Practical and ethical photo problems

da Sage

Hi,

I just uploaded a photo to the Gallery from my computer (I have a HUGE costume file), because I want help finding a costume component (plastic sequins/dags) pictured there. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to embed the picture in the post I made to the Costume forum.

Also, I originally stole the photo (of Petite Jamilla) from the BDSS website. It even has the BDSS watermark. Is this a major no-no? Should I remove the photo? It's free publicity, but something tells me M.C. might be a little hard-core about controlling the pictures of his "assets".

Dev

Da Sage ..
Right click the picture you want to embed , Then click Copy image location.

Now when you post a reply there is a little button
Thats how it looks, You click that button and paste it by right clicking again.And then press ok.

Regarding using that picture of BDSS ,I dont see any problem if you are not using it for commercial purpose, Well to make them happy just put a link to their website.
regards.
Dev

da Sage

Hi Dipali,

I can Copy Image Location from the BDSS website, but not our gallery. I think this is "hot-linking", right?

But I can't put the picture into the post. The box says "page not found". Then when I just try to paste the location directly into the text, it says javascript:void(0)

Thanks for the instructions, though...they do make sense. I think I'm being defeated by site security measures on both sites.:rolleyes:

I suppose we can just refer people to OrientalDancer gallery for a few days. And the watermark has the BDSS website address right in it.

Da Sage ..
Right click the picture you want to embed , Then click Copy image location.

Now when you post a reply there is a little button
Thats how it looks, You click that button and paste it by right clicking again.And then press ok.

Regarding using that picture of BDSS ,I dont see any problem if you are not using it for commercial purpose, Well to make them happy just put a link to their website.
regards.
Dev

Dev

Hi Dipali,
I can Copy Image Location from the BDSS website, but not our gallery. I think this is "hot-linking", right?

Yes It is hot-linking.

But I can't put the picture into the post. The box says "page not found". Then when I just try to paste the location directly into the text, it says javascript:void(0)
Da sage
I am not quite sure why it is showing that error msg. I think its something to do with the browser you are using or the javascript is disabled in your computer.Check the internet setting and click enable javascript box . Hopefully it will help. I think the photo gallery in OD site is not downloadable.
"Hero" :D

Anatoliy

Administrator
Staff member
It's not good to steal. :naghty: Hot-linking is double "not good". :naghty::naghty: :lol:
Because when you hot-linking you steal twice. First - a picture, second - bandwith. And for both things someone pays. However if you contact an owner and explain what you want to do and what for - very often you will get a permission for "hot-linking". Alternatively, if you have a graphic editor you can create YOUR picture using a part of someone's picture. That is not a copiright violation. ;) Like the picture below that I made for you. :D

P.S. I'm not only giving you a permission to use the picture in your thread in the Costume forum, but I already inserted it for you there. :D

da Sage

It's not good to steal. :naghty: Hot-linking is double "not good". :naghty::naghty: :lol:
Because when you hot-linking you steal twice. First - a picture, second - bandwith. And for both things someone pays. However if you contact an owner and explain what you want to do and what for - very often you will get a permission for "hot-linking". Alternatively, if you have a graphic editor you can create YOUR picture using a part of someone's picture. That is not a copiright violation. ;) Like the picture below that I made for you. :D

P.S. I'm not only giving you a permission to use the picture in your thread in the Costume forum, but I already inserted it for you there. :D

Thank Anatoliy! I knew hot-linking wasn't good; that's why I tried to put the photo in the OD gallery first thing, so that we wouldn't be sucking off the BDSS bandwidth.

I know some artists and photographers have a big problem with other people using their work for icons and art, so I thought it would be best to take the whole picture and simply let people know where it came from. Thanks for creating the new pictures and putting them into the thread. Now I have two heroes!:cool::cool: