questions about belly dancers in cartoons/TV shows

Shanazel

Interesting. How did you get interested in anime belly dancers, Dan? Have you ever had a chance to see a real live belly dancer?

Shanazel

Well, however you got interested, thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. You're a great addition to the forum and I look forward to your posts.

Greek Bonfire

I don't know of any cartoons but I did see an old episode of Colombo where they had bellydancers and they were pro. I don't remember their names but they were really good. And why they didn't hire pros in many other movies goes to show that back then they just most likely thought it was shake something and slink something else, then call it bellydance.

danfrandes

I don't know of any cartoons but I did see an old episode of Colombo where they had bellydancers and they were pro. I don't remember their names but they were really good. And why they didn't hire pros in many other movies goes to show that back then they just most likely thought it was shake something and slink something else, then call it bellydance.

Well, Colombo's not cartoon.

Shanazel

Nope but we are really prone to drifting off the exact subject on OD just because one thing reminds us of another. ;)

I seem to recall a cartoon (maybe Disney?) that included a belly dancing hippo. :think:

Shanazel

I'm not familiar with Carnival Capers so I don't think so. I was thinking Fantasia but surely that was ballerina hippos.:think:

Shanazel

No, they aren't belly dancers. I went on YouTube and checked- ballerina hippos for sure. Darn. I have this picture in my head of a sweet girl hippo with a pink face veil...

Shanazel

Just trying to remember where I saw the belly dancing hippo. It may have been in a cartoon from the thirties or forties.

Shanazel

Fifteen years ago, I bought my children a set of five dvds with cartoons from the thirties through fifties: Popeye, Tom and Jerry, Betty Boop, etc. I think maybe the hippo was in one of those. My grandson watches them now.