why people like this put out instructional clips on youtube

Sara

Suhier, I have just read that article and I couldn't help but laugh! :lol: It just made my mouth fall open.

I am sure she's a lovely person, but that article does her no justice. All she does is talk about being the centre of everyone's attention and how good she actually is...:think:

I'm just curious. If a person is hearing impaired, how do they 'hear' the music as it was? :think:

gisela

Super Moderator
How about this advanced belly-dance lesson where you learn a "sahiti hip drop". Must be very advanced, I certainly have never yet heard of something called Sahiti. Or am I uninformed?:confused:

p.s. the sound doesn't work, so you have to go to YouTube to see the video-info.

Edit: She's not REALLY bad but not really good either. It was mostly the weird description on this vid that made me react, so I don't mean to diss this girl.

Last edited:

slinks

I'm just curious. If a person is hearing impaired, how do they 'hear' the music as it was? :think:

Hi Sara :D and every-one, I am hearing impaired, I've quoted it in some post .... vibrations, it's not hear the music, it's feel the music and we can't feel the really high pitched stuff though, which is a pitty because I really love taxim, it must be very deep based .. hard to explain ... and then of course there are hearing aids which I refuse to wear :confused: :lol:

That said, there is NO reason for such silly instructions such as that one !! :lol: I have over 60 dvds and I follow them fine ..

I'm my happiest when I'm dancing :D

Shanazel

There are a lot of different types of hearing loss. Mine involves speech discrimination. I can tell people are talking, but I cannot always understand what is being said. I hear instrumental music okay (I think:)) but there are songs I have listened to for forty years and still have no idea what the words are because I can't understand them. I have a hard time when there is a lot of background noise or when a person has a low, soft voice. Phone calls are murder, and so are meetings held in large echoing rooms. The condition is hereditary; my father had it and so does my brother. People have suggested hearing aids (as if I never thought of it-duh) but they tend to make the problem worse if they have any effect at all.

It is a nuisance, but hardly life threatening, and most people are very good about facing me when they talk once they know there is a problem.

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

Dance etc.

That is a generous assessment, but hearing impaired people aren't necessarily sight impaired and can follow visual instruction without deliberate, overdone movement. This is the visual version of people who exaggerate the movements of their mouths when they discover I have a hearing problem and need to watch them speak in order to hear them- such exaggerations actually make understanding more difficult.

Dear Shanazel,
Howard Gardner is a guy who does research on the many different ways people learn. Some people are more visual, or auditory or tactile in their learning process. He has so far discovered 8 learning styles and I bet those with hearing issues fit nicely into some of his categories. One of my Arab friends was getting a Master's in teaching foreign students (It is very early in the morning and I can't remember the title of the degree.) She wrote her thesis on learning styles and I corrected her English for her. I was so fascinated by his work as she related it in her thesis that I ended up doing research on the subject myself and wrote an article relating learning styles to teaching and learning dance. It is on my website (Raqs Azar ), in the library. It's called "Multiple Intelligences".
Regards,
A'isha

Brea

Sometimes I worry that I am not good enough to teach even after all these years (you know we are our own worst critics). So many things I've seen on this thread make me wonder what I was thinking. I think one of them looked like an actual bellydance class! ?!?!

;)

-Brea