Advertisement system for the forum

Moon

Lucky me :D
To everyone who doesn't like the flaoting banners: set it to "blue" or use firefox :tongue:

EDIT: Ok I just tried it out in explorer and it drived me absolutely crazy!!! Sorry Anatoliy, I know your intentions are nothing but good, but I think potentially new forum members might be scared away because of that scary smiling woman they cannot escape from.

Last edited:

Anatoliy

Administrator
Staff member
Anatoliy why not add a poll to this thread on sliding vs static banner and see if it is only 3 ppl indeed that find sliding banner irritating? ;)

There is no need to fight in proving a point about whether or not banners are irritating. Banners ARE irritating. Sliding versus static isn't really negotiable at this point, because what I've found statistically is that the sliding banner get's a lot more clicks, it's more effective than a static banner. So if we have to serve banners, we want to do it the most effective way.

Moon

Maybe we could decide together to all click one or two static banners every day, so there will be no need anymore for floating banners.

Is that a good idea?

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

LOL Moon I do not mind that! Doubt that it would work though... Oh well Anatoliy, it was just an idea.... And BTW if all is decided, then what is this thread for? We sort of noticed those banners without reading this thread... ;)

Didi

How come that when 3 members out of 1,855 posted that they hate new banners, you feel like you are in a weird minority if you don't hate them? Is 3 a major part of 1,855? ;)

You have a very good point, Anatoliy! I went back and counted, and several people said they just didn't want them to move, four people expressed outright distaste, and three people said they didn't mind, me included. Part of my feeling in the minority might have stemmed from the vehemence of those who really dislike it. Logically, though, more people who dislike the floating banner would click on the thread... there are probably loads of people like me who aren't even bothered enough to read the thread out of curiosity. :think:

I guess this is an instance of negative opinions speaking loudest, and my psychological response to it not matching the data.

Didi

Eshta

LOL Anatoliy, that's like asking us if we'd like our big fat slab of chocolate with or without the calories?! Of course people would prefer to not have banners, when we've all been spoilt with a wonderful forum and dedicated friendly support without the need for banners!

Yay firefox, no annoying banners for me whatsoever - I love firefox! :dance::tongue::cool:

Ahem, back on topic, if we have to have moving banners, as long as they don't cover the main 'body' of the forum, I could learn to live with them I guess. But they give a more 'pushy' feel than the static banners. I mean, when I go to a website with loads of banners down the sides like Gilded Serpent, my reaction tends to be "well hey, they gotta pay for it somehow, fair 'nuff", but when I go to a site with either moving banners that chase you down the page, or worse, those annoying banners that make noise (one particular banner with a mosquito buzz noise springs to mind) I get a bit turned off as it just feels like there's a pushiness to get me to click on the stupid link just to get it to leave me alone!

It might not put me off as we know this is THE best tinterweb forum out there, but the newbies might not hang about...?

But then again, it could just be me!:rolleyes:

Tuija

I am sorry but I find it impossible to read anything on page which has floating banner like that. It can be effective even it is smaller, but now it takes so much space that I hardly can concentrate on reading. So sorry but I think you will loose the people who you want to be visiting (and clicking the add) now. It needs a big popularity to be a good chat site and I thought this has now grown into it but this will make many to go away. Sorry, I also understand the business side of this. My suggestion is to make the banner smaller, as it can be as effective like that.

Mya

i'm not complaining about the banner...but i've finally figured out what it makes me think of...ever go into a store and have a clerk follow you around the entire time...in silence...giving you that weird creepy feeling? i get that same weird creepy feeling. phew - it's been bothering me that i couldn't identify that feeling for a while now.

Dev

I was missing the conversations. First of all I think its a good idea putting banner ads instead of static. And anyone annoyed with the ads please change over to firefox, problem solved. :D

slinks

I like them ... everytime I see a new one I go 'ooh looky' this morning was the lovely Chryssanthi workshop and just now is Dev's Aust online shop, in which I got my gorgeous bell hipscarf from .. I like that they tell you what's coming out too .. like the new Sensual Bellydance dvd, that will be so cool because I like Blanca (SP??) .. well done keep up the good work

Reen.Blom

I dont mind adds and banners(and I am one of those who clicks on them to see what is out there) but not the floaty flashy moving ones, as I spend alot of time reading....

Madeline

Is the floating banner that thing moves with your scrolling up and down?

If so I find it really really annoying and PLEEEEEAAAASE is there a way to set a preference somewhere to stop it because it is bugging the h*ll out of me. I love this forum and it's spoiling it bigtime for me :(

Hate it hate it hate it, it's driving me nuts, a complete dealbreaker IMO :mad:

:protest::protest::protest::protest::protest:​

I agree completely! Those scrolling ads are really distracting.

Moon

What about my idea to click one or 2 static banners every time we visit the forum so the floating thing won't be necessary anymore?

Just stop giving that horrible floating thing attention! Then Anatoliy will probably remove it! ;)

Reen.Blom

What about my idea to click one or 2 static banners every time we visit the forum so the floating thing won't be necessary anymore?

Just stop giving that horrible floating thing attention! Then Anatoliy will probably remove it! ;)

Dont they need you to buy from them to make the banner successful? In that case clicking wont help too much....

Moon

Hmm... good point. Another problem is the static banners don't change very often. I've pretty much clicked them all already.