Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by charity View Post
    i think you may be right, which makes it even more appropriate i think.
    The tree hasbig thorns but also has white or yellow beautiful flowers which can be quite fragrant! I also think the word itself is very gentle-sounding...LOL I think that would make a cool name!
    Last edited by Reen.Blom; 07-21-2007 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

My real is plain old Sharon (which is Hebew : meaning The fertile Plains near the coast of Israel) and at the time I was dancing with a teacher, her name was Rasheeda so I thought, if I keep my name I will respond easier, so my dance name is Sharonda :-) and can not be found any where, so therefore it has no meaning but I have been refered to as Snakelady or Madusa .. so I have made my name Sharonda to mean just that !!! :-D

Post Thanks / Like

I dance under my own name for now, Iris. It is said to be a kind of blue flower and I've heard it means something that has to do with a rainbow in Greek, I'm not sure about that however.

I feel kind of awkward about choosing my own dance name, I'm hoping somebody will name me someday (and ofcourse that this name might connect to me lol).

Aniseteph, I always wondered wether it was an anagram of Stephanie, something with a deeper meaning, or a made up name. It sounds quite exotic though. How does one pronounce it?
    Last edited by Yshka; 07-21-2007 at 10:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yshka View Post
    I dance under my own name for now, Iris. It is said to be a kind of blue flower and I've heard it means something that has to do with a rainbow in Greek, I'm not sure about that however.

Aniseteph, I always wondered wether it was an anagram of Stephanie, something with a deeper meaning, or a made up name. It sounds quite exotic though. How does one pronounce it?
    Iris was the Greek goddess of the rainbow and a messenger of the Gods, and iris flowers are usually blue but can be other colours - white, cream, yellow, bronze. Very classy flowers.

Yes! Aniseteph is an anagram - my secret is out , with no deeper meaning whatsoever. I just hope it doesn't mean camel's behind or something unlovely in another language. Pronounced A-nee-set-ef. I liked it because a) it has a sort of ancient Egyptian feel (not that I buy into the Ancient Egyptian temple dance theories), and b) it reminds me of a daft radio play I once heard where Jim Broadbent's character had trouble pronouncing Amenhotep, and when he got it he couldn't stop showing off with it. So much for mystic Eastern exoticism.

As for "plain old Sharon" it reminded me of a girl called Sharon in my class in primary school (there's real ancient history for you) who got picked on a lot, and I still remember one of the teachers talking about where her name came from and why it was a beautiful name. What a great guy. You sort of lose the sense of names when you hear them a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I love reading the stories behind everyone's names!

Yshka ~ I danced under my own name forever until just recently. I'm sure someone will name you one day!

--

I only got my dance name like 2 months ago. I was performing in a show and it was the first time my grandmother had seen me dance. She grew up in Palestine and has mixed feelings about me doing much more than teaching and dancing in haflas, but that's another thing. She said she loved my dancing and it reminded her so much of the "real" dancers in the ME because I was such a gorgeous dancer. She suggested the name Gamalat (translates to gorgeous). Well, I thought "okay..." and mentioned it to one of my instructors and role models in dance. She said that she thinks that word is used more as an adjective than a name and suggested going by Miriam Gamal or Mary (my name) Gamal. Well, the first one sounded pretty and just felt right because it basically had my name and yet still included my grandmother's "name."

I had issues with a dance name for a long time just because I once had a dancer tell me she used one because "Ann" was too boring and couldn't dance so she had to be "Isis." (Names are made up) I just felt that it's me out there and my emotions I'm sharing, so it felt so weird until this came along that just "clicked."

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Yshka, I think Iris is beautiful! It sounds like quite a romantic name!

PS Slinks, Sharonda is cool! And hey you are the 1st Sharon I have ever met...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suheir View Post
    I saw a Mercedes with the registration 'E5HTA' last week!
    Oooooohhh!!!! I want it!!!!!!

Although doubt it would look so good on my little old micra

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yshka View Post

I feel kind of awkward about choosing my own dance name, I'm hoping somebody will name me someday (and ofcourse that this name might connect to me lol).

Well done for 'outting' Aniseteph, well spotted!

I think Iris is a beautiful name, you don't hear it very often...

Post Thanks / Like

My name and my stage name are the same, Janaki. But I have a secret name!!

About couple years ago, one arabic poet named me Jannah. I was attending an arabic peotry recital. After the recital, we sat together and and were simply discussing about each persons personality and the matching name in Arabic. That is how I got this name.

My arabic friends call me Jannah from time to time. It means "paradise"!!!
    Last edited by janaki; 07-22-2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: got the spelling wrong!!

Post Thanks / Like

Chryssanthi is my real name (it means "golden flower"). Sahar is my Arabian dance name (it means "dawn", or "morning star"). I didn't choose Sahar by myself, I have been given the name by the Arabian audience of an Egyptian restaurant in Stuttgart, where I used to dance regularly for about 4 years back at the late 80ies/early 90ies. They said, that it suits me Well, the story is actually even longer, but I'll tell it another time
    The Arabs in my area know me as Sahar, because it is difficult for them to pronounce (and remember) my real name Chryssanthi

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast