Thread: Newbie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie

Hello. This is my first day as a registered member here. My long dormant interest in Belly Dance was relit about a year ago after seeing a show where a young lady performed a belly dance at her Sweet 16 party on TV. As a dancer I'm a novice (if that). I live in a severely uptight little town in western New York state where the one dance instructor who offers BD lessons has trouble finding the 10 or more students she needs to keep her class viable (out of a population of 30,000 and she charges next to nothing!). My passion for Belly Dance must remain hidden because life tends to close itself completely to anyone who brings the least little scorn upon themselves here.

My YouTube channel is devoted entirely to Belly Dance and related material, with a growing collection of instructional videos arranged into helpful playlists. This is a paltry substitute for live instruction, but many of us simply don't have the resources for classes or even funds to buy instructional DVDs.

Tracy

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome spicedjellybeans (how original, love it :-) hope you have fun here, it certainly is sad that that you live in such an uptight little town ..

You've come to the right place to keep the belly dancer in you alive :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you for the welcome

Dear Slinks

Thank you for the welcome.

Here's the link to my YouTube channel. I have been joining bellydance forums today, and simply coyping and pasting my two posts from the first forum I joined, completely forgetting to insert a live link.

spiced

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there...welcome and have a nice time overhere...happy posting Lydia

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there!

You came to the right place. Welcome!!! Happy sharing and learning!!!

Cheers
    Janaki

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, Tracy! Don't let the people in your town get to you - dancing is a wonderful thing. We'll be here as your moral support, and I am sure you'll find dance buddies to team up with. Enjoy the forum!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!

~\/~

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi!

Hi and welcome! I live in a rural town too, so I understand about having a small belly dance community. I think it's really important to take classes with an instructor. I look for workshops that I can drive to with other classmates. Sometimes I resort to DVDs.

I think that the people who have a bad impression of belly dance don't know what it is. I've had people ask me if belly dancers are strippers! I try to explain the history of belly dance, what it is, what it is not, and I try not to sound angry.

The most important thing is that you enjoy the classes and have fun.