Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad

Quote Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
    OMG, I don't think I ever heard of anyone hating snake arms so much. I love snake arms, its so beautiful to watch and a powerful movement to perform. Georgeous arms compliement the body.

Yes, I think it could be rather challenging to learn, but with lots of pratice and training you'll be able to perform snake arms before you know it.

Please don't hate snake arms. Instead be positive and make it a goal instead.

My favorite dancer is Saida, she does wonderful arm movements.
    Here is a clip of her from my blog Lovely Saida
    Thank you for the link! Also I think youhave anice blog - I enjoyed the article about dishonest costume sellers!

Oh well, since my shoulders really causeme discomfort I will have to skip the shoulder drills.... I do not think I "overdo" it because it feels weird and unpleasant at once! I tried to keep up but it is best not to risk.... *sad*

I love the "floating" arms (I think Slinks described it) but it also involves "elbow rotation...."

Post Thanks / Like

Hey! I tend to agree with Gisela... Maybe you should look into yoga stretches and swimming to get the shoulders/arms work better. Because I have also developed a bit of a "crack" in my shoulders since I started a full-time office-job.

Slinks also has a very good point. Try to start with the shoulder rolls where your hands are hold down still and nice. And then you can just let the hands follow the shoulder rolls in sort of waves. It won't be a full dramatic snake-arm movement, don't take the arms too high, but it still looks lovely and graceful... And it might be less uncomfortable. When I do it, there isn't much elbow rotation...

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Maariku! I didnt know that you can do it without much elbow rotation! I will have to try that!

Post Thanks / Like

geez i always sound like a decrepit young person on here, so i'll just say yea mine hurts too.

i took a lot of shoulder roll out of my snake arms. now i maintain a slight tension in my arms and do a shoulder lift to an elbow lift to a wrist lift, like each part is being lifted up by a string. i dont know it might be the same exact thing just a different way of thinking about the move. but for some reason it seems to hurt less:shrug:.

have you felt this discomfort associated with other activities? rather than bellydance...you are your best judge as to what you should do

for me there are areas of my body that i just know are going to hurt because they always hurt and probably always will.

but i definitely agree warm that area up, get the blood and oxygen pumping in that area first, do the arm circles gently and slow, cross the arms back and forth in front of your body, swing them gently around...you get the idea i'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by charity View Post
    have you felt this discomfort associated with other activities? rather than bellydance...you are your best judge as to what you should do
    Actuallly I have never noticed it before, but on the other hand how often you roll your elbows to the ceiling outside dancing???

At the moment I am trying to something "floating" with the arms without rotation of the shoulder and elbow.... does not look the same, but it is better to take it easy when it comes to the pain in the joints, eh?

Hey I am also quite broken... I always have something hurting more or less... But I decide to stick to belly dance no matter what! (I have gone through a patch of severe depression a couple of years ago, and it really drained alot of energy from me, but i managed to stay off medication. My main problem is lack of energy and constant tiredness and sleepiness....) So I decided that BD is something i truely love and no matter what is hurting I am going to do it! (Well I mean as long as it is safe...LOL)

PS right now I have a cold that is going into complications, so Im off dancing for a couple of days.... Stick into the BD Day website...lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12