Changing Instructors

Motherof2

Hi everyone. I'm recently relocated and have just started with a new instructor (my 3rd teacher). I have always liked all of my instructors. I enjoy learning from different teachers, because they each offer something unique. This time, I have gone from a turkish/gypsy style teacher to a traditional style teacher, and there are some frustrations.

I wish there was some continuity in the names of steps/moves. When I showed my new instructor some of the things we did in my old class, and what we called them, she looked horrified.

How do instructors handle receiving a student who has learned from other styles, names of steps, etc. What is a good way for the student to approach the transition? Thanks.

Lydia

Hi mother of 2!!! When i get new students( what is happening every sunday that is my walk in beginners class) i usely ask where and what about the previous teacher ...I teach in the middle east so most students that i have ,do have a background of bellydancing at home or from other teachers...I dont say or make them feel it is not nice or wrong what they do ,even when it is very ,,foreign to me,,i usely like to see other things from new students ,it,s interesting to me....and i tell them not to forget what allready is learned,But to ad all the new things that i teach them and mix and combine it with the things they know already....only if it looks vulgair oops that is another story...... Lydia

belly taz

slinks

Yep most important rule is to have fun .. and Lydia is so very right .. never forget what you have learnt and add to it :)

I don't have a live teacher, I learn by dvds, so I have lots and lots of instructors, the first 18 months was by a live teacher and then the rest, I have been dancing 9 years this year, by dvds

Oh and BTW welcome to the forum :)

da Sage

Hi everyone. I'm recently relocated and have just started with a new instructor (my 3rd teacher). I have always liked all of my instructors. I enjoy learning from different teachers, because they each offer something unique. This time, I have gone from a turkish/gypsy style teacher to a traditional style teacher, and there are some frustrations.

I wish there was some continuity in the names of steps/moves. When I showed my new instructor some of the things we did in my old class, and what we called them, she looked horrified.

How do instructors handle receiving a student who has learned from other styles, names of steps, etc. What is a good way for the student to approach the transition? Thanks.

There is a time and a place for every dance move, although not all movements are safe for all people to execute. You might want to write down some notes on the old teacher's style, and then throw yourself into the new teachers style.

Many dance teachers are very opinionated in favor of their own personal style. Hopefully your new teacher will refrain from "talking smack" and making faces, and concentrate on explaining her own approach to certain moves, so you can enjoy class and learn her style.:)

janaki

Very well said Lydia and Da sage!!!

This is my 2 cents worth.

There are two part to teaching bellydance moves.

1. core moves of bellydance
2. stylized moves of bellydance.

Core moves like good posture, isolations, accents, shmmies, undulations, common travel steps should be taught by all the teachers more or less the same way. The approach of teaching could be different and naming of the moves could be different and the presentation could be different.

Stylized moves: Most of the teacher brings her own personal style, bellydance style (meaning egyptian. turkish, AmCab, Lebanese, fusion, etc.,) and borrowed styles from the other dances into her teaching. Also every teacher present these moves in many different ways.

I am an instructor in HK and I TRY and learn all names of every core move if possible. Also it is a good idea for the student to research and learn the same.

It is a great idea to learn from many different teachers and learn different styles. As a student you can learn from any teacher and in any style and make it your own.

PS: Some dance have unique moves that shows the flavour of that particular style. In this case it is not good mix the styles. For ex. it is not good to dance tukish gypsy style to an egyptian piece. :lol::lol::lol:

Good luck wtih your studying!!!