games vs. dance talk

sedoniaraqs

I find myself reading and posting on this forum less and less because the "new posts" page is more and more games and prizes, and off topic posts. This morning 15 of the first 25 new posts were from these two categories.:confused:

Sedonia

Shanazel

One evening (my time) there were several of us all on the games at once and it became a bit of a game to race around and play fast. Doesn't happen often, but was lots of fun- sort of like a chat room. Some of the dance related threads got so hot recently that it was a relief to escape into some nonsense for a while.
Don't give up, Sedonia. Start some new mainline threads and I'll be there to follow them.

janaki

I feel the same from time to time!! I go to other forums and and see majority of the stuff is about selling costumes ( swap meets). But I am happy that here, I still see some very good quality posts!!! I wish there are more than less.

Moon

I don't see what's wrong with the game section? If you don't want to read them, it's ok, just ignore them. There are still a lot more serious threads here. Maybe the people who prefer serious threads only should post more? ;);)

I personaly like most threads (apart from some games and threads about dvds)

Ariella

I'm not really into the game section either. I find it easy enough to navigate around them and get to the other forum stuff...

Reen.Blom

As for me I never use "new post" search I visit different parts of forums to see if the threads got new post! So it does not bother me!

As for games I think it is very cool, cos my internet is slow, so i open several games and while I read serious threads(I read much much more than I post- i am a 'lurker') I play some games- it is indeed like a chat! It is especiallyu nice if there are other pppl playing at the same time!

I think the solution would be if the game threads were not counted as "new posts" in the search.... but afraid that might be impossible!

Chat! I need chat!...LOL

slinks

Some of the dance related threads got so hot recently that it was a relief to escape into some nonsense for a while.

I agree here and like Reen I lurk in the other pages too .. Some of the threads just get too hot and way off the topic .. :rolleyes:

As Shanazel said, there were a few of us online playing games the other night and it was fun :lol: we always get some belly dance words in, we don't forget where we are ...

I do like serious bellydance threads but not when they turn into big serious debates about what is right and what is wrong and some times they are very intimidating or very contradicting :shok:

I would still play the games even if I did contribute to the belly dance threads

Moon

Sedonia, maybe subscribing to some serious threads you like would work for you? Then you get an e-mail notification when someone posted in one of the threads of your interest, and you don't have to visit the forum anymore when there are only new posts in the game section.

Safran

I don't visit the game threads that often, but I do see their value at the forum... They build the group culture, and often help you learn a whole lot about other forum members. Besides, they can turn out to be hilariously funny every now and then :cool:

I use the new posts function too, as it gives a very good overview of what has been going on. And, the good thing is that every thread with new posts that is listed there, also has the indicator, of which section it is in. So you can just overlook the games and head for the other sections with more content.

I hope you won't leave us, Sedonia :pray:;)

da Sage

I hardly ever go to games...they just aren't my thing. I prefer table-top games, with RL friends (why isn't there a big nerd icon?).

The forum still has plenty of relevant content, IMO. I am also more annoyed by the constant hair-splitting showdowns that pop up all over the board. While I appreciate the points made, I get tired of seeing the same points made over and over and over again. I try not to contribute to those discussions (so as not to prolong the irritation), but occasionally I have not been able to help myself.:redface:

Zurah

I'm one of that section's moderators, so I'm obviously partial to it, but I too often wish for more new discussions (emphasis on the new) in the principal forum. I prefer now to lurk mainly, and not to start discussions myself because many subjects I'm interested about have been discussed already (sometimes ad nauseam) in older threads, or because I, too, fear that the question will open a can of worms... I have to agree with the posters that said the section can be a welcome escape from that sometimes.

Aisha Azar

Games, etc.

I hardly ever go to games...they just aren't my thing. I prefer table-top games, with RL friends (why isn't there a big nerd icon?).

The forum still has plenty of relevant content, IMO. I am also more annoyed by the constant hair-splitting showdowns that pop up all over the board. While I appreciate the points made, I get tired of seeing the same points made over and over and over again. I try not to contribute to those discussions (so as not to prolong the irritation), but occasionally I have not been able to help myself.:redface:

Dear da Sage,
Since I am one of those people who does get involved in hair splitting conversations, I will respond to this post. I have received private emails from members who really appreciate those same conversations that you do not care for. Things are usually hashed and rehashed with many new points being brought in from both sides, I think. This is a public forum and all kinds of people will be here, liking different aspects of the forum.It is a simple matter to simply quit reading what I do not care for. I also occasionally do not respond, for example, the new one on the male Turkish belly dancer. I have plenty to say, but will refrain because I feel that it really will not make any difference to the poster. Her mind is made up. I feel that as far as games, etc go, I do not have to get involved if I am not interested, and then I do not receive notification about them. That is one of the really good things about this forum.
Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

I'm one of that section's moderators, so I'm obviously partial to it, but I too often wish for more new discussions (emphasis on the new) in the principal forum. I prefer now to lurk mainly, and not to start discussions myself because many subjects I'm interested about have been discussed already (sometimes ad nauseam) in older threads, or because I, too, fear that the question will open a can of worms... I have to agree with the posters that said the section can be a welcome escape from that sometimes.

Thanks for moderating the intrepid (and sometimes fanatical) gamers among us! It does seem we've discussed some topics to death, doesn't it? But once in a while someone comes up with a devastatingly brilliant observation that makes all the lurking worthwhile! I particularly enjoy the belly dance videos of styles I am not familiar with that illlustrate the good, the bad, and the ugly- gotta see them all in order to tell one from the other. I also enjoy reading life experiences of instructors, performers, and students. There was a "tell your favorite belly dance story" thread for a while that I particularly enjoyed. There are not a lot of belly dancers where I live, and the forum allows me to interact with people I'd never get to know otherwise.

Reen.Blom

Well said Shanazel! It is very nice to interact with other bellydancers here! And I do think that games allow us to get to know each other better!

slinks

Well said Shanazel! It is very nice to interact with other bellydancers here! And I do think that games allow us to get to know each other better!

:D :D :D :D agreed .. it's so much fun having people from all over the world at ones finger tips .. that you can know and get to really like :clap:

Zurah

Thanks for moderating the intrepid (and sometimes fanatical) gamers among us! It does seem we've discussed some topics to death, doesn't it? But once in a while someone comes up with a devastatingly brilliant observation that makes all the lurking worthwhile! I particularly enjoy the belly dance videos of styles I am not familiar with that illlustrate the good, the bad, and the ugly- gotta see them all in order to tell one from the other. I also enjoy reading life experiences of instructors, performers, and students. There was a "tell your favorite belly dance story" thread for a while that I particularly enjoyed. There are not a lot of belly dancers where I live, and the forum allows me to interact with people I'd never get to know otherwise.

:D My pleasure - aside from my daily bd dose, I too enjoy reading from people strewn all over the world talking about how they live.

charity

i think games are a light hearted way to relate to people on here with a common interest in bd.

the serious topics become heated due to different perspectives and backgrounds. they often appear uninviting and intimidating to newbies. plus, though i have participated in a few, i find them trivial debates. these are opinions, they change and so yes the topics do contradict and change and can become confusing or irrelevant.

but again, dont like it, dont read it. if you dont want to open a can of worms dont respond. if you want to bring the topic back on track, ignore those irrelevant replies and push forward with the original topic.

its very simple.

and though i can see that all the new posts being game related can be irritating, i simply browse the forum by the subjects. instruction, off topic, games...etc.

though another issue i have recognized is the tendency for newbies to post technical dance questions. rarely are they answered by "veteran"/"seasoned"/"experienced" dancers. usually another newbie replies. and its along the lines of, 'i do this and that and i think this and that but i dont know...'. we are really left to pan it out amongst ourselves and therefore makes me wonder what purpose the forum really serves if we cannot find the resources that we initially had sought.

i do enjoy the forum, and have learned something or at least received some sort of inspiration or motivation from this forum but some times and on some threads i find the environment more and more uninviting due to "serious" topics. and so i tend to enjoy the games thread a bit more.

sedoniaraqs

First of all, I threw my opinion out about all the games, not as a complaint, or demand that they be removed, or anything else -- just an opinion. I had thought it a number of times and decided to share, see what others thought, etc.

Second, in response to this:

though another issue i have recognized is the tendency for newbies to post technical dance questions. rarely are they answered by "veteran"/"seasoned"/"experienced" dancers. usually another newbie replies. and its along the lines of, 'i do this and that and i think this and that but i dont know...'. we are really left to pan it out amongst ourselves and therefore makes me wonder what purpose the forum really serves if we cannot find the resources that we initially had sought.

I can throw out a few reasons why. I do answer technical questions on occasion. They are usually questions that are best answered person to person in the context of a live lesson, and to convey the information in a way that is at all meaningful requires alot of thought, analysis, and careful choice of words.

Just as an example, a while back I wrote two detailed replies about 3/4 shimmies. FYI it probably took me in excess of an hour to compose them.

Interestingly around the same time there was a thread about learning without a teacher, and there are a number of beginner dancers who ask questions but don't have a teacher. At least several mentioned that they can't take classes because the nearest teacher is an hour away.

Sedonia

charity

yea this is true. it is very hard to articulate instruction. and i do remember the 3/4 shimmy response. it was a good description that takes time to settle in your mind because you have to read and do it at the same time. and i wish people would understand that. because there has been some good advice.

edit:

ps i know you're not complaining.

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

Dance, etc.

i think games are a light hearted way to relate to people on here with a common interest in bd.

the serious topics become heated due to different perspectives and backgrounds. they often appear uninviting and intimidating to newbies. plus, though i have participated in a few, i find them trivial debates. these are opinions, they change and so yes the topics do contradict and change and can become confusing or irrelevant.

but again, dont like it, dont read it. if you dont want to open a can of worms dont respond. if you want to bring the topic back on track, ignore those irrelevant replies and push forward with the original topic.

its very simple.

and though i can see that all the new posts being game related can be irritating, i simply browse the forum by the subjects. instruction, off topic, games...etc.

i do enjoy the forum, and have learned something or at least received some sort of inspiration or motivation from this forum but some times and on some threads i find the environment more and more uninviting due to "serious" topics. and so i tend to enjoy the games thread a bit more.

Dear Charity,
I am an older dancer who answers "technical dance questions" that do not require the actual human body to answer. there are many times when explaining a movement without the physical dynamic is not a good way to impart information since no corrections or validations can be done without myself and the questioner both being physically present. it is not that those question are ignored, but that they need a body to demonstrate.
And, as you say, I agree entirely with the idea that if you don;t like a thread, then don;t read it!
Regards,
A'isha