Post Thanks / Like

Default Choreographed Dance (i'm Back!!)

Hi guys! long time no see! wow its been FOREVER.

okay so ive been dancing again but i stopped my lessons because i can't afford it. However, i still have a lot of my dvds, so I can still learn and then youtube is an amazing website to brush up on alot of the moves. Anyways, that's not the point.

So my brother is getting married in two weeks and i wanted to do a choreographed dance for him and his fiance. However I am having a very tough time figuring out how to make a dance. I enjoy improvising alot just because I feel more freedom in my dance.

OKay so the song i want to use is Roxanne from Moulin Rouge. I just think that that song is amazing to dance to. So if you have any ideas of what I should do, please reply! I have some ideas but it just doesn't seem right to me...anway, thanks for your time (i'm sooo glad I'm back!!!)

Starrbursts

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back Starrbursts, sorry I can't help you out here but all the best anyway :-)

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back and it is nice to meet you.

Post Thanks / Like

hi, welcome back! Do you mean a bellydance choreo for you to perform at the wedding or a couples choreo for them as a gift?

Isn't it a quite tango-ish song? It's pretty strong and dramatic as I remember it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starrbursts View Post
    Hi guys! long time no see! wow its been FOREVER.

okay so ive been dancing again but i stopped my lessons because i can't afford it. However, i still have a lot of my dvds, so I can still learn and then youtube is an amazing website to brush up on alot of the moves. Anyways, that's not the point.

So my brother is getting married in two weeks and i wanted to do a choreographed dance for him and his fiance. However I am having a very tough time figuring out how to make a dance. I enjoy improvising alot just because I feel more freedom in my dance.

OKay so the song i want to use is Roxanne from Moulin Rouge. I just think that that song is amazing to dance to. So if you have any ideas of what I should do, please reply! I have some ideas but it just doesn't seem right to me...anway, thanks for your time (i'm sooo glad I'm back!!!)

Starrbursts
    Hi Starrbursts, and welcome back!

I love all the songs from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack, and I've danced around to them quite often, but not very well. I think they are hard to dance to. Although I saw the most amazing and wonderful interpretation of the "Bolero" recently, by a highly skilled local dancer. I loved it!

Anyway, much as I dig "Roxanne", I'm not sure it's the best song choice for a wedding. Maybe you could find some other music to work with. Are you choreographing a couple's dance, or a solo for you?

Post Thanks / Like

well it wouldn't be performing at the wedding. it would just be like be a gift to them before....yeah i know roxanne isn't the best song to dance to for a wedding gift but i just love it. lol my brother and his fiance shouldn't mind =]

Post Thanks / Like

"Roxanne" always makes me want to dance like Dina, complete with over the top emoting.

I know that you already do a lot of improv (which is fabulous!), but you may want to use your camera to record a few "trial runs" a couple of weeks before the performance. Then you can watch them, and decide which moves are your favorites, and which ones you don't like so well.

If your arents-pay put the ix-nay on the "oxanne-ray", I have another music recommendation for you: "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps". It's a more mellow Latin song, but very sexy too. I can't take credit for the idea; local dancer Iscah choreographed a lovely dance to it. I figure it's OK to pass on her idea since you're in OK and we're in MN.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starrbursts View Post
    ....yeah i know roxanne isn't the best song to dance to for a wedding gift but i just love it. lol my brother and his fiance shouldn't mind =]

ok now to me that just sounds ridiculous, no offense. of all days this is not your day, not your stage. i would say if you want to give a "gift" to your brother and fiance you should think more about what they would like and which is more appropriate and conducive to the context in which you will be performing. if you do what you wanna because you just love it...and they shouldnt mind, i would imagine it would come off as selfish as it sounds.

it is a gift for THEM. dont be the center of attention in this very important day, even if it is before the marriage. cater your performance to your brother and fiance, its not about you, its a gift...see?