Male Goth Dancers......Are there any?

Zardoz

While going through this forum I have seen several refferences to Goth belly dance and even gone to a few web sites that cater to the goths. From what I have seen this is very interesting to me. Can any tell me if there are any males dancing this style and if so could you post a link to some videos or a web page?

Thanks

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Probably not - its a *very* new style. That said, there's no reason you couldn't be the first!

I'm not Goth at all myself, but still the lifestyle has much to recommend it. I love the dark beauty - and I love the fact that male Goths strive towards beauty (as I do also).

Some of their music is really cool, more of it isn't (to me), I'm not into industrial-techno.

Here's a review of a Goth Belly Dance DVD:

Zorba's Video Reviews: Gothic Bellydance

MiaMi

Banned
Interesting...I'm curious about goth myself. It's so different to me, culturally. I guess that's why it is so compelling!

Zardoz

Probably not - its a *very* new style. That said, there's no reason you couldn't be the first!

Cool I have found my calling. I will be the first Male Goth Belly Dancer. Now all I have to do is get a costume, some good music and ... Oh yeah learn to dance. No problem, I am on my way. :D

MiaMi

Banned
HaHa good luck to you and I wish your the best in your taking up gothic belly dance. I like your ambition!

Kharmine

I've been on the fringes of goth for awhile -- I prefer to think of myself as a bohemian but I've been honored with the designation "eldergoth," if you please! (that's anyone over the age of 29, apparently).

Haven't seen a goth guy belly dancing -- and that would be a distinct improvement judging by the dance styles a lotta goths seem to prefer. (I highly recommend "What is Goth" by an extremely funny goth who calls himself Voltaire.)

The problem I've seen with most gothic belly dance -- I like the term Raqs Gothique, myself -- is that aside from the costume, makeup and attitude there's nothing distinct about the dance itself.

I would suggest reading Arabic literature of the "Thousand and One Nights" variety -- think of a djinn or Assassin (as in the cult headed by The Old Man of the Mountain) belly dancing. Think of one of those magic-wielding types who has turned his beloved into a sword and now dances lovingly with something that if he doesn't watch it will slice him up in seconds....

You get the idea. Goth belly dancing should be about more than looking sullen and provocative and swirling around in black veils and tattoos.

Zardoz

I've been on the fringes of goth for awhile -- I prefer to think of myself as a bohemian but I've been honored with the designation "eldergoth," if you please! (that's anyone over the age of 29, apparently).

Haven't seen a goth guy belly dancing -- and that would be a distinct improvement judging by the dance styles a lotta goths seem to prefer. (I highly recommend "What is Goth" by an extremely funny goth who calls himself Voltaire.)

The problem I've seen with most gothic belly dance -- I like the term Raqs Gothique, myself -- is that aside from the costume, makeup and attitude there's nothing distinct about the dance itself.

I would suggest reading Arabic literature of the "Thousand and One Nights" variety -- think of a djinn or Assassin (as in the cult headed by The Old Man of the Mountain) belly dancing. Think of one of those magic-wielding types who has turned his beloved into a sword and now dances lovingly with something that if he doesn't watch it will slice him up in seconds....

You get the idea. Goth belly dancing should be about more than looking sullen and provocative and swirling around in black veils and tattoos.

I guess Im an eldergoth too then (that doesnt sound to awful bad), becuase Im well over 29 and was into the dark mysterious vampiristic "goth" stuff before there was a name for it.

Also I like Raqs Gothique too, it sounds more Goth than goth. :D

I have read some of the "Thousand and One nights". The Assassin gives me some ideas.

Thanks