Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm one of that section's moderators, so I'm obviously partial to it, but I too often wish for more new discussions (emphasis on the new) in the principal forum. I prefer now to lurk mainly, and not to start discussions myself because many subjects I'm interested about have been discussed already (sometimes ad nauseam) in older threads, or because I, too, fear that the question will open a can of worms... I have to agree with the posters that said the section can be a welcome escape from that sometimes.

  2. #12
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Games, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by da Sage View Post
    I hardly ever go to games...they just aren't my thing. I prefer table-top games, with RL friends (why isn't there a big nerd icon?).

    The forum still has plenty of relevant content, IMO. I am also more annoyed by the constant hair-splitting showdowns that pop up all over the board. While I appreciate the points made, I get tired of seeing the same points made over and over and over again. I try not to contribute to those discussions (so as not to prolong the irritation), but occasionally I have not been able to help myself.
    Dear da Sage,
    Since I am one of those people who does get involved in hair splitting conversations, I will respond to this post. I have received private emails from members who really appreciate those same conversations that you do not care for. Things are usually hashed and rehashed with many new points being brought in from both sides, I think. This is a public forum and all kinds of people will be here, liking different aspects of the forum.It is a simple matter to simply quit reading what I do not care for. I also occasionally do not respond, for example, the new one on the male Turkish belly dancer. I have plenty to say, but will refrain because I feel that it really will not make any difference to the poster. Her mind is made up. I feel that as far as games, etc go, I do not have to get involved if I am not interested, and then I do not receive notification about them. That is one of the really good things about this forum.
    Regards,
    A'isha

  3. #13
    Moderator Shanazel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Rocky Mountains USA
    Posts
    15,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zurah View Post
    I'm one of that section's moderators, so I'm obviously partial to it, but I too often wish for more new discussions (emphasis on the new) in the principal forum. I prefer now to lurk mainly, and not to start discussions myself because many subjects I'm interested about have been discussed already (sometimes ad nauseam) in older threads, or because I, too, fear that the question will open a can of worms... I have to agree with the posters that said the section can be a welcome escape from that sometimes.
    Thanks for moderating the intrepid (and sometimes fanatical) gamers among us! It does seem we've discussed some topics to death, doesn't it? But once in a while someone comes up with a devastatingly brilliant observation that makes all the lurking worthwhile! I particularly enjoy the belly dance videos of styles I am not familiar with that illlustrate the good, the bad, and the ugly- gotta see them all in order to tell one from the other. I also enjoy reading life experiences of instructors, performers, and students. There was a "tell your favorite belly dance story" thread for a while that I particularly enjoyed. There are not a lot of belly dancers where I live, and the forum allows me to interact with people I'd never get to know otherwise.

  4. #14
    V.I.P. Reen.Blom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Between Heaven and Earth Upside Down
    Posts
    3,708
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well said Shanazel! It is very nice to interact with other bellydancers here! And I do think that games allow us to get to know each other better!

  5. #15
    V.I.P. slinks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia, Sunny Queensland
    Posts
    1,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reen.Blom View Post
    Well said Shanazel! It is very nice to interact with other bellydancers here! And I do think that games allow us to get to know each other better!

    agreed .. it's so much fun having people from all over the world at ones finger tips .. that you can know and get to really like

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Thanks for moderating the intrepid (and sometimes fanatical) gamers among us! It does seem we've discussed some topics to death, doesn't it? But once in a while someone comes up with a devastatingly brilliant observation that makes all the lurking worthwhile! I particularly enjoy the belly dance videos of styles I am not familiar with that illlustrate the good, the bad, and the ugly- gotta see them all in order to tell one from the other. I also enjoy reading life experiences of instructors, performers, and students. There was a "tell your favorite belly dance story" thread for a while that I particularly enjoyed. There are not a lot of belly dancers where I live, and the forum allows me to interact with people I'd never get to know otherwise.
    My pleasure - aside from my daily bd dose, I too enjoy reading from people strewn all over the world talking about how they live.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    811
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i think games are a light hearted way to relate to people on here with a common interest in bd.

    the serious topics become heated due to different perspectives and backgrounds. they often appear uninviting and intimidating to newbies. plus, though i have participated in a few, i find them trivial debates. these are opinions, they change and so yes the topics do contradict and change and can become confusing or irrelevant.

    but again, dont like it, dont read it. if you dont want to open a can of worms dont respond. if you want to bring the topic back on track, ignore those irrelevant replies and push forward with the original topic.

    its very simple.

    and though i can see that all the new posts being game related can be irritating, i simply browse the forum by the subjects. instruction, off topic, games...etc.

    though another issue i have recognized is the tendency for newbies to post technical dance questions. rarely are they answered by "veteran"/"seasoned"/"experienced" dancers. usually another newbie replies. and its along the lines of, 'i do this and that and i think this and that but i dont know...'. we are really left to pan it out amongst ourselves and therefore makes me wonder what purpose the forum really serves if we cannot find the resources that we initially had sought.

    i do enjoy the forum, and have learned something or at least received some sort of inspiration or motivation from this forum but some times and on some threads i find the environment more and more uninviting due to "serious" topics. and so i tend to enjoy the games thread a bit more.

  8. #18
    Senior Member sedoniaraqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    cultural wasteland of the midwestern US
    Posts
    583
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    First of all, I threw my opinion out about all the games, not as a complaint, or demand that they be removed, or anything else -- just an opinion. I had thought it a number of times and decided to share, see what others thought, etc.

    Second, in response to this:

    Quote Originally Posted by charity View Post
    though another issue i have recognized is the tendency for newbies to post technical dance questions. rarely are they answered by "veteran"/"seasoned"/"experienced" dancers. usually another newbie replies. and its along the lines of, 'i do this and that and i think this and that but i dont know...'. we are really left to pan it out amongst ourselves and therefore makes me wonder what purpose the forum really serves if we cannot find the resources that we initially had sought.
    I can throw out a few reasons why. I do answer technical questions on occasion. They are usually questions that are best answered person to person in the context of a live lesson, and to convey the information in a way that is at all meaningful requires alot of thought, analysis, and careful choice of words.

    Just as an example, a while back I wrote two detailed replies about 3/4 shimmies. FYI it probably took me in excess of an hour to compose them.

    Interestingly around the same time there was a thread about learning without a teacher, and there are a number of beginner dancers who ask questions but don't have a teacher. At least several mentioned that they can't take classes because the nearest teacher is an hour away.

    Sedonia

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    811
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    yea this is true. it is very hard to articulate instruction. and i do remember the 3/4 shimmy response. it was a good description that takes time to settle in your mind because you have to read and do it at the same time. and i wish people would understand that. because there has been some good advice.

    edit:

    ps i know you're not complaining.
    Last edited by charity; 08-02-2007 at 07:51 PM.

  10. #20
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Dance, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by charity View Post
    i think games are a light hearted way to relate to people on here with a common interest in bd.

    the serious topics become heated due to different perspectives and backgrounds. they often appear uninviting and intimidating to newbies. plus, though i have participated in a few, i find them trivial debates. these are opinions, they change and so yes the topics do contradict and change and can become confusing or irrelevant.

    but again, dont like it, dont read it. if you dont want to open a can of worms dont respond. if you want to bring the topic back on track, ignore those irrelevant replies and push forward with the original topic.

    its very simple.

    and though i can see that all the new posts being game related can be irritating, i simply browse the forum by the subjects. instruction, off topic, games...etc.

    though another issue i have recognized is the tendency for newbies to post technical dance questions. rarely are they answered by "veteran"/"seasoned"/"experienced" dancers. usually another newbie replies. and its along the lines of, 'i do this and that and i think this and that but i dont know...'. we are really left to pan it out amongst ourselves and therefore makes me wonder what purpose the forum really serves if we cannot find the resources that we initially had sought.

    i do enjoy the forum, and have learned something or at least received some sort of inspiration or motivation from this forum but some times and on some threads i find the environment more and more uninviting due to "serious" topics. and so i tend to enjoy the games thread a bit more.


    Dear Charity,
    I am an older dancer who answers "technical dance questions" that do not require the actual human body to answer. there are many times when explaining a movement without the physical dynamic is not a good way to impart information since no corrections or validations can be done without myself and the questioner both being physically present. it is not that those question are ignored, but that they need a body to demonstrate.
    And, as you say, I agree entirely with the idea that if you don;t like a thread, then don;t read it!
    Regards,
    A'isha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •