Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a middle ear problem, being deaf .. and used to get quite dizzy, training oneself to spot and spin is the only way to overcome the waves of nauseous and dizziness .. I had been turning and spinning from the start of my 9 year dancathon, lol, but when I decided to do double veil, at the start of this year, I definately had to retrain myself so I could spin longer and faster, it didn't take long though about a week ... but the first day I spun to keep those veils up, boy, was I nauseous for a whole day !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    I've rarely had students sit out spin and turn practice, but occasionally a person with inner ear problems has trouble. Not much I know to do about that. I do teach my students to rewind themselves (spin in the opposite direction) if they get dizzy. I don't know why that seems to help, but it does. I start out with the simpler, slower spins (obviously) and work up the endurance of my students for spinning.

Which turns do you find students pick up easily?
    i can't remember the exact explanation but it's something about the fluid in your ear (i think) which affects your balance; when you spin and the fluid moves around in that direction, a counter spin reverses it so it helps to minimise the dizziness. Or at least that's how my instructor explains it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12