Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Slinks! I read the reviews and sounds like it is quite a complicated solo she is teaching, so for now I will stick to Jenna's DVD And maybe later will consider Sadie cos the DVD is quite pricey

I am totaly enchanted with drum solo's... So I love "heartbeat of belly dance"
    Last edited by Reen.Blom; 06-21-2007 at 10:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The other thing about this video clip: notice her costume. The belt is worn so low that if it weren't for the round applique part sticking up in the middle of both the front and the back, her pubes and butt crack would be showing. I'm not criticizing the costume (other than the length of the circle skirt I've already commented on in another thread). I'm just saying that the belt is riding so low on the sides of her hips -- and this is where her hips are widest -- that it gives greater emphasis to some of those hip movements. The movements look bigger with this costume design than they would in some other kind of costume.

Sedonia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sedoniaraqs View Post
    The other thing about this video clip: notice her costume. The belt is worn so low that if it weren't for the round applique part sticking up in the middle of both the front and the back, her pubes and butt crack would be showing. I'm not criticizing the costume (other than the length of the circle skirt I've already commented on in another thread). I'm just saying that the belt is riding so low on the sides of her hips -- and this is where her hips are widest -- that it gives greater emphasis to some of those hip movements. The movements look bigger with this costume design than they would in some other kind of costume.

Sedonia
    Wow I actually was wondering how costume can emphathise or conceal the moves! I also wonder how covering the tummy in bodystocking could maybe conceal certain tummy moves!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reen.Blom View Post
    Wow I actually was wondering how costume can emphathise or conceal the moves! I also wonder how covering the tummy in bodystocking could maybe conceal certain tummy moves!
    Yes, that is a topic I have been thinking about lately. I am going to start a new thread in the costumes section. I hope you ladies don't mind if I quote you in the new thread!

Post Thanks / Like

i have also thought about this!! i feel i am "missing out" lol if i dont wear my scarf low to expose the entire flare of my hip,, i am longwaisted and cant even see what im doing otherwise,, i have often looked at costumes worn by bellydancers and wondered if they moved skirt or scarf just slightly lower if it would make the dance more pleasing..

Post Thanks / Like

I really like this thread.. maybe we should try breaking down videos more often. Might be helpful for dancers without an instructor.

Post Thanks / Like

ok so i need some clarity about this oumi...it's not a term our instructor has ever used but i'm almost sure we do the move called by some other name - so i'd just like to figure out what it is!

i know that it's some sort of circular hip movement...but which one? is it the one that looks like half of an over-8? or the one that looks like what your hip would be doing if you were riding bicycle.(like a circular forward and back motion)..or is it your entire hip moving in a circle?

Post Thanks / Like

Iøve recently been to a large bellydance workshop with people coming from all over - there were many different names for this type of hip cirkle - whether they are all completely the same I don't know of course: afro, brazilian, wriggly circle, broken cirkle, (hip/pelvic) rotation, uni, ami-ami... when I danced in England, it was called wriggly circle, I teach in Denmark now and call it hip rotation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SmilingMarie View Post
    Iøve recently been to a large bellydance workshop with people coming from all over - there were many different names for this type of hip cirkle - whether they are all completely the same I don't know of course: afro, brazilian, wriggly circle, broken cirkle, (hip/pelvic) rotation, uni, ami-ami... when I danced in England, it was called wriggly circle, I teach in Denmark now and call it hip rotation.
    I have heard it called by a lot of different names as well: Omi, pelvic undulation, pelvic circle, Moroccan circle, African circle and rolling circle.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    ok so i need some clarity about this oumi...it's not a term our instructor has ever used but i'm almost sure we do the move called by some other name - so i'd just like to figure out what it is!

i know that it's some sort of circular hip movement...but which one? is it the one that looks like half of an over-8? or the one that looks like what your hip would be doing if you were riding bicycle.(like a circular forward and back motion)..or is it your entire hip moving in a circle?
    Is it the one where you lift one hip(that lateral move without swinging)- then contract the pelvis- then lift the other hip- release? A circle very much "contained" within hips?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast