Boy Shakira dancing on tv show

KuteNurse

OMG! Did anyone else see the tasteless guy dancing on the new tv show "America has got Talent?" He was dressed as a woman with a curly wig a bra top with no boobs and a skirt with a coin hip scarf wrapped around it. He danced to a Shakira song, doing some BD moves or attempting BD moves. He looked ridiculous trying to dance and impersonate Shakira. It was actually comical and the audience on the show were totally amused. 2 of the judges, Sharon Osbourne and the English guy Pierre voted yes for him to go on next level to win 1,000,000 dollars. The Baywatch guy David, voted no and got mad and walked off the stage in anger...lol What a riot to watch!

Here is the link...There is a picture of him, along with other pictures from other performers. Go under recaps...go to picture #5.
NBC.com - America's Got Talent

Last edited:

jannine

kutenurse
I watched it last night, I found it very distastefull. I actually don't know what else to say. It wasn't funny, he certainly wasn't good by any means. I actually don't know why they let him move on to the next level. I thought maybe they are having a hard time finding good talent this time.

be blessed

KuteNurse

I agree. I think they let him pass because he amused and entertained the audience. I think they will keep him in the game as long as they can for entertainment purposes...Which is kind of sad actually.

jannine

I agree, it is sad. When I first began belly dancing, I was rather lost on where to buy clothes etc, so I went to the yellow pages, under Belly Dance. It said see: Men's Entertainment. I was not happy with that either. Along with learning and sharing, I have educating people along the way to the tastefull and beautifull art that it deserves. I really think that last night, the performance, people thought it was more of a joke.

be blessed

KuteNurse

I agree, it is sad. When I first began belly dancing, I was rather lost on where to buy clothes etc, so I went to the yellow pages, under Belly Dance. It said see: Men's Entertainment. I was not happy with that either. Along with learning and sharing, I have educating people along the way to the tastefull and beautifull art that it deserves. I really think that last night, the performance, people thought it was more of a joke.

be blessed

That is sad...That BDing has a sterotype like that to be in the men's entertainment section.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed watching men BD so I do not want to sound like I have something against them dancing...in this case of the guy immitating shakira, he was not very good at all.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Somebody sent me the link to that video - it was ghastly.

But I have to admit that it came under the heading: "It was so BAD it was good!".

As for phone books - our local one has Belly Dancers indexed under "Adult Entertainment". Of course all the Belly Dancers are actually found under "Entertainers, Family".

teela

thank you for posting the URL. I was flabbergasted with the performance and it left me speechless. I think this falls under the category of Oh My!!!!!!

Sara

Okay, you're all right. He was way too serious about it! It was cringe worthy. :( Poor guy.

Made me crack up.

"I identify myself with Shakira because I have lived a lot of things that she has probably lived and I probably connect with her. I love her a lot because she's real. She's original. She's authentic."

Lmao!

Last edited:

MyCapoeira

All I can say is WOW, lol. I don't mean that in a good way. Here I am a MALE trying to start belly dancing, and this guy shows up...GREAT!

Shanazel

With something is excess of three hundred million people, America is bound to have talent. Unfortunately, so little of it shows up on television...

Eshta

Hahahaha, having just had "Britain's got Talent" inflicted on me by my reality-tv hungry flatmate, I'm starting to see the humour in these acts. It's like when X factor show the BAD auditionees, which is usually far more entertaining than the good ones!

That clip was hysterical! Possibly more so because I really think Boy Shakira means everything he says, and truly thinks he dances like Shakira! I don't think this is a slur on belly dancing, I think it's hardly related - boy Shakira is copying Shakira moves, not 'belly dance' per se. We're just particularly tuned in to anything in a hipscarf.

And The Hoff's face was priceless!

I might have to start watching the US version now the UK one is over!!

gretchenkellett

Oh Boy... Boy Shakira!

Sadiyya posted this on the NBC website:

strange belly dance acts??? - NBC

So, what's the deal with choosing belly dancers so you can make fun of them. The producer probably doesn't know much about the art of Middle Eastern dance and the huge subculture of belly dancers in America and all around the world. Why choose side-show like acts or a male belly dancer (who was chosen to be made fun of even though there are tons of talented male belly dancers in our community).

This is degrading to my art form. Why wasn't a serious act of belly dancing chosen (the guy is probably a serious student/performer of this dance - but he was CHOSEN as a joke - to be made fun of)? I don't think the producer has any inkling of the unfortunate impact this kind of image of belly dancers perpetuates. We are a community of hard working, talented artists who are constantly fighting an uphill battle against negative stereotypes (stereotypes that Hollywood first created and is still pushing to the masses). Ever heard of the Bellydance Superstars? Ever gone to a top-notch Middle Eastern supper club in LA or New York or Cairo and seen the wonderful talent that is little known to the rest of the world.

You had a chance to present belly dance as something novel and cool and sensual and an artistic, cultural connection to the world events. Why degrade it? For money? Thanks. Open your eyes! Take a deeper look into something outside of your own little world.

My thoughts:
I completely agree with what she said and she worded it so well! I don't know if she's the dancer from Texas I met once but whomever she is she's hit the nail on the head!

I thought the performance was silly and entertaining by the fact he took that stage over... above and beyond that it was bad like a car accident. You couldn't help but watch it and wince.

The male 'stripper' bellydancer Galadeen (I think that is his name) was just as bad too.

But really since I have watched this how I wonder why are they showing so many sub-par bellydance performers/performances? Are there any talented pro-bellydancers auditioning who they are not showing or CHOOSING not to show? It could be the fact that the producers are choosing to show us the sub par performers in order to get ratings.

Yes it insults the dance as an art form and cultural dance. I don't think they realize that. Hopefully though there will be a Bellydance performer male or female who will turn it around on that show in the future. I would love to see Jim Boz on there he would blow them away!

Who caught the cute Bollywood dancer... what he did was fun and a great dance number!

KuteNurse

Hahahaha, having just had "Britain's got Talent" inflicted on me by my reality-tv hungry flatmate, I'm starting to see the humour in these acts. It's like when X factor show the BAD auditionees, which is usually far more entertaining than the good ones!

That clip was hysterical! Possibly more so because I really think Boy Shakira means everything he says, and truly thinks he dances like Shakira! I don't think this is a slur on belly dancing, I think it's hardly related - boy Shakira is copying Shakira moves, not 'belly dance' per se. We're just particularly tuned in to anything in a hipscarf.

And The Hoff's face was priceless!

I might have to start watching the US version now the UK one is over!!

You hit it right on...He really thinks he is the best thing next to Shakira...lol AND, David H was hysterical to watch. I can hardly wait to see next week's show. Unfortunately, I might have to videotape it because I will have company.

Ms Minx

I must say my mouth just hung open as I watched. And after the initial shock I thought well lets look at his technique. That did not help... not one bit.

KuteNurse

Sadiyya posted this on the NBC website:

strange belly dance acts??? - NBC

So, what's the deal with choosing belly dancers so you can make fun of them. The producer probably doesn't know much about the art of Middle Eastern dance and the huge subculture of belly dancers in America and all around the world. Why choose side-show like acts or a male belly dancer (who was chosen to be made fun of even though there are tons of talented male belly dancers in our community).

This is degrading to my art form. Why wasn't a serious act of belly dancing chosen (the guy is probably a serious student/performer of this dance - but he was CHOSEN as a joke - to be made fun of)? I don't think the producer has any inkling of the unfortunate impact this kind of image of belly dancers perpetuates. We are a community of hard working, talented artists who are constantly fighting an uphill battle against negative stereotypes (stereotypes that Hollywood first created and is still pushing to the masses). Ever heard of the Bellydance Superstars? Ever gone to a top-notch Middle Eastern supper club in LA or New York or Cairo and seen the wonderful talent that is little known to the rest of the world.

You had a chance to present belly dance as something novel and cool and sensual and an artistic, cultural connection to the world events. Why degrade it? For money? Thanks. Open your eyes! Take a deeper look into something outside of your own little world.

My thoughts:
I completely agree with what she said and she worded it so well! I don't know if she's the dancer from Texas I met once but whomever she is she's hit the nail on the head!

I thought the performance was silly and entertaining by the fact he took that stage over... above and beyond that it was bad like a car accident. You couldn't help but watch it and wince.

The male 'stripper' bellydancer Galadeen (I think that is his name) was just as bad too.

But really since I have watched this how I wonder why are they showing so many sub-par bellydance performers/performances? Are there any talented pro-bellydancers auditioning who they are not showing or CHOOSING not to show? It could be the fact that the producers are choosing to show us the sub par performers in order to get ratings.

Yes it insults the dance as an art form and cultural dance. I don't think they realize that. Hopefully though there will be a Bellydance performer male or female who will turn it around on that show in the future. I would love to see Jim Boz on there he would blow them away!

Who caught the cute Bollywood dancer... what he did was fun and a great dance number!

I don't think they are meaning to make fun of belly dancing in general. I think the subject at hand is what is entertaining those who watch the show. What is amusing is a man dressing as a woman trying to dance in woman's clothing. Plus, he probably knows nothing of belly dancing. I believe he is just immitating Shakira and not belly dancing.

Moon

"I'm trying to immitate Shakira, I do the Shakira performance." :think: Shouldn't he try to sing than? Or at least playback? Because Shakira is a singer, right?
Plus I've never seen Shakira wearing a costume that looked like his (but maybe I just missed that)
Very bad immitation imo.

Tikvah

I don't think they are meaning to make fun of belly dancing in general. I think the subject at hand is what is entertaining those who watch the show. What is amusing is a man dressing as a woman trying to dance in woman's clothing. Plus, he probably knows nothing of belly dancing. I believe he is just immitating Shakira and not belly dancing.

I think you're right....it was awful to watch. One glimmer of hope is that if you watch the glimpses of the other acts, it looks like some actual good bellydancers have made it to the next round. Let's hope they show them on TV!