Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Certification, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fink View Post
    Dear A'isha,

The Middle Eastern Dance class that my wife teaches is accredited. The NATCMED certification was so that her department head had the necessary paperwork to offer the class.

NATCMED certification is more like a yoga or aerobics certification.

Take care, Rick
    Dear Rick,
    Does your wife teach other dance classes through the college, is she tenured or does she have other standing there besides as a Middle Eastern dance teacher, and which dances does she teach? Is the certification good at other colleges, and under what accreditation? I am sorry for all of the questions, but I am trying to get really good picture of what is going on and how it is happening. When courses are accredited, it usually means they have passed some sort of examination and I am curious about that. Who accredited the class and are they qualified? The department that I worked for at university had to go through it once when I was there.
    I remember when I worked at Eastern Washington University as costume designer and shop supervisor, I had no degree in costuming, but people could pick up credits working for me if they were enrolled in certain accredited classes as part of their Theater degree.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Dear A'isha.

Helene started teaching at Austin Community College in the 1980's. At first it was aerobics, then Middle Eastern Dance, then yoga. It was under the kinesiology department which is basically phys ed. Also they had ballet, modern, african and ballroom classes.

A few years ago the college had a big problem with their accreditation and eveyone had to come up with paperwork! Helene had to scramble to get her aerobics and yoga certification as well. There was no teacher certification for Medance and that's when and why we started NATCMED.

Take care, Rick
    Last edited by Rick Fink; 07-25-2007 at 09:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Certification

Dear Rick,
    Thank you for the info.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456