Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 performance related questions

Hi everyone,

The "What happens when you perform"-thread made me think of 2 questions.

1. Did you ever had the feeling after a performance that you did well, then see a video of yourself later and think "oooh noooo!"
    2. Did you ever dance just for fun for your boyfriend / girlfriend / husband / wife etc.? How did you feel?

My own answers:

1. After my performance I thought I'd done pretty good but when I saw the video one week later, I was almost shocked because I thought I was way better than that. I looked sooo stupid. Or am I just to critical on myself?
    2. I tried to dance a few times for my boyfriend but than I get sooo nervous I almost have to cry and I can't think of anymore moves. Rather strange because I trust him and I know he will find me great wathever I do. Maybe I just want it to be perfect for him? When he came to my first performance, I was a bit scared at first I would get very nervous because of his presence, but I had no problems and I was actually very happy he showed up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    The "What happens when you perform"-thread made me think of 2 questions.

1. Did you ever had the feeling after a performance that you did well, then see a video of yourself later and think "oooh noooo!"
    2. Did you ever dance just for fun for your boyfriend / girlfriend / husband / wife etc.? How did you feel?

1. No, because I've never seen a video of myself dancing. I've actually *had* a video of myself dancing (not belly dance) in a show for several months, but I'm afraid to watch it!

2. No. I started dancing again after my last breakup (a coincidence!).

addendum: I have gone all Rachel Brice a couple of times, and filmed myself practicing (without a mirror). Wow, my technique become much sloppier when I don't have instant feedback!
    Last edited by da Sage; 07-26-2006 at 12:16 AM. Reason: add addendum

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Moon,

1. I have watched several videos of myself performing over the past few months. I have never in three years seen myself performing so it was pretty odd to see a routine I've been doing for quite some time, after all that time (just got them lol). In one of our troupe routines I saw myself make some weird flapping move with my arm... I was like: what was that? and I felt pretty weird about it .
    But then again, when I saw myself cane-dancing on a video for the 1st time and I saw myself do a backbend I was more like: impressive...

2. Nope. I have danced for friends though which was quite a lot of fun, but then again we all got up and danced so it wasn't a big deal really

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Moon,

1. I never like the way I appear on video even if other people tell me how amazing I was or whatever. I am my own worst enemy and this happens to me every single time I see myself on video. I can walk off the stage *knowing* I did a good job, then see myself on video and just about die even when other people are simultaneously giving me very positive feedback.

2. I can't dance for my boyfriend. I think I would pee myself laughing. I've danced for friends and I've done impromptu demonstrations for the curious, but my boyfriend makes me feel weird. Nothing he's doing, it's just me. I don't think that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

usely when i come of stage ,i feel i could have done better even after so many years of performing,,,,even when my musicians and the crowd say,s it was great.i still feel i could have done better ...perhaps 1 out of 10 shows i feel today was ok.....when i see myself on tv or vedeo i usely think it looks fine....Lydia

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Moon ,i forgat the 2nd Q....i never danced for boyfriend .....But plenty time,s for friends because they regular visit the places where i perform,,,it is good for me because i get a honest feedback about the show my musicians and the whole event,the dancing part stay,s the same..i feel and perform the same,people are people for me when i perform,and i don,t see them as a differant ,,body,,watching me dance(i hope you know what i mean) but after the show i wil call them from the dressing room to say it was great that they attended the show,what i mean...lydia

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Moon.
    1. I have never seen a video of my performance and maybe thats better.but I feel good after performance when I am sure that I made all the moves right. or at least I think so.
    2. I know whot you meen. I am always more stress when I have todance in front of people I know. I am forgeting my own choreo and making just basic moves. I sow video that my cousin made when I was danceing for my family. i was realy depresed, That was terible.

Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting thread!

1. No, I'm too new at this to have been filmed yet!

2. My sweetie has walked through the room when I am practicing, but when I think of "performing FOR him"...it would feel too much like I was trying to do a Mata Hari Sexy dance - and that would be WEIRD because that's not really how I feel about BD.

AT

Post Thanks / Like

1: there is a couple of videos of me floating around but I haven't seen them yet - not sure if I want to either!

2: yep heaps of times.. my hubby (along with my kids) is my practice audience. I figured if I can dance in front of him/them then strangers should be no problem - not that it actually worked out that way But I dance for him as I would for any other audience & don't think I'd be able to do it if I was deliberately trying to be sexy - it just wouldn't feel right.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies ladies
    I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only one who feels less comfortable when dancing for people I know than when dancing for strangers.
    I hope I didn't give the wrong impression when I said "dancing for boyfriend". I never try to dance "more sexy" when dancing for him. I try to dance like I dance when practicing or when in class.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast