why people like this put out instructional clips on youtube

janaki

I just saw these clips and am disappointed and frustrated. There are viewers leraning from these clips and leaving comments about how good they are and stuff :rolleyes::rolleyes:I ask "why they need to do this "?? Why why why????? In the first clips she claims she is ameture. Then I ask "why she need to put out an instructional clip"?? Why why??

Moon

OMG!!!

I mean... that was very helpful! I alsways wanted to learn how to do bellydance-army fusion on music by Shakira!

Aisha Azar

Omg

OMG!!!

I mean... that was very helpful! I alsways wanted to learn how to do bellydance-army fusion on music by Shakira!

Dear Janaki and Moon,
I second the OMG. At the same time I am ever mindful that there are many professional "belly dancers" out there who are giving people the impression that it is just fine for them to do this kind of thing, to Shakira or whatever, dressed however, using whatever movements as long as you throw in the occasional "hip-up". WE are the people who are making it okay. After all, it is all belly dance, right?
Regards,
A'isha

da Sage

I was going to say that this is one way she can put video of her doing sexy bellydancing on YouTube, without actually putting up something titled "Sexy Dancing". But upon further investigation, she demonstrates no such inhibitions.:confused:

It is clear that she is practicing to be a teacher. She's either modelling her teaching style after her own teacher's, or developing her own style.

I'm of two minds about this. The person who starts preparing early to teach, may be better-equipped to teach once the occasion arises. But that person may also be more likely to jump into teaching before they are really ready.

Also, with video instruction, a new teacher can't tell if her students are truly improving from her instruction. So I think this is not a good way to learn how to teach.:naghty:

I think making the videos is a great idea (so she can review them later). Posting them to the web is not such a great idea, but she's well within her rights.

Aisha Azar

Dance, etc.

Dear Group,
The thing that REALLY bothers me about this kind of thing is that there are probably two teachers out there who are somehow giving these people the impression that this is acceptable, leading by example, etc. It is a multi-tiered issue with many subtle elements. These two are among many!!
Regards,
A'isha

Aniseteph

:confused: Yeah, just WHY?
Rant deleted, what's the point. We can all put whatever we like on YouTube and defend ourselves with the mighty shield of don't be horrid to me I'm just an amateur. :rolleyes: the rant's starting again... It'd just be nice to think that anyone who loved the dance so much would have enough respect for it not to imagine they were teaching us "how to belly dance".

Second one reminded me of airline safety demos.

Perhaps it's a way to add International Instructor to the bellydance cv one day.

(Eww, I AM uncharitable today - might feel better after a beer and a curry :D)

Shanazel

Some people prefer being stoned to being ignored (I mean "stone" as in "rock", of course). If I was a pop psychologist with a desire to write a pop psychology book for the masses, I'd explore the desire people have to be looked at and to be acknowledged, if only by a world of people they never meet face to face. Of course, perhaps someone has already written this book. I'm not up to date on psychology, whether it pops or not.

There's also the theory that if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, you can baffle 'em with bullshit, and if the bullshit has plenty of sequins on it, maybe you can dazzle 'em a bit as well.

da Sage

Dear Group,
The thing that REALLY bothers me about this kind of thing is that there are probably two teachers out there who are somehow giving these people the impression that this is acceptable, leading by example, etc. It is a multi-tiered issue with many subtle elements. These two are among many!!
Regards,
A'isha

Well, I know there is a teacher who posts free demos on YouTube. I think this is a great resource.

Are you saying that teaching for free is not acceptable, or that video teaching (which eliminates feedback) is not acceptable?

In general, I think that people who are too "special" to take classes tend to be that way regardless of whether instruction is available for free (or not).

Shanazel

As an instructional tool for inexperienced dancers, I'd say yeah, videos are unacceptable.

I don't intend to leap in for A'isha here, but attempting to learn any skill without feedback is not effective. A video can't answer questions or offer encouragement (and I don't mean having someone croon, "You're wonderful! You're warrior goddesses!" to her unseen students). It is easy for an untutored student to misinterpret what she sees on video and develop bad habits she isn't even aware of. As a sole tool for learning to dance, video teaching is completely unacceptable, especially if the quality of teaching is as poor as these examples- and how is an untutored student going to know the difference?

Aisha Azar

Dance, etc.

Well, I know there is a teacher who posts free demos on YouTube. I think this is a great resource.

Are you saying that teaching for free is not acceptable, or that video teaching (which eliminates feedback) is not acceptable?

In general, I think that people who are too "special" to take classes tend to be that way regardless of whether instruction is available for free (or not).

Dear daSage,
I was not referring to YouTube or any other video source, but to people who try to teach dance before they even understand a thing about it, as was seen in the two examples in this thread. Teaching for free is up to the individual, but hopefully they would how how before doing so. Teaching without knowing one's material is never acceptable. That is what I found objectionable.
I have a video on the market myself. At the end of it, I inform the students that they need a live instructor to help them with the material because I can not give them any feedback. That is the honest thing to do.
A'isha

Aniseteph

....and if the bullshit has plenty of sequins on it, maybe you can dazzle 'em a bit as well.

Hahaha LOL! Sequinned bullshit! That's just stopped me thinking about the horrors of that godawful costume on the male dancers thread - thanks!

Kharmine

Maybe it would help if we offered "critiques" of their videos -- to focus on something they do well, suggest some things they can do better, refer 'em to a veteran teacher's video for examples of how they can improve their act. We don't have to validate what they're doing, but ignoring 'em won't make 'em go away, either.

janaki

Maybe it would help if we offered "critiques" of their videos -- to focus on something they do well, suggest some things they can do better, refer 'em to a veteran teacher's video for examples of how they can improve their act. We don't have to validate what they're doing, but ignoring 'em won't make 'em go away, either.

Great point made Kharmine!!! I am going to give my suggestions.

As A'isha said it I am more worried about the teachers (if any) out there who are somehow giving these people the impression that this is acceptable.

da Sage

Dear daSage,
I was not referring to YouTube or any other video source, but to people who try to teach dance before they even understand a thing about it, as was seen in the two examples in this thread. Teaching for free is up to the individual, but hopefully they would how how before doing so. Teaching without knowing one's material is never acceptable. That is what I found objectionable.

I was confused when you referred to two teachers. I thought it was the same girl on both the videos posted, so I inferred (apparently erroneously) that you had some other two teachers or "teachers" in mind.

Eshta

I completely agree that these two are in no position to be posting instructional videos - no matter how many times you introduce yourself as an amateur, what is the point of posting instructions if you are trying to disclaim the instructions you're giving?

BUT in the same way that these videos damage the credibility of our dance, our response as a community of dancers should equally reflect on the calibre of the dance. Rather than flaming these two girls and being nasty about them, surely it's more constructive to perhaps send them a message that commends them for their enthusiasm - and the first girl is clearly motivated by her enthusiasm - and wanting to share that with as many people as they can, but explaining to them that these kind of videoas are best left to the experts, and why that is the case. It's possible they'll disagree anyways, but they may actually take it on board to some degree. At least then it's been handled with the dignity and respect that we are trying to earn ourselves as belly dancers.

Moon

I watched another video by the second girl and the description was somethiing like "I decided I don't like what they teach at bellydance classes so I do whatever I want".
And then she makes "bellydance instructional video's" herself???

Ranya

OMG, that girl really is a thing...she got some issues, damn...but I have to say, I find her shakira military training video hilarious!!!! just look at her face, how serious she is about her stuff (I know it is rather worrying, but don't tell me you didn't at least smile a bit, when you saw it! hehe)