Advertisement system for the forum

Anatoliy

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone,

We know that banners can be annoying at times. On the other hand it's prudent to provide some space for advertisers in order to financially support a large web source.

You might notice a new floating banner on the forum. I'm working on an advertisement system for the forum, it's not complete yet but is up and running. We thought that one floating banner that rotates ad's would be more appealing for readers and more effective for advertisers instead a plethora of banners.

As always I'd like the community's feedback :D

slinks

floating banners are more interesting cos you can go back to it .. like if you are reading a thread, then perhaps before going to the next page or thread read the next ad that is rolling up ... I always read the floating news words that roll along the bottom of the tv dueing the news, rather than listen to the newsman !!!

Aniseteph

Is the floating banner that thing moves with your scrolling up and down?

If so I find it really really annoying and PLEEEEEAAAASE is there a way to set a preference somewhere to stop it because it is bugging the h*ll out of me. I love this forum and it's spoiling it bigtime for me :(

Hate it hate it hate it, it's driving me nuts, a complete dealbreaker IMO :mad:

:protest::protest::protest::protest::protest:​

Didi

I actually don't mind the floating banner... especially as it has to do with belly dance products and related items...

Mya

Is the floating banner that thing moves with your scrolling up and down?

If so I find it really really annoying and PLEEEEEAAAASE is there a way to set a preference somewhere to stop it because it is bugging the h*ll out of me. I love this forum and it's spoiling it bigtime for me :(

Hate it hate it hate it, it's driving me nuts, a complete dealbreaker IMO :mad:

:protest::protest::protest::protest::protest:​

ummm...yea it is really really distracting..and not in a good way...but i do understand the need for advertising...so maybe as she suggested if we could at least have a way not to have it scroll with us that would be appreciated vastly.

da Sage

Aieee! Neon is stalking me in her pointy-toed shoes!:shok:

It was annoying at first, but I'm quickly learning to ignore it. I hope it increases revenue, because if you make the same amount, IMO, it's not worth the annoyance factor. You want new readers/members to stick around, right?

Anatoliy

Administrator
Staff member
I love belly dancers. :D Ask them any question and you are sure to get a spectrum of opinions from "I love it" to "I hate it, hate it, hate it". :D

Right now, we average about 5 new members a day and about 140 new posts per day. The forum is growing and those numbers will get larger. It takes Salome, myself and a team of 24 volunteer moderators to keep this forum running smoothly; peaceful, spam and troll free etc.

The banners are the only source of income from the forum, so we are not in a position to discuss whether or not to have banners but rather how to find a happy medium. Aniseteph brought up a great idea (thank you Aniseteph :clap:). Members who love the forum but hate the banners should have the option of a banner free forum. We will create a "Premium Membership" option - for a dollar a month premium members will see the forum without any banners on it. So everyone will be accommodated.

What do you think about this idea? How many of you love the forum, but hate the banners, and would pay a dollar a month to not see banners and support the forum?

da Sage

I kind of like the banners...they're pretty. It's the floating/following banner that annoys me! Like a spooky suit of armor in Scooby Doo, that's always RIGHT BEHIND Shaggy when he turns around.:tongue:

I personally wouldn't pay the $12, but I think it's a great option to have.

Aniseteph

Yeah, I do appreciate you got to have advertisements, it's just the Scooby Doo "behind you" effect that bugs me. If it gets too bad I'm making a special curtain to go down the side of the my monitor (lavishly fringed, sequinned and beaded of course). ;)

taheya

I must admit I dont like the floating banner. It is distracting. I think it would not be so distracting if it was static. Would that be possible instead??

Reen.Blom

I understand that the forums needs ads, but this flopsy most annoying slidy thing is also driving me mad!:mad: I know many sites use google- like text ads. If that is not possible could you please please please make it static????

I am actually interested to see links to belly dance resources(when I click it it wants to take me to the site in the current window, would it not be better if it would open a new window, instead of taking us away to another site?)

Why not use several smaller static banners instead? I really HATE it as it is!(Just my 2cent)

Safran

I'd also prefer a banner standing still. The size of it could stay the same, or they could e multiplied as the thread shows 10 posts at a time and there would be plenty of room. Then again, if the other members also feel the need for the "premium account" thing, I'd probably go along.

miriam

I actually usually click on static side banners on bellydance sites because they usually have some good information. I wouldn't pay $12 to get rid of the ads because they don't bother me, but the scrolling does. The moving makes it difficult to read the posts for me.

Moon

Uhm, sorry if this is a stupid question, but are these moving banners already on this forum, because I see nothing moving. I only see the static adds by google on the left. :confused:

Didi

You don't see a colorful sliding picture that seems to follow you as you read down a page, Moon? It's on the left below the last link on the list for "Belly Dance Store."

It still doesn't bother me. Once I've read it once, I can tune it out pretty effectively. I think I'm in a weird minority, though...

Anatoliy

Administrator
Staff member
are these moving banners already on this forum, because I see nothing moving

They are not "officially released" yet. I'm still playing with them. :D That's why those "flying monsters" are only in the "Sunset" layout. People who use the "Blue" layout (like you) still see the old good Google banners. :D

It still doesn't bother me. Once I've read it once, I can tune it out pretty effectively. I think I'm in a weird minority, though...

How come that when 3 members out of 1,855 posted that they hate new banners, you feel like you are in a weird minority if you don't hate them? Is 3 a major part of 1,855? ;)

Reen.Blom

Thanks for telling about the blue layout! I am off to it! ;)

PS Anatoliy why not add a poll to this thread on sliding vs static banner and see if it is only 3 ppl indeed that find sliding banner irritating? ;)

Last edited:

Moon

I just tried "sunset" and I don't see any floating banners there either :think:

But yes, let's keep the blue theme floating banner-free! :dance: