Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Group,
    The thing that REALLY bothers me about this kind of thing is that there are probably two teachers out there who are somehow giving these people the impression that this is acceptable, leading by example, etc. It is a multi-tiered issue with many subtle elements. These two are among many!!
    Regards,
    A'isha
    Well, I know there is a teacher who posts free demos on YouTube. I think this is a great resource.

Are you saying that teaching for free is not acceptable, or that video teaching (which eliminates feedback) is not acceptable?

In general, I think that people who are too "special" to take classes tend to be that way regardless of whether instruction is available for free (or not).

Post Thanks / Like

As an instructional tool for inexperienced dancers, I'd say yeah, videos are unacceptable.

I don't intend to leap in for A'isha here, but attempting to learn any skill without feedback is not effective. A video can't answer questions or offer encouragement (and I don't mean having someone croon, "You're wonderful! You're warrior goddesses!" to her unseen students). It is easy for an untutored student to misinterpret what she sees on video and develop bad habits she isn't even aware of. As a sole tool for learning to dance, video teaching is completely unacceptable, especially if the quality of teaching is as poor as these examples- and how is an untutored student going to know the difference?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by da Sage View Post
    Well, I know there is a teacher who posts free demos on YouTube. I think this is a great resource.

Are you saying that teaching for free is not acceptable, or that video teaching (which eliminates feedback) is not acceptable?

In general, I think that people who are too "special" to take classes tend to be that way regardless of whether instruction is available for free (or not).

Dear daSage,
    I was not referring to YouTube or any other video source, but to people who try to teach dance before they even understand a thing about it, as was seen in the two examples in this thread. Teaching for free is up to the individual, but hopefully they would how how before doing so. Teaching without knowing one's material is never acceptable. That is what I found objectionable.
    I have a video on the market myself. At the end of it, I inform the students that they need a live instructor to help them with the material because I can not give them any feedback. That is the honest thing to do.
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    ....and if the bullshit has plenty of sequins on it, maybe you can dazzle 'em a bit as well.
    Hahaha LOL! Sequinned bullshit! That's just stopped me thinking about the horrors of that godawful costume on the male dancers thread - thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it would help if we offered "critiques" of their videos -- to focus on something they do well, suggest some things they can do better, refer 'em to a veteran teacher's video for examples of how they can improve their act. We don't have to validate what they're doing, but ignoring 'em won't make 'em go away, either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kharmine View Post
    Maybe it would help if we offered "critiques" of their videos -- to focus on something they do well, suggest some things they can do better, refer 'em to a veteran teacher's video for examples of how they can improve their act. We don't have to validate what they're doing, but ignoring 'em won't make 'em go away, either.
    Great point made Kharmine!!! I am going to give my suggestions.

As A'isha said it I am more worried about the teachers (if any) out there who are somehow giving these people the impression that this is acceptable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear daSage,
    I was not referring to YouTube or any other video source, but to people who try to teach dance before they even understand a thing about it, as was seen in the two examples in this thread. Teaching for free is up to the individual, but hopefully they would how how before doing so. Teaching without knowing one's material is never acceptable. That is what I found objectionable.
    I was confused when you referred to two teachers. I thought it was the same girl on both the videos posted, so I inferred (apparently erroneously) that you had some other two teachers or "teachers" in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree that these two are in no position to be posting instructional videos - no matter how many times you introduce yourself as an amateur, what is the point of posting instructions if you are trying to disclaim the instructions you're giving?

BUT in the same way that these videos damage the credibility of our dance, our response as a community of dancers should equally reflect on the calibre of the dance. Rather than flaming these two girls and being nasty about them, surely it's more constructive to perhaps send them a message that commends them for their enthusiasm - and the first girl is clearly motivated by her enthusiasm - and wanting to share that with as many people as they can, but explaining to them that these kind of videoas are best left to the experts, and why that is the case. It's possible they'll disagree anyways, but they may actually take it on board to some degree. At least then it's been handled with the dignity and respect that we are trying to earn ourselves as belly dancers.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched another video by the second girl and the description was somethiing like "I decided I don't like what they teach at bellydance classes so I do whatever I want".
    And then she makes "bellydance instructional video's" herself???

Paris, FRANCE or Cairo, EGYPT or Bratislava, SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG, that girl really is a thing...she got some issues, damn...but I have to say, I find her shakira military training video hilarious!!!! just look at her face, how serious she is about her stuff (I know it is rather worrying, but don't tell me you didn't at least smile a bit, when you saw it! hehe)

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast