"Dresscode" for lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maria_Aya

I wanna see their legs, so skirts are out, cant correct teqnics with a full skirt.
No jeans or hard fabric pants, and also not very long blouse.
So just casual clothes for workout, whatever they want.
About shoes nope, we are bare foot, if someone wants socks i'm ok.
And NO coin belts!! the reason is that usualy half of them loose the coins in the class during the class lol and we can step on them and its very very dangerous. So usualy a hip scarf without coins.
Hair mostly up in a way, and no jewels (i've seen cheek bleeding in a turn hit by a ring !!!, and dont wanna see it again in my class)
Note books, pen. The most serious bring voice recordings.
NO NO NO gum in the class!! for 2 very serious reasons
a) someone can eat it and chock b) and more importand you lose the rythm with the gum;)

And bring your best mood !!!!!!!! after all beside the teqnical things, hey we are dancing :D

Maria Aya:)

Last edited:

unaneyia

dress code for lessons

hey everyone ,
in my classes i try to encourage (a bit strictly at some points i have to admit) barefoot dancing .. not only cause of the "mentality" of the dance but also because i have found it quite disturbing trying to go for those pirouettes in any sort of dancing shoes .. my knees still ache lol..
other than that i also ask them NOT to come in long skirts,dresses or jeans so that me (as well as them selves) can be sure of the movements that we do in class...besides no matter how fun the lesson can be lets not forget the fact that its still a lesson and some guidelines have to be followed .... tracksuit pants, overalls something comfy will do .... would u ever go to a ballet or jazz lesson in jeans or long skirts ? the one thing i will not accept in class(not talking about gum,loose hair etc) is the dancing costumes .. im sorry girls but we're not there to show off.. we're there to learn ....(nothing personal for those who do wear costumes in class)
as far as hip scarves are concerned i personally dont allow them in beginner classes cause then everyone seems to get carried away from the sound and the "novelty" they get distracted and we end up spending more time in "listening" to our hips and chasing after fallen coins on the floor than in actual dancing....
right or wrong i dont know ... i m sure we all have our reasons for what we want or dont want in class and how many compromises we are ready to make ....

Last edited:

jannine

We have one dress code for lessons, she must be able to see your knees. Shes worries about hyperextension, causing knee injuires.

Be blessed!

Aisha Azar

Dress Code

Dear Group,
I do not have a dress code because I know some of my students can barely afford the classes, never mind buying dance wear for class. There are those who must choose between music and buying a scarf to tie around their hips.

Ideally, if I thought the whole class could afford it, it would put them in cat suits and a hip scarf and that's it. This is what I teach in. ( I am not sure that cat suits are called that everyplace, they are a leotard with legs.) I think this is the best way to see exactly what the body is doing, short of wearing nothing.
Regards,
A'isha

KuteNurse

I wore comfortable yoga pants with a tshirt and a hip scarf...I either wore socks or barefeet. The instructor is pretty open to clothing as long as you are comfortable.

Aisha Azar

Dance, etc.

Ahh, Nudist-Belly Dance Fusion! (reminds self that many a true word is spoken in jest. Uh oh!)

Dear Suheir,
HAHAHAHA!!!! After that Zombie nonsense, I think not much more could surprise. Nudist-belly dance fusion would appeal most to those who do not have the body for it, of course....plus they would let every pubic, armpit and leg hair they have grow out for many long, perspiration coated inches............ Okay, I have to go and wash my brain out with soap now.
Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

:lol: I have occasionally run into my students downtown and heard some comment along the lines of, "Hey, I almost didn't recognize you with your clothes on." (I hope I need not point out they meant "in street clothes.") In the ad for my class, I stipulate no blue jeans, no sweat shirts, then I spend several weeks convincing the more body-conscious students to quit hiding behind baggy tee shirts...

Status
Not open for further replies.