Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I just finished reading Mineko Iwasaki's memoirs "Geisha: A Life" and Liza Dalby's "Geisha" . These books are beatiful counterpoints to the fictional Arthur Golden's book "Memoirs of a Geisha" that clear up a lot of things that Mr. Golden got confused. Now every time I hear that oriental dance is dying/changing in the wrong direction/is plain misunderstood I think of geisha's and how misunderstood their craft is. "Geisha" means "a person of art"! and so many people think that they are courtesans! Liza Dalby's book is amazing since she was the only American/Western woman to ever become a geisha, and since Ms. Dalby is an antropologist, I definitely appreciated the scholarly aspects of her work.

Post Thanks / Like

I read Hundred Years of Solitude so long ago that I've forgotten the plot. I also read his book, Love in the Time of Cholera, which I thought was very good. I wonder if I can find Dr. Seuss in Espanol? The Sneetches is one of my all time favorite books (Now the Star Belly Sneetches had bellies with Stars, but the Plain Belly Sneetches had none upon thars... do you suppose there is a metaphor for belly dancing there somewhere? Now Style A belly dancers thought their bellies had stars and that other style dancers had none upon thars...)
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the middle of Pride and Prejudice for the 100th time, and The Secret Garden, and Flase Dawn; My life as a Gypsy women in slovakia.

I love Cornwall- seen Poldark loads of time even been and have a home where they filmed it. Beautiful place.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm reading The Clan of the Cave Bear "Earths Children" series by Jean M Auel.... for about the 17th time, I've been reading them since 1989 I just can't seem to put them down lol.... I've even started reading the first book as soon as I've finished the last !! I just love it...

But I have read other books they I enjoy re-reading too.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to have to check out some of these books. I'm always looking for something new to read

Right now I am reading a book called Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. Great book so far, I have a hard time putting it down. Once I finish up with this book I plan on reading Neuromancer by William Gibson.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately most of my reading list is W.O.A....waiting on author. I just finished Gorge R.R. Martin's A Feast of Crows. The guys my mom used to work with had gotten her hooked on his books, she in turn got me hooked and I got my dad hooked. Wonderful writing!! The four books out right now are all around 700+ pages and when you get to the end you are just counting days until the next book in the series comes out.
    I suppose I ought to slog through the lastest Robert Jordan Wheel of Time book. I started reading those when I was pregnant with my now 13 year old daughter. One of those series where the books started out really good but have become a chore to read anymore due to how much time passes between books. However I've invested this long int he silly things, ought to actually see the series to the end...LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Moomin books ! x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zurah View Post
    Let's see, I just finished the sixth Harry Potter book
    Me too ^_^. Horrible book I must say, not that I mean that it is lousy, it's just tragic... I cried many times, I just wasn't prepared for this person's death O_O. I've got a question for you. In my book there were 10-15 pages in the beginning which were also in the end and marked with those page numbers and after these pages the first chapters came. Was this on purpose or was it just something wrong with my book?

Post Thanks / Like

I know Zaahirah! I was kinda shocked too, it was so sad. Not long ago I read Mineko Iwasaki's book too, and I was so glad I did... not to say I didn't enjoy Arthur Golden's book, but I had trouble believing some of the stuff he wrote about Sayuri's life as a geisha... that mizuage thing in particular as he described it really creeped me out. I too am reminded of a lot of the things I read about in this forum's discussions when I think about geishas now.

Post Thanks / Like

haha... you read "One Hundred Years of Solitude" five times? Okay, you beat me.... that is one of my all-time favorite books and I have read it 3 times, in both English and Spanish...Shanazel, she's right, keep trying because the more you read, the easier it becomes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast