Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I teach for Parks and Rec I can't really set a "dress code" for classes because "We can't have any guidelines that might be percieved as discrimitory".
    What I tell people who ask is to wear something comfortable to move in, shorts, t-shirts, tank tops, exersize gear, leotard and tights, whatever makes them comfortable. I do tell them I highly recomend they don't wear jeans as they can and will interfere with their ablity to move at times. For shoes, barefoot, socks, jazz shoes, lyircal sandles, again whatever is comfortable, but try to avoid sneakers unless there is a medical reason. I do have gals who need the support/stability of sneakers, but they don't allow for much flex of the foot.
    Hipscarves and the like are more than welcome but not required.
    What I wear is a Sugarpetals unitard occasionally with jazz pants over it so they can see what's moving where and when, half sole sandels, and a hipscarf, beaded belt, coin or chainmail belt, one of the belts hubby has made from taking apart and putting together old fashion belts he finds at thrift and discount stores, or even at times just a silk veil tied around my hips. Anything to give my students ideas of how to make their own belts.

Post Thanks / Like

wow, thanks for all these replies

My teacher always wears a skirt. When she wants to show us what her legs are doing, she just lifts the skirt

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Zurah:
    No special dress code in my class, either, just comfortable garments. Part of the fun in my class (in every class, I think) is that everyone likes to bring sometimes the nice items they've bought in trips, like flowy skirts or a specially nice hipscarf - we love to show off our shiny, jangly things, and it never goes unnoticed Also it's always a good conversation starter at workshops, when usually there are students from different classes and we don't know each other well yet.
    This is also the case in my class, and I like it very much. It's just such a nice atmosphere when everybody looks beautiful and loves it lol:
    "whatever is comfortable" is the general rule (no jeans, outside shoes or the like), but people in my class also seem to like dressing bellydance'ish and showing all pretty stuff like nice dance clothes and pretty hipscarves. It's cool and indeed good conversation. For footwear most gals just wear ballet slippers and the like, or go barefoot.
    Last edited by Yshka; 07-26-2006 at 11:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

We don't have an official dress-code, either; we were just advised to wear comfortable clothing (no jeans), bare feet and a hip scarf. (The teacher lends them out to people who don't have one). The "unofficial" uniform that most people tend to wear regardless of shape and size is yoga or track pants, with a tanktop and coin hip scarf.

Post Thanks / Like

"something comfortable that you can move in" is the requested dress for our classes. I find that people tend to wear yoga, track or exercise pants, a t-shirt and quite often socks in their early classes. The people that have been dancing for a while will wear anything from skirts/harem pants/dance pants and tops to full outfits and either bare feet or jazz shoes & always a hipscarf. Our teacher always wears dance pants so we can see what her legs are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

I tell my students to wear form fitting clothing and no big skirts (so I can see their legs). I don't allow street clothing like denim at all. I also ask them to be barefoot, but I have had students wear jazz shoes and that was ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a teacher--but my two cents. I have found that I get better instruction if I wear leggings/shorts/jazz pants, hair up, hip scarf and close fitting top. The teacher can see my body line better and even in a large workshop I often get either correction or positive reinforcement. So that is what I would suggest if you want to get the most out of your dance class whether or not there is a dress code.

Sometimes I like to wear a comfortable flowing skirt, pretty hiscarf and close fitting top. When I do this I feel like I am really dancing and usually get more positive reinforcement or compliments. This can be good if I just need to have fun (after a stressful day) or need the graceful feeling to motivate me. I would only suggest this as an ocasional treat since your technique will probably improve most if your bodyline is visable.

Post Thanks / Like

"SOmething comfortable that you can move in", again. No street shoes. By level 3 we expect them to have ballet slippers for class wear. No jeans.

I prefer it enormously if they wear leggings or track pants, so I can see their legs, and I really don't like people wearing skirts to class, but accept that some people are skirt-crazy and feel more comfortable in them. However, I will make them lift the skirt if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zumarrad
    However, I will make them lift the skirt if necessary.
    hahah LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I'll wear workout clothes and my dance sandals but sometimes I'll go all out: sugar petals unitard, hip scarf,skirt, wrap top, earrings and a little makeup. If I don't wear my nice stuff to class I feel it's just going to waste sitting in my closet or dance bag. I'm a SAHM so I dress pretty casualy most of the time so this is a chance to let my inner belly dancer shine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast