Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Moon!

1. It is kind of odd - when I watch a video of myself in recent performances, it doesn't quite feel that it is me. I do watch that girl dance there, think - "oh, this isn't quite right there" or "hey, that looks pretty good" (more of the first than the latter, of course ). But I don't take it all personally. I kind of hope that it is a healthy way of learning, not danying :P

I do prefer not watchin the videos from my very first performances though... That makes me feel kind of embarrassing. :o

2. No. The only close people allowed to see me dance are my dancing friends and my mother. They are the only ones among my friends who can sit in the audience and I can still feel comfortable. Everyone else can be there as long as I don't know it nor notice them. Oh, and dancing extra for bf - that would most probably end just like your attempts, Moon.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread... very topical for me

1. First performance coming up... do I fill in the order form for a copy of the DVD? I'm curious to see what I look like, but my inner voice is screaming Nooooooooo! Don't do it!!! I usually hate what I look like in photos, makes me want to go and crawl under a rock, so video has the potential to be that much worse.

2. No. I think we'd both be embarrassed. Glad I'm not the only one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    1. Did you ever had the feeling after a performance that you did well, then see a video of yourself later and think "oooh noooo!"
    2. Did you ever dance just for fun for your boyfriend / girlfriend / husband / wife etc.? How did you feel?

If I let myself I can watch a video of myself and tear it all apart no matter how good or bad I feel the show went. I'm not perfect, I'm human and I'm going to make mistakes. I usually watch for things that jump out at me, like the excessively twitchy left hand when I shimmy for example, that I need to work on. What I find happening more is that I watch the videos of shows I didn't feel I did well in and discover I wasn't as "off" that day as I thought. They might not be my best performances, but they aren't as awful as I thought they were at the time.

I don't dance for hubby in particular. He sees me practicing, teaching and performing all the time. He's our video/photo guy so he's at every show I'm at. I count on him to be honest with me about how my performance was and anything he saw for the troupe that was fantastic/awful. In truth I find it reassuring to have him watch because no matter how the show goes, if we've got a "good" or "bad" audience, I know I've got one person out there who wants to watch me dance because they think I'm great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    ....I hope I didn't give the wrong impression when I said "dancing for boyfriend". I never try to dance "more sexy" when dancing for him. I try to dance like I dance when practicing or when in class.

You did not give the wrong impression at all! Personally, I just feel almost like I'm "supposed" to be that way if its "one on one" with him - I don't know why...HE doesn't expect it! I think it's all the media stuff nowadays. I hate to use that as an excuse - I like to think I'm unaffected by it, but there is a lot of "bellydance in the bedroom" stuff in magazines and I think it's clouding my focus when I try to perform for "my man".
    ~~sigh!~~
    I'M BRAINWASHED!!! AAAaaHH!

AT

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever we have a performance, there is usually my teacher's husbnd videotapes our big performances. The first few videos that I've seen of myself, I was so critical of everything. But I look at each video to help me improve.
    Secondly, when I first started taking classes, I would perform fopr my significant other. Oddly enough I didn't find it as equally lovely performance in return
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Default tonight

I am so inspired,tonight I am going to record myself dancing,this will be interesting!!

when I dance for my hubby,which isnt so often,he always says that I am realy good,even though I dont feel I was.so by recording,I will have a better idea!!

amanda
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

Post Thanks / Like

1. I just saw a few videos of my performances and I believe I performed in the way I had thought, I had no surprises :P
    2. I am too shy to dance to a boyfriend or someone who is very close. I prefere big presentations which are not so intimidating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jessenia
    2. I am too shy to dance to a boyfriend or someone who is very close. I prefere big presentations which are not so intimidating.
    I feel the same

Post Thanks / Like

my man loves it when i dance- but i can hardley do it- i feel so much more comfortable dancing for strangers then for him- its sooo much pressure- i lov ehim and i want to do so well- plus he never dances for me! haha- he always goes you never dance for me- and i go well the atmosphere is not right- really he just makes me nervous because he is the most important audience member there is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12