Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    i know that it's some sort of circular hip movement...but which one? is it the one that looks like half of an over-8? or the one that looks like what your hip would be doing if you were riding bicycle.(like a circular forward and back motion)..or is it your entire hip moving in a circle?
    i dont consider it a circular hip movement. its a hip lift with a pelvic tilt that slides from one hip to the opposite ending in a hip lift on the other side, then a pelvic release. the contraction and release is what distinguishes it from a hip circle.

it should look as if your hips are riding ocean waves, kind of bobbling like the hula dolls you see on car dashes.

Post Thanks / Like

In the video that started this thread the VERY first move she does is an umi, only she is travelling on it.
    I would very much consider it a circular movement, though. I guess that just depends on how you percept the moves and what mental images you have in your mind to get the right feeling. I tend to think of the whole move as a shape to get more flow, than when breaking it up in little pieces.

Post Thanks / Like

shapes work good too. especially for hip 8's and hip/chest circles, bicycle hips...

once i get to a certain point of basic bd knowledge- aka the fundamentals- i use the basics to elaborate or add onto to get the "compound" moves. its a personal learning technique, very mechanical- meaning i take a move and break it down into its tiniest components then execute and round them out as a whole. its not a technique for everyone.

there are many types of learning. at one point or another when a method or approach isnt working, its time to try a more tactile/visual approach. for me imagery is a good start to getting the moves to be executed in my own "style" or with my own "flare".

dont we have a thread on different styles of learning?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charity View Post
    i dont consider it a circular hip movement. its a hip lift with a pelvic tilt that slides from one hip to the opposite ending in a hip lift on the other side, then a pelvic release. the contraction and release is what distinguishes it from a hip circle.

it should look as if your hips are riding ocean waves, kind of bobbling like the hula dolls you see on car dashes.
    I also think the omi/African Circle/pelvic circle it is very much a circular movement--if not a circle it is almost a sphere. At least it is if keep the movement soft and rounded and continuous. It can be more angular as well, if you emphasise the points like you describe--there are lots of slight variations.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost a 3D circle so to say....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123