does are hip circles??? or umis?? and then 3/4 shimmies???? if not please correct me!!! thanxx

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,

The first is travelling Oumi/verticle/brazillian hip circles. The second is 3/4 shimmy. Give me little more time. I will break the moves for you. Hope this helps!!!!

Cheers
    Janaki

Post Thanks / Like

oh, thank you so much,, i would greatly appreciate it,, also, is she doing some type of locking technique in her 3/4 shimmy, it looks so very pronounced......

Post Thanks / Like

Hi:

when the clip starts she is doing umis, which I call tilting hip circles but I"m going to type umi because its shorter.

The next thing she does is a kind of 3/4 shimmy movement with emphasis on the down, layered over a slide. You will also note when these rifs end, her foot raises slightly. That's because she is ends these not only with a lock down, but a tiny internalized psoas tuck in.

from 0:17 to 0:25 she is breaking down the umis into various locks. Think of the umi as a square rather than circle, with points to the front, left side, back, right side. She is breaking the umi down into and locking at these points. To do this correctly, you really need to be doing the umi correctly. It is really difficult to explain with words, but the tilt back needs to be pulled with your lowest abs (place you hand at your bikini line, that is what should pull the back tilt; if you push it with your glutes it looks like a vulgar "lets do the time warp" thrust), the "forward" really needs to be a return to neutral to protect your lower back. The side locks need to be done with weight equally distributed on both feet and moving the hips straight up and down, not side to side -- a teeter-totter type of movement with an internalized fulcrum, not a pendulum. So back to Sadie, she locks the 4 points, then conects them into the tilting circle, then she hits the final accents with forwards and side ones, then repeats it again. This part of the music repeats again and she does some upper body isolations that includes an undulation downward, then upward, then some more locks.

Next part is flutters. Done with diaphragm. I'm sure there is a good explanation somewhere.

Next is down hips, ending the phrases with more side to side and front locks.

That is all I'm going to break down, though many of her movements go back to variations of the umi, and locks of the hip down, up, or to the front.

What makes her drum solo difficult is the speed at which she executes these very cleanly.

This drum solo is very American in its approach -- highly choreographed, overly analytical, technically brilliant, but rather devoid of emotion. I have never seen any dancer from the Middle East do anything like this with drum solo music.

If you like Sadie's style, she has an instructional DVD out focusing on drum solos. I haven't seen it, just sharing FYI.

Sedonia

Post Thanks / Like

thanks sedoniaraqs,, very interesting , also verrry technical and wayy to challenging for me to understand at this point,, also i didnt know this was an american drum solo technique,although i havent seen that many bellydancers i have never seen anything like this.... again thanks for explaining

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Sedonia great job! It is always interesting to watch video and have someone explain to you what the performer is doing especially if you depend on DVDs and youtube with learing!

Pity I cant give you reps at this point!

Post Thanks / Like

Sadie is very technical... I had her dvd but ended up selling it but if you wanted to do this dance that has been broken down for you and get to know the tech side of it, this dvd would a good start... She breaks all this stuff down, if it's your type of style ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slinks View Post
    Sadie is very technical... I had her dvd but ended up selling it but if you wanted to do this dance that has been broken down for you and get to know the tech side of it, this dvd would a good start... She breaks all this stuff down, if it's your type of style ...
    Is she teaching the same choreography that is on that video?

Post Thanks / Like

No.. not this youtube choreo, what I was saying was that those moves, that she does (most of them) are broken down on this dvd, so if you did learn from the dvd, those moves in the youtube choreo would be easier to break down. Though Sadie is teaching a drum dance choreo on the dvd ..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast