Your "Dance" Name

Lydia

chryssanthy,did we not have a thread similair to this??i remember you said your dauther name is Lydia in that thread??Anyhow there is even songs about Estha....Estha ya amar is 1....very nice!!!! Horacio and his wife have a nice routine on that music....And for me Lydia is my name for real ,i try to change it but it did not work...i worked in a ballet in Iraq under my own name...so when i came back as a solo artist ,people remembered me and said no you are Lydia so that was that..... Lydia was a country ,it was where now is Turkey just in the westside......like 4000 years ago....the oldest coin ever found said ,,Lydia,, it,s in the guiness book of records....And Chryssanthy told me she also was the first woman in europa to convert to cristianity !! so i geuss i just keep it!! have a great day( KEOMA KAYAM the artist name i picked those days!! )it is not a great pick when i look at it now!!!!LOL

Reen.Blom

Chryssanthi is my real name (it means "golden flower"). Sahar is my Arabian dance name (it means "dawn", or "morning star"). I didn't choose Sahar by myself, I have been given the name by the Arabian audience of an Egyptian restaurant in Stuttgart, where I used to dance regularly for about 4 years back at the late 80ies/early 90ies. They said, that it suits me;) Well, the story is actually even longer, but I'll tell it another time:)
The Arabs in my area know me as Sahar, because it is difficult for them to pronounce (and remember) my real name Chryssanthi;)

Hey Chryssanthi, how about the longer version of the story?....;)

Shanazel

There was such a thread, because I mentioned I made Shanazel up from Shoshana (rose) and zel (bell or zil). My real name is unusual, and I did use it waaaaay back when I first started dancing professionally. However, I discovered that putting a stage name on my business cards gave me an instant clue as to what a caller wanted as soon as he or she asked for "Shanazel." That allowed me a moment to put my brain into buiness mode.

It was also pleasant in non-dancing life to be introduced to someone and not have him say instantly, "Hey, are you that belly dancer I saw at (pick a place) last weekend?" while looking me up and down in a way that did not indicate interest in my brains and sense of humor. I lived in a small college town where belly dance was not universally repected as an art, especially by rugby-playing college kids.

Aniseteph, how clever of you, and how clever of Yshka to figure it out. I always think of elegant Egyptan cats when I see the name.

Last edited:

Aniseteph

Aniseteph, how clever of you, and how clever of Yshka to figure it out. I always think of elegant Egyptan cats when I see the name.

thank you :D , I shall try to live up to it!

Gotta go, sequins to sew on, costume crises happening. :doh: :whistle:.
Teacher will strangle me with my own hipscarf if it isn't done by Wednesday. ... :shok: :naghty:

(hahaha can you imagine CSI doing a belly dance murder. Getting epithelials off the coins etc etc :lol: Probably way too straightforward for them...)

Yshka

Lol, I'm sorry Aniseteph for outing your secret, We won't tell anyone:lol:. Anyway, it also makes me think of Egyptian names... Imhoteph was the first thing that came to mind when reading this yesterday. Maybe you could be an Egyptian goddess:cool:

Thanks dear girls for nice comments about my name. I'll keep it untill somebody names me (and ofcourse until I am given a name that is appropriate for me:D). You're all so nice!!

Now I would like to see that CSI ep!!

chryssanthi sahar

chryssanthy,did we not have a thread similair to this??i remember you said your dauther name is Lydia in that thread??

Your are right Lydia:D But I think the thread was before the forum got hacked down, probably that's why Reen.Blom. cannot find it anymore;)

For Reen.Blom: here is the full version of my name-story: When I was still a new dancer, I thought, I should have an Arabian name as dancing name, so I asked my Arabian friends to translate my real name Chryssanthi (which means "Golden Flower", as I allready mentioned) into Arabic. They told me the Arabian words for Golden Flower is "Sahra Thahabia". So I started introducing myself with that name to my Arabian audience (I've always been dancing very often for Arabs). But there was one problem: my pronunciation of "Sahra". It is a word with difficult pronunciation and I pronounced it wrong, so the Arabs understood every time something different, but never "flower". So one time some Egyptian guys proposed me, that I quit on that name and take the name "Sahar" instead, which is easier to pronounce and a beautiful girl's name in Egypt. Beside this there was a famous Egyptian dancer called Sahar Hamdi at that time and they told me, that my dance reminded them of her;) So I switched to "Sahar":D

Maria_Aya

How nice to be named by Hossam Ramzy :cool:

Well errr.. according to Hossam i'm the "Idiot Greek" lol
He calls me like this even infront of other people (but I know with a very caring sense), it cames to him, cause I never studied with Nelly Mazloum who was a legendary Greek-Egyptian dancer, and she was living the last 20 years of her life in Athens.

Now about my stage name.
Maria Magdalene is my normal name.
Was given the Aya from Suha Azar which have a double meaning, was a very old arabian female name, meaning "Illussion" and also its the "Quote" from Biblos or Koran.
But it felt too strange for me when people were calling me Aya, which turned to be very difficult in greek since with very similar sound we have Ayia which mean Saint lol, so I kept Maria Aya, even if people pronounce it as Maria Saint (which is not me by anything lol)

Shanazel

Well, isn't Maria Magdalene one of the stellar saints of the ages? And wasn't she a saint who sinned (SaintSin- I remember you explaining that long ago, Maria). Maria Saint seems to be an appropriate name for our Lady of the Kitchen Baladi!

Kharmine

Well, isn't Maria Magdalene one of the stellar saints of the ages? And wasn't she a saint who sinned (SaintSin- I remember you explaining that long ago, Maria). Maria Saint seems to be an appropriate name for our Lady of the Kitchen Baladi!

Mary of Magdala was one of the women mentioned in the New Testament who was an early follower of Jesus -- but that's about all we know of her, regardless of what "The DaVinci Code" claims!

St. Martha, sister of yet another Mary in the New Testament, is the best-known patron saint of the kitchen. But "Martha" just doesn't ring as a snazzy belly dancer name to me...

I chose my name because it is similar to my birth name and comes from the title of an antique piece of sheet music with a beautiful Egyptian woman on it. As far as I can tell, the song writer made it up, so I checked to be sure it didn't mean something unsuitable in Arabic!

Last edited:

chryssanthi sahar

But it felt too strange for me when people were calling me Aya, which turned to be very difficult in greek since with very similar sound we have Ayia which mean Saint lol, so I kept Maria Aya, even if people pronounce it as Maria Saint (which is not me by anything lol)

Haha, that's true:lol: When I first read Maria Aya, I indeed thought that you are calling yourself : Saint Maria:lol:, so I was kind of wondering:think:

Eshta

Well errr.. according to Hossam i'm the "Idiot Greek" lol
He calls me like this even infront of other people (but I know with a very caring sense), it cames to him, cause I never studied with Nelly Mazloum who was a legendary Greek-Egyptian dancer, and she was living the last 20 years of her life in Athens.

Hahaha, he only calls you this to your face, behind your back he's very complimentary about you! :lol::lol::lol:!

You can also see why I decided to make sure this nickname sticks!!

Now about my stage name.
Maria Magdalene is my normal name.
Was given the Aya from Suha Azar which have a double meaning, was a very old arabian female name, meaning "Illussion" and also its the "Quote" from Biblos or Koran.

Wow, saint Maria, I like it! Patron saint to all kitchen belly dancers all over the world!

Fire Lily

Hi everyone.

My 'Dance name' is...

'ADARA'

Meaning:
Hebrew word meaning 'Fire'
Greek name meaning 'beauty,'
And an Arabic name meaning 'virgin.'

Origin:
Welsh, Hebrew, Greek, Arabic

Variant Names: Adra Adar

Popularity of ADARA
This year (2007), ADARA was the 733rd most popular name, and is in the top 4% for the year.

Alaya

Hello.
My Stage name is KADIRA which means powerfull. I wanted to take KARIDA, but lider of our revia missunderstaned me, and since then I am Kadira, which to be honest I like much more then the one I wanted.And it fits me realy way as my part of the performance is to be powerfull and strong.