Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    Senior Member sedoniaraqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    cultural wasteland of the midwestern US
    Posts
    583
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Group,
    We have a person in town who is doing the same thing. She goes and takes a lesson or sponsors someone here and then puts in her site that she teaches the style of dance almost immediately after taking the class. She has been dancing about five years and teaches so many kinds of dance that real teachers would have spent a lifetime learning just a few of them. She very carefully does not mention in her site anywhere that she has been at this less than five years,
    Wow. I just visited that site. Very interesting array of articles she has -- very passive-agressive-defensive undertone.

    And yep, the list of 50 dance styles offered as workshop topics. Right.

    Sedonia

  2. #12
    V.I.P. Reen.Blom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Between Heaven and Earth Upside Down
    Posts
    3,708
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well ladies I know a girl that was in the same beginners class with me - and after about 16 hours in class (during 3 months) she started giving beginners classes! LOL It is not like she even did some extensive work at home with DVDs or had proficiency in any other dance (that would at least give her good posture, graceful arms ), she just went out giving classes!

    Such people just target absolute beginners who have nothing to compare with! YUCK!!!!!

  3. #13
    V.I.P. janaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    hong kong
    Posts
    1,217
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sedoniaraqs View Post
    Wow. I just visited that site. Very interesting array of articles she has -- very passive-agressive-defensive undertone.

    And yep, the list of 50 dance styles offered as workshop topics. Right.

    Sedonia

    Do people take them seriously???? 50 styles!!!! I have seen dancers offering a dozen or so styles and that that was a lot, but 50??? OMG!!!!

  4. #14
    Super Moderator gisela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    4,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    one of my teachers told us that she once taught a drumsolo in a workshop for advanced dancers. Later she took a workshop at another dance school and was taught her own drumsolo back. It had been altered and misinterpreted and they had not asked permission to use it, even though the proffessional dancers here all know each other. They had called it *her first name* 's drumsolo and she didn't know whether to be at least glad that it had her name or upset that they changed it but still called it hers.

  5. #15
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Teaching choreographies to the dance community

    Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    one of my teachers told us that she once taught a drumsolo in a workshop for advanced dancers. Later she took a workshop at another dance school and was taught her own drumsolo back. It had been altered and misinterpreted and they had not asked permission to use it, even though the proffessional dancers here all know each other. They had called it *her first name* 's drumsolo and she didn't know whether to be at least glad that it had her name or upset that they changed it but still called it hers.

    Dear Gisela,
    I have been teaching dance for over 30 years. As far as I am concerned, when I teach a choreography, including a drum solo, to people in a workshop, they have bought that choreography from me and they have the right to perform it. If they choose to change it, my hope is that they will say their dance was inspired by one of my choreographies, Even many times if they choose not to change it, it will not look the same on them as it does on me. This is the chance we take when we choose to teach choreographies in a workshop setting. It is also why I rarely do teach one, choosing instead to teach technique. The reason that so many choreographies look so bad when they are recycled is that many people do not have the technique in order to perform the choreography to begin with.
    Regards,
    A'isha

  6. #16
    V.I.P.
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Europe - London
    Posts
    1,227
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    reason that so many choreographies look so bad when they are recycled is that many people do not have the technique in order to perform the choreography to begin with.
    You are *so* right! I've often seen familiar choreographies performed and not realised that I've seen/learnt the choreography until some way into the performance as it's being executed so badly.

    My absolute bugbear in relation to bad technique is those who claim to perform Egyptian style yet are totally dead in the torso between the chest and the hips - no pull-in, no movement, no feeling there at all. Drives me CRAZY!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •