Worcester, MA Instructor?

Miranda Phoenix

As I mentioned in the Intro Forum, I have been fascinated by BD since I was a child and have recently begun studying it. I have been researching and reviewing videos almost non-stop for over a week now, but, though I understand there is an ongoing debate on what is and isn’t BD (and why), I’m left a bit confused as to where to start my lessons... As a total tyro, I can just barely tell the difference between styles, never mind decide which one is best for me. :rolleyes:

From what I’ve been able to find online, however, there are only two teachers in the Worcester, MA area: Amira Jamal (who teaches “Oriental”) and Phoenix Avathar (who teaches AT, Gothic, etc.). I think I should wait 'till later (if at all) on the latter, but I’m not sure that Amira’s class is what I’m looking for either.

Can anyone suggest a local teacher for me? Or, perhaps, recommend Amira Jamal’s class?

I am also considering ordering the following videos: Bellydance Basics and Beyond: Technique for a Solid Foundation, by Jenna; Bellydance: East Coast Tribal - Basics, Combinations & Strength Workout DVD, by Sera; Bellydance for the Beautiful Freaks, by Tempest; and Contemporary Bellydance and Yoga Conditioning with Ariellah, by Ariellah -- what do you think about them, are they good choices for a beginner? I picked them for their aerobic/strength workouts as much as for their technical knowledge.

Thanks for all your thoughts, my friends!

Miranda Phoenix

I'm guessing, from the lack of replies, that I'm fairly alone out here in Central Massachusetts. I think maybe I'll just take a class or two from Amira Jamal and let that be my guide. God willing, I will be thrilled with her teaching, but even if not, I still have this forum, the Internet and Amazon.com. *smile*

Speaking of which, after reading several pages of threads throughout this forum, I've decided to get Jenna's, Ariella's and Sera's DVD's, but replace Tempest's with the Bellytwin's "Bellydance Fitness for Beginners - Arms, Abs, Hips, Buns and Thighs." Hopefully, this selection will give me both a well-rounded basic instruction as well as physically prepare me for the more strenuous classroom instruction. :dance:

Chloe

I'm guessing, from the lack of replies, that I'm fairly alone out here in Central Massachusetts. I think maybe I'll just take a class or two from Amira Jamal and let that be my guide. God willing, I will be thrilled with her teaching, but even if not, I still have this forum, the Internet and Amazon.com. *smile*

Speaking of which, after reading several pages of threads throughout this forum, I've decided to get Jenna's, Ariella's and Sera's DVD's, but replace Tempest's with the Bellytwin's "Bellydance Fitness for Beginners - Arms, Abs, Hips, Buns and Thighs." Hopefully, this selection will give me both a well-rounded basic instruction as well as physically prepare me for the more strenuous classroom instruction. :dance:

Best of luck, Crazy! :D

Miranda Phoenix

Thanks, Chloe! I guess I've been a bit spoiled - it never crossed my mind when I submitted the original post that there might not be someone on here who was familiar with my neck of the woods. Silly me! :rolleyes:

The moniker "Auntie Crazy" was given to me by my half dozen or so nieces and nephews 6 years ago when I returned home after 18 years away (some of it spent traveling, some in the military). They had never met me and had trouble with my name...pronouncing it Auntie Cracy. As most siblings would be (and partially because of my rabid...er....total dedication to homeless/abandoned/neglected animals), my sisters were delighted to make it Auntie Crazy. Naturally, the name stuck. I was somewhat offended at first, but now I'm kinda proud of it. We're all a little bit to the left and the right of normal, now aren't we? :lol:

flutter

try this...

I would suggest Amira Jamal because she has been around for a while and has more experience and IMO this would garantee your getting a good foundation for the dance. Then you could dable in many other styles easily. I am in MA an have seen some of her students, they are good. You might watch you tube to get a sence of what style you like better the tribal or the cabaret too.
Good luck!!!!

Miranda Phoenix

Thanks for the advice, Flutter (love the moniker!)! I'm definitely leaning toward cabaret over tribal. Although I find many of the tribal videos I've seen quite interesting, and some of the ladies are obviously very talented, cabaret just feels (without actually dancing anything yet) closer to the basic form of the art, which is where I think I should start.

Amira Jamal's next session begins on July 14th (ending Aug 11th), and I was all set to contact her when I was told I have to attend out-of-state training the 23rd through the 27th, which means I'll miss at least one class in the 5-week session. Maybe she'd let me make that class up? Either that, or I'll have to wait until the next session starts. :think:

I'll contact Amira on Thursday and see what she thinks. In the meantime, my videos should be here any day now! :dance: