Eeeeeep!

Mya

The company i dance at is having a small fundraising event this weekend...4 small shows. I have to do the sword performances for each of them...and i'm having the worst case of pre-show jitters ever!

I keep having bad dreams and all of a sudden my choreography simply won't go right. I've only done sword once for a performance at a charity show, and it was just for the last minute or so with other girls. This solo thing is making me panic. :(

any of you ladies with more experience have tips for a novice with the sword?

janaki

Hi Mya,

You poor thing!!!! First of all relax. It only a perfromance and no one know your choreo. More you think, more you worry. You can actually do a part choreo and a part improv. Only thing you should take care is not to loose the balance of your sword. :lol::lol: I love balancing, I improv all my sword balancing dances. I only dance to the music I know very very well.

Some tips;

Dance with the sword first and then you can balance.So that the sowrd is not always on the head. Create a little drama with it.

If you are doing a chore, have set of combos(I call them emergency steps/combos) in the back burner. When nothing coming to your head or body, use these combos.

I can't think of anymore at the moment. Little bit slow on the thinking side :lol::lol:(huge hangover)

Good luck and wish you have a great show.

Viv

My recomendations? Don't be afraid to reach up and re-balance your sword if need be. There's a gal in Phoenix who always wows me with her sword work. If the sword gets off balance she very matter of factly reaches up and fixes it while continuing on with whatever move she was doing. No fuss, no big deal, just fixes it and keeps right on going.
The other thing I've seen was a gal who did drop her sword, and she pointed and did the "scolding finger" shake at it with her finger (like scolding a little child) then picked it up amid the giggles from the audience and went right back to dancing.

janaki

My recomendations? Don't be afraid to reach up and re-balance your sword if need be. There's a gal in Phoenix who always wows me with her sword work. If the sword gets off balance she very matter of factly reaches up and fixes it while continuing on with whatever move she was doing. No fuss, no big deal, just fixes it and keeps right on going.
The other thing I've seen was a gal who did drop her sword, and she pointed and did the "scolding finger" shake at it with her finger (like scolding a little child) then picked it up amid the giggles from the audience and went right back to dancing.

Yes, great advise Viv!!!!! This is how you come out of a crisis when balancing. Little bit of humor ldefinitley eases the situation.

Mya

thank you Viv! i think that's great advice since i'm afraid that somehow i'll manage to drop the thing though i don't usually! and janaki i'll start thinking up those back-up moves from now!

:)

Mya

ok so it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. By the second performance i wasn't so nervous before the crowd and was more comfortable dancing...and the sword never fell :dance:
thanks for the words of encouragement ladies!

Mya

thank you! it's actually gold and black, but the black is sheer so it just looks like a shadow over the gold.

Mya

oh geee...you are all making me blush now -many thanks! which language is it that i speak by the way?

KuteNurse

I was always told that pre-performance jitters are good for you...They get you focused on what you are to do so you can concentrate better...As long as the jitters are not extreme. I remember getting nervous for speeches, and before swim meets and it actually helped a bit. My son get nervous before his bike races, and he always performs well.

Mya

yeah mine weren't very subtle for the first show...the sword slipped alot...mostly because i was shaking alot. the jitters did making shimmying easier though! the others were a little better - i need to do it more before audiences i think.