Videos with corkscrews

sstacy123

I attended my first workshop this weekend (help!) and one of the moves done was a corkscrew...I think I like it...does anyone know if there are any instructional videos with this move?

slinks

hmmmm, I'm not sure but I do think that MAYBE (again I'm not sure) Zurah Zuhiar's (again my mind is blank) "Magnifecent moves" dvd has a move like that .. I saw the dvd at a friends place ... you could e-mail her (Zurah Zuhiar) and ask, I remember not "really" liking alot of the contents but some were tryable "your way" give or take that move and add your own move .. Come to think of it I "think" her "Adanced Oriental class" dvd has that too I do have this dvd but it's been a while since I looked at it ...

Last edited:

da Sage

I think it was like you're doing hip circles one direction but stepping another...

This is a typical poi-dance move as well as a bellydance move. There's not a lot to it, but to do it. Although no videos spring to mind; sorry I can't be more helpful!

Reen.Blom

LOL when I read the title of this thread I thought it was some new kind of fusion......

Sounds interesting! If you find a vid clip post it here, eh?

Thanks

samsied

I attended my first workshop this weekend (help!) and one of the moves done was a corkscrew...I think I like it...does anyone know if there are any instructional videos with this move?

I don't know any videos off hand and didn't know a name for this move. But I think I do this move based on your later explanation...

The footwork is just "step-together-step" moving in the *same* direction as your hip circle. I think I learned it by taking the step when my hip circle is extended towards the direction I want to travel. I think it is easiest to practice in 1/2 circles. For example practicing the front half to the right: While doing a small forward 1/2 circle from left to right, take a small step to the side with your right foot. While your circle is extended your feet are a little farther apart than normal but still within the area of your circle. While circleing to the back right to left--step together with your left foot. Then put it tgether for a full circle. Same hip, same foot in time you won't
even notice as it will seem natural.

It is kind of hard to explain in writing. If I notice this in a video, I'll let you know.

sstacy123

Been out of town...

Well I really thought it was travelling the opposite direction but I wouldn't argue that...that's one reason I wanted a video for further explanation to make sure I understood right...when I got home from the workshop I tried it and felt like I could possibly be doing it but I had watched one of the girls at the workshop that was really good kept messing it up so I figured I must not be doing it correctly...but I guess even more experienced dancers can have trouble with simple things? It isn't on the Magnificient Moves...if i do find it on any clips I'll let y'all know.

samsied

I might be thinking of a different move. But after reading your post I played with the move I am thinking of. You can indeed step either in the direction your circle is moving or the opposite direction. I think I tend to do it in the same direction as stepping, but either way works just as well. I think you can coordinate your steps slightly different than what I earlier described as well. It is just a matter of coordinating the two just like any other type of "layered" move. If you find a clip, please let me know...

Been out of town...

Well I really thought it was travelling the opposite direction but I wouldn't argue that...that's one reason I wanted a video for further explanation to make sure I understood right...when I got home from the workshop I tried it and felt like I could possibly be doing it but I had watched one of the girls at the workshop that was really good kept messing it up so I figured I must not be doing it correctly...but I guess even more experienced dancers can have trouble with simple things? It isn't on the Magnificient Moves...if i do find it on any clips I'll let y'all know.

deelybopper

Hi all - just adding my £0.02p worth to the discussion;)

Samsied - the move you're describing, I know as a 'spiral' - you do a flat hip circle, and your feet are stepping in a circle in the same direction as the flat hip circle.

sstacy123 - the move you're describing I do, but didn't have a name for before - corkscrew makes perfect sense to me though, as a description. You do a flat hip circle, and your feet are stepping in the opposite direction to the hip circle, which produces a different feel to the spiral.

Sorry, I don't know of any videos where these moves are demonstrated:(
D

sstacy123

the dvds I mention "do" go in the other direction circles one way and feet the other way "Adanced Oriental class" Zahra Zuhair, Middle Eastern Dancer she's very good at answering Q's e mail her :)

Well I bought the Magnificent Moves without emailing her...I'm a DVD fiend so it wasn't going to be the end of the world if it wasn't on there...I didn't see anything on that DVD that looked like what I saw at the workshop but I could have missed it...my attention gets off track sometime...but I didn't get the Advanced Oriental so I don't know. I'll have to email on that.